cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First and Hopefully, Only Complaint

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We’ve only had our “C” (Ford 450 chassis) for a year....but have a repetitive problem. When leveling (HWH system), on uneven terrain (we boondock).....we get enough frame “Flex” that the door jambs, and we cannot open or close! Does anyone else experience this issue?
We can solve the problem, by driving up on blocks....but that kinda defeats the reason to have a leveling system!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl
17 REPLIES 17

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
We did a LOT of boondocking in a diesel pusher with HWH jacks.

You need to use blocks to get reasonably close to level so the jacks are pushing straight up and NOT torquing or twisting the frame.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
We have HWH jacks on our 31' class c and its great. Always runs 2 Jack's together and never twists the frame. They are not kick downs but a Friend of ours had kick downs and they seemed OK.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
azpete wrote:
memtb, the one jack now working would explain the racking. you are trying to level with three jacks. you need a service manual to check out why its not working. if you email me at pfmaddox@att.net, i will send you one for the kickdown jacks. what year is your coach?
after you determine what is the cause, you can have it repaired at hwh, for a lot less than prices you see on the internet. they only charge for the parts used and some labor.
please feel free to contact me at 1-602-549-3638
paul maddox
i do work for hwh. i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum.

No! Only in auto.....works fine in manual! On nice level ground, jacks work fine.....as stabilizers. Just don’t work worth a d@#* as a leveling system in uneven terrain!

In “auto” the right rear jack folds down.....but the ram will not deploy the foot ( will not move). In “manual” the hydraulic ram works fine!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
I am encouraged by the trend of this thread. Azpete is the guy you need and he's here. Your problem is mostly if not entirely that one Jack and you may be able to resolve this yourself.
Great news!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
memtb, the one jack now working would explain the racking. you are trying to level with three jacks. you need a service manual to check out why its not working. if you email me at pfmaddox@att.net, i will send you one for the kickdown jacks. what year is your coach?
after you determine what is the cause, you can have it repaired at hwh, for a lot less than prices you see on the internet. they only charge for the parts used and some labor.
please feel free to contact me at 1-602-549-3638
paul maddox
i do work for hwh. i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
The frame-twisting must be significant to affect door closure. I wonder how well the structural seam-work of the house holds up to that.

I had wondered if we should have gotten levelers for our E350 rig, but reading this thread puts me at rest over the decision we made 11 years ago. It's been Lynx blocks for us from the beginning with our rig, and will continue so.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I have auto levelers and still use blocks if not on level surfaces BEFORE trying to use the levelers. Makes a big difference on the stresses the frame must endure as it then makes the unit think its sitting on level ground. Also plan on putting blocks under the jacks to help it get level instead of on the ground.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all, so far.....it’s starting to look like bringing “MORE” blocks ( under tires) may be in order! :M
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Do you level side to side before front to back ?

Attempt to do whatever necessary to level unit! Seems not to matter, which is first adjusted....front to back or side to side!

Though, I’m open to suggestions! ??
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
If your HWH system is automatic, have you calibrated the HWH level sensor.

Said another way, when you automatically level, ARE you level?

Sensor adjustment is quick and easy and only requires a screwdriver.

Does not work in auto, one rear jack does not move at all ( mother board, or whatever) needs repair. Must send in....and likely ( they said) expensive! Works fine in “manual”! B
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
memtb wrote:
We’ve only had our “C” (Ford 450 chassis) for a year....but have a repetitive problem. When leveling (HWH system), on uneven terrain (we boondock).....we get enough frame “Flex” that the door jambs, and we cannot open or close! Does anyone else experience this issue?
We can solve the problem, by driving up on blocks....but that kinda defeats the reason to have a leveling system!

That should never happen if your HWH system is functioning so as to be "complying with the requirements of geometry". Trying to twist the coach structure is a no-no for many reasons.

Whether leveling side-to-side or front-to-back - the lift should ALWAYS be the same amount and at two corner points so the supporting frame under the coach is not twisted.

For example:

For side-to-side - always correct by lifting both the front and rear tires on the right or left side by the exact same amount.

For front-to-back - always correct by lifting both front tires or both rear tires by the exact same amount.

Doing the above keeps the frame under the coach from twisting.

I use this approach all the time but with wooden blocks. The principle should be the same with a properly designed and operating automatic system.

Where an automatic system really shines is if coach leveling requires both side-to-side adjustment AND front-to-back adjustment. It was a challenge at first, but I finally figured out to handle this complex leveling situation using wooden blocks ... and hopefully our coach structure hasn't been compromised over the years from twisting at campsites.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
My 28-year-old RV has HWH kick-down jacks, but they are all independently operated.

But yes, the RV does flex from them.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Didn’t know anything about the HWH, when we bought....a selling feature for us! Now wish that it came without....I’d have put on a Bigfoot System.....have one on our 5er and love it. But, can’t blame the HWH for this! We can get it level by using manual mode and a little “jockeying” the rig around a bit (can’t get “auto” to function properly).....verifying with a level, but have the door issues!
It appears, though “not” proven.....that it is frame flex!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Our HWH is manual and always moves two jacks at once. Supposed n to prevent that twisting. It does NOT. I sight down the side, see how racked it is, and try to adjust. Coach door still works though. At this point I'm usually frustrated since I want to run one jack but HWH runs two. And, ours are kickdown, so by then the jack I had to pull to vertical manually now needs it again.
Our system's one PITA. I truly hope you work yours out and it does well for you.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB