cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What 4X4's best for Flat-Towing?

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 35' Class A 2017 Newmar Ventana LE DP with a 340 HP Cummins. I'm considering a 2nd vehicle to easily tow behind it, and realize there are far too many options to list or ask for.

Nevertheless, I was hoping for a bit of insight from forum members with more experience than I, and hope to narrow down my list from here.

This 4X4 won't be used for any other adventures requiring same. In fact, it'll likely be used as a primary drive-around-town vehicle, should I decide to off the FWD I currently use. There's myself, and my dog... Big SUV's & Mini Cooper's need not apply...

Ease in the appropriate towing accoutrements, cost, installation, connectivity are desired, but given my inexperience, perhaps I don't realize what I'm asking...

Suggestions?
18 REPLIES 18

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
Decide what you want to drive, given what you will be doing with it (i.e. go drive candidate cars). Wranglers are great off road, but sacrifice comfort, utility, and economy on road (I own one). Pre 2015 CRV is considerably lighter and much friendlier on road as a run about, but not for off road adventures (I own one). I'd guess a Grand Cherokee (with the right transfer case), would be half way between - better on road than a Wrangler, better off road than a CRV. You need to decide which trade offs works for your intended use.
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
cableguy574 wrote:
Jeep Wrangler 2 or 4 door, easy set up to tow all 4 down

X2. Towed Cherokee and three different Wranglers.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering why you would consider a 4x4 if you wouldn't be driving it off-road? Other cars have better mileage.... but aren't as fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

Here are Motorhome Magazine Towing Guides:

http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Gottahaveit
We love our Jeep Grand Cherokee and have found a need to use the 4wd more than a few times. This is also my daily driver so comfort was a must.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
obiwancanoli wrote:
I have a 35' Class A 2017 Newmar Ventana LE DP with a 340 HP Cummins. I'm considering a 2nd vehicle to easily tow behind it, and realize there are far too many options to list or ask for.

Nevertheless, I was hoping for a bit of insight from forum members with more experience than I, and hope to narrow down my list from here.

This 4X4 won't be used for any other adventures requiring same. In fact, it'll likely be used as a primary drive-around-town vehicle, should I decide to off the FWD I currently use. There's myself, and my dog... Big SUV's & Mini Cooper's need not apply...

Ease in the appropriate towing accoutrements, cost, installation, connectivity are desired, but given my inexperience, perhaps I don't realize what I'm asking...

Suggestions?

Wrangler of course.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

lily123456
Explorer
Explorer
You can consider a Grand Vitara

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
4x4s are more expensive if you don't need it .
Many cars & suvs are towable 4 down .
Don't believe a car salesman most won't know anyway
Read the owners manual and make sure you know it says for sure
it can be towed .

bumpus4
Explorer
Explorer
Jeep Wrangler with a Blue ox tow bar and a professional installed base plate is what I have. Works great. Bumpus4

AdequateRV
Explorer
Explorer
Pre 2015 Honda CR-Vs are also very popular. That's what I tow.

I use a tow bar I got at a garage sale for $10 and just found an almost new brake buddy for $100.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
If you are thinking pickups to carry the HD, look at the Fords, about 1000 lbs lighter than the other 1/2 tons.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
When you go down the roads,
And you look at the toads.
You'll see Jeep after Jeep,
'til they disrupt your sleep.

Wrangler... or if you want the Cherokee, it's more like a SUV.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I would do. Take a look at the Dinghy towing guide. This link is for 2018 vehicles but you can go back in years if you seek a used vehicle. Just google the older guide. While the list isn't inclusive of everything that can be towed it really is for many of us that aren't looking for any modifications.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Most Ford, Chevy, and Dodge 4x4 pickups are towable depending on year and model. You should check the owner's manual under "Recreational Towing" or the FMCA towing guide for the particular year.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Ram 4x4
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX