cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2019 RAM 1500 Longhorn Hybrid eTorq Review

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's a review of a Ram 1500 Longhorn with the eTorq system.

Link

BTW... I'm not feeling the pumkin color interior of the new Longhorn.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
33 REPLIES 33

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
I wonder if you can plug the E system truck into your travel trailer when boondocking and forgo the need for $3K of solar stuff and a lawnmower engine generator?

I considered this but I think the battery is still too small. Might be possible if there's a way to increase that battery size, or better yet, RAM offer a bigger battery!

Personally, I'm going to buy a few large capacity external batteries that can power laptops and phones so that they don't drain RV's battery during the evening/night.

Also, although high-end trucks are expensive, this is perfect for someone like me. I no longer need to consider owning two vehicles because they offer nice features/technology on these trucks. It comes out cheaper in my case...

Your mileages may vary...

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wonder if you can plug the E system truck into your travel trailer when boondocking and forgo the need for $3K of solar stuff and a lawnmower engine generator?

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
VernDiesel wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Is it my imagination or are RAM trucks getting uglier and uglier? Sure are getting expensive, 65 grand for a coil sprung 1/2 ton short bed grocery getter... Not for me.

Not a fan of the new looks either it looks more like the new fordgmtoyota. Yea they are getting more expensive not just from inflation but gadgets that people spring for. Not me just specked a 4 door 6.5 bed 19 Hemi RAM Big Horn for 41k. Looked at a new f150 the other day with a sticker sniffing 70k and it still has the antiquated leaf springs from horse carts and model T days. Even straight trucks did away with them 50 years ago.

Agree about the 5 1/2' boxes I ordered the 6 1/2' box in my RAM which has fit motorcycles, ATVs, riding lawn mowers even a heavy golf cart. Just air up the bags for smooth compliant & controlled ride even on rough road. Semi's have been promoting air ride for decades since they dumped leaf springs and had to overcome the reputation for jarring bouncing and breaking contents.

Air Ride is very much the go with Cabover Semis. Is the RAM ugly ?looks very Asiatic. I noticed the Canadians are getting more a subdued RAM 1500
Japanese Garbage Truck

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
boshog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
GBuilders wrote:
Wow I like it. I have been in my buddyโ€™s new F150 King Ranch and by the video I like the Ram better. When are the new designs coming for the HD Rams?

New Ram HD's are coming out next year as a 2020 model.

The new HD generation launch has been a moving target. He is a post from a dealer I found on the Cummins forum;

"So... Corporate was here yesterday. This is what I was told...

In January the "reveal" will be a 19 with a "refresh". It will not be a 20 model. There were exactly zero details on the new sheet metal past that. There are other internal communications that say the same thing. A "complete" redesign looks like it's on hold.

I am reading between the lines and taking conversations I have had with several people including the national Ram manager. I think the light duty redesign has been met with lackluster enthusiasm and that has caused them to put the brakes on the HD sheet metal. This is purely my speculation.

They also said yesterday that ALL the HD production is scheduled to move to Detroit in June next year. I'm left scratching my head at the wisdom of trying to pull off the logistics of that move all at once. That is what I was told but I remain skeptical.

With the current ordering and production schedule for the 18s and 19s I think we are going to see inventory issues until at least this time next year.

I am still being told there are going to be engine changes. I have no idea what that means. Cummins isn't that far away and I sell a good many to the people there. But they are as tight lipped as a pharmaceutical company doing research on a new drug to cure cancer.

I am still digging to find information. In the mean time I am ordering 18s hoping my inventory lasts until May of next year...."

It wouldn't make financial sense to retool an entire factory on a old body design. If this were the case the ROI would probably be years and would lock ram into producing a aging truck for quite some time.

Having said that Fiat appears to be using Ram and Jeep's profits to maintain there other profit loosing brands which only prevents the tow profit centers from receiving the funds they really deserve.

Kind of a redistribution of wealth!

The link quoted improved aerodynamics which would be more important with half tons as they are subject to CAFE and have to publish EPA fuel economy numbers.

I actually like the exterior look and the features, the Longhorn interiors have always seemed overkill to me.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I see absolutely nothing on that truck that would encourage me to trade my 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD in on it, even though my truck has over 400K on the odometer!
First off, I would likely be dead before I got it paid for. No, thanks.
Secondly, I do not want a 4 door truck. My "Quad Cab" is perfectly adequate for my needs. It is simply a "Club Cab" with half doors. I like it.
Thirdly, this new truck (and most new cars) has entirely too much electronic gadgetry. It WILL fail, and it WILL be expensive to repair or replace. There is a good chance you will be unable to find anybody to repair it, so replacement will be the only option. IF you can find the parts. Of course, any failure will occur AFTER the warranty expires!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
boshog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
GBuilders wrote:
Wow I like it. I have been in my buddyโ€™s new F150 King Ranch and by the video I like the Ram better. When are the new designs coming for the HD Rams?

