cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

does anyone know what this is

mfredm
Explorer
Explorer
in the basement of my newmar baystar i found a thin metal rod about 5 feet long with a 90 degree bend at one end and an eye hook at the other
20 REPLIES 20

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
do you have manual pull window awning?

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Powered Awning. We have the rod and a strap. It is used to retract the awing in a somewhat controlled manner when the motor fails and you disconnect the power motor. If you dot use it the awing will slam against the RV. It is in the awing owners manual how to use it.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I use mine to pull down the window awnings.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Girard awnings have a loop in the front. A rod goes in the loop to spin it to manually close the awning. OP doesn't say what brand of awning is on his coach..I, too have that same rod but it's for pulling down all the manual awnings around the coach. Only the door and large awnings are electric.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Yup!
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:
Sounds like an awning loop. Used to open your awning. Look for s loop of fabric near the middle of the awning.

Also handy as a fire poker.

Yes that is the Awning Rod NOW if you have power awnings you wont have that loop but with manuals it is used to Flip the latch then you hook the loop of fabric and pull it down,

(On autonmatic electric awnings you will have the "Strap" in your owner's manual bag or should have. for when the Motor fails. Read the instruction manual)

FIre poker.. I use mine to snag "pads" under my jacks or planks under my tires and a host of other "I need longer arms to snag something) uses.

One of the handier tools that came with the RV.

OH. in another thread folks were discussing how tight sewer fittings and outlet caps are.. I should hope they are tight. but on my RV it's hard to reach in and get a good grip.. So a slip joint type oil filter Plier type tool Like you might use to change oil filters.

Been lugging that thing around 13 years and just recently figured out IT IS PERFECT for the job.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
A Bay Star with a manual awning? I guess it could happen.

Edit - 3 minutes late with the posting. No idea how to get a power awning back in if there's a problem. Got a manual on my coach. First place I would check is the awning manufacture for a possible solution. There are procedures to retract a slide so I would hope there's something for the awning.

I think if I tried to deploy it and it didn't go out electrically, I surely wouldn't pull it out manually unless something in the manual gives instructions.
bumpy

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, I got one of them also, but I have an electric awning.
But I have use it for a lot of things, like pushing the blocks under the jacks when the site is soft.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of a "let them eat cake" type of post. ๐Ÿ™‚
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
It is for pulling down the small manual awnings on individual windows.
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
mfredm wrote:
yes that is it, but i have a powered awning and the end caps are where the motor is. is this a manual pull down, and if so how do you get it back up if the motor doesent work

I have the same, and there was an awning strap in my docs folder when I purchased the RV. Think there are instructions on how to
disengage the awning motor so you can get it in, whilst holding the strap.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The Awning pull rod will not do anything for a Powered Awning. That rod was installed because I will assume you have window awnings which require that rod to pull them down. Doug

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of those came in my DP also even though I have electric / automatic awnings also.

Keep it in case you get additional manual awnings installed over some other windows or the refrigerator.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itโ€™s there as a โ€œbackupโ€ incase the awning motor dies for what ever reason in the extended position. There should also be a fabric strap somewhere to slide into a channel just like the manual awnings. I forget the details, but there IS a procedure to disconnect the motor and using the strap and the rod raise the awning. Once the motor is disconnected the awning will try to close and you will want the strap and rod to keep it from slamming against the MH. At least this is my understanding.

On edit: You should have a manual for the awning that explains the procedure. If you need one, PM me with your email and I can send you a PDF copy. The manual talks about the strap but not the rod, so you may have gotten lucky.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT