Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations for slide lubrication?

davehultin
Explorer
Explorer
Hi forum,

What kind of lubrication do you use / recommend for use on a slide mechanism?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS
10 REPLIES 10

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Some manufacturers claim you don't need to lube them for propaganda purposes. The thing is, when you do lube them they move obviously better.
Dry lube has been the standard thing to use but I notice on my present rack and pinion type slide that it goes away within a few actuation (the gears rust).
So I'm going to try using a chain lube.

What ever the case, lubing them will make them work better and wear less. Besides, it's common sense that anytime gears work together there should be a lubricant between them.

JMHO.

Chain lube will cause dirt and grit to stick to the gears, which will accelerate wear.

Why would you not follow the manufacturer's recommendation?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
The Lippert/Schwintechs need lubrication with CRC Power Lube. We camp a lot (travel about 15K miles a year) so I lubricate mine at the beginning of the season and halfway through. Google lubricating schwintech for how to videos. I think the most important thing that needs lubrication is the vertical gear driveshaft that passes through two bushings.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Slip Plate brand graphite spray. Goes on and drys like paint. Seems to reduce rust also. I have an exposed rack and pinion mechanism.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My slide is a rack and pinion set up. It is covered on the bottom. I do not believe it was intended to be lubed very often.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

davehultin
Explorer
Explorer
This problem definitely moved past the "lubrication can fix it" stage. Take a look at these pictures. First this one:

Now look right between the top of the dinette and the couch. See that weird wrinkle in the wall?

Now, here's a closeup:

It seems what's happening is that when the slide comes in the last few inches to seal completely, that the bottom of the slide room drops and pulls the dinette away from the wall. Any ideas what's going on here?

---

Hmmm. Don't know why those photos rotated on me. Tip your head 90 degrees to the left when you look at them please!

Dave Hultin
----------

davehultin
Explorer
Explorer
I did look at my owners manual now (talk about overlooking the obvious!) and it says to lubricate the slide's support/guide tubes (not the gears part) with lithium grease. I'll try that tomorrow mow before we pack up and head out.

This thread is a follow-up to my recent post about the slide getting out of alignment (or something like that) when I move it in, to the point of potentially causing damage to the interior wall and dinette on that part of the slide. Hopefully the grease will help because the service appointment on the trailer is over a week away yet. Seems like there will be more to "the fix" than just grease, but it's a start...

Dave Hultin
----------

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Depends on what kind of slide you have.

I've had my rig since 2009 and never considered lubing the slide. Works fine.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Some manufacturers claim you don't need to lube them for propaganda purposes. The thing is, when you do lube them they move obviously better.
Dry lube has been the standard thing to use but I notice on my present rack and pinion type slide that it goes away within a few actuation (the gears rust).
So I'm going to try using a chain lube.

What ever the case, lubing them will make them work better and wear less. Besides, it's common sense that anytime gears work together there should be a lubricant between them.

JMHO.

trailerbob
Explorer
Explorer
Several u tube videos on the subject, just google: In-Wall Slide-Out System - Mechanism Lubrication. It also depends on the manufacturer of the slide out. Mine are Schwintek and the one I watched from Lippert on Schwintek used a CRC dry lube with PFE. Hope it helps.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lippert doesn't recommend lubricating their slides. Check with your slide or RV manufacturer.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015