The new HD generation launch has been a moving target. He is a post from a dealer I found on the Cummins forum;

In January the "reveal" will be a 19 with a "refresh". It will not be a 20 model. There were exactly zero details on the new sheet metal past that. There are other internal communications that say the same thing. A "complete" redesign looks like it's on hold.

I am reading between the lines and taking conversations I have had with several people including the national Ram manager. I think the light duty redesign has been met with lackluster enthusiasm and that has caused them to put the brakes on the HD sheet metal. This is purely my speculation.

They also said yesterday that ALL the HD production is scheduled to move to Detroit in June next year. I'm left scratching my head at the wisdom of trying to pull off the logistics of that move all at once. That is what I was told but I remain skeptical.

With the current ordering and production schedule for the 18s and 19s I think we are going to see inventory issues until at least this time next year.

I am still being told there are going to be engine changes. I have no idea what that means. Cummins isn't that far away and I sell a good many to the people there. But they are as tight lipped as a pharmaceutical company doing research on a new drug to cure cancer.

I am still digging to find information. In the mean time I am ordering 18s hoping my inventory lasts until May of next year...."

It wouldn't make financial sense to retool an entire factory on a old body design. If this were the case the ROI would probably be years and would lock ram into producing a aging truck for quite some time.

Having said that Fiat appears to be using Ram and Jeep's profits to maintain there other profit loosing brands which only prevents the tow profit centers from receiving the funds they really deserve.

Kind of a redistribution of wealth!
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
GBuilders wrote:

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Nope, sidecars truck is the best one ever made and they should have just stopped there and not bothered with all this new "junk". Just Ask him. That's blasphemy to even suggest a new.....gasser...gasp....could even be capable enough to be allowed to park next to it in the parking lot. Plus it's the only truck ever that could kick Chuck Norris' @ss!
I heard the Smithsonian called though, wanting to put it on display.

This...... made me spit out my coffee because I was laughing so hard!
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ShinerBock wrote:
VernDiesel wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Is it my imagination or are RAM trucks getting uglier and uglier? Sure are getting expensive, 65 grand for a coil sprung 1/2 ton short bed grocery getter... Not for me.

Not a fan of the new looks either it looks more like the new fordgmtoyota. Yea they are getting more expensive not just from inflation but gadgets that people spring for. Not me just specked a 4 door 6.5 bed 19 Hemi RAM Big Horn for 41k. Looked at a new f150 the other day with a sticker sniffing 70k and it still has the antiquated leaf springs from horse carts and model T days. Even straight trucks did away with them 50 years ago.

Agree about the 5 1/2' boxes I ordered the 6 1/2' box in my RAM which has fit motorcycles, ATVs, riding lawn mowers even a heavy golf cart. Just air up the bags for smooth compliant & controlled ride even on rough road. Semi's have been promoting air ride for decades since they dumped leaf springs and had to overcome the reputation for jarring bouncing and breaking contents.

Semi's haven't dumped leaf springs. They use leaf springs in conjunction with air bags.

As far as inflation, I would wager that if one compared a truck with the same amenities and capabilities as their older truck; adjusted for added government regulated components like air bags, Anti-lock braking, or electronic stability control then they would probably within a thousand or so with inflation. The technology packed trucks of yesterday are today's base model truck so you can't compare a Lariat to Lariat or Laramie to Laramie.

Then there is the fact of capabilities. In sidecar's truck year, you needed a 350/3500 diesel truck to tow 10k. That could easily be done by an HD half ton or gas 3/4 ton today.

Nope, sidecars truck is the best one ever made and they should have just stopped there and not bothered with all this new "junk". Just Ask him. That's blasphemy to even suggest a new.....gasser...gasp....could even be capable enough to be allowed to park next to it in the parking lot. Plus it's the only truck ever that could kick Chuck Norris' @ss!
I heard the Smithsonian called though, wanting to put it on display.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SidecarFlip wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:

Go price a loaded Ford or Chevy, and let me know how ugly the Ford is compared to the Ram. And I do believe the 1500 can do more than just pick up groceries!

Said before, 65 grand is more than I paid for my farm and my farm makes money. Real estate appreciates. Vehicles depreciate.

I'm not in the market to buy a new vehicle and if I did (which I did last year), I'd buy a low mileage off lease with a factory warranty.

Step right up, keeps the economy rolling but in my case, ain't gonna happen.

Finally, they are still ugly.

That is the consummate statement that proves a person is, well, Ahhh nevermind.
I paid $150k for my first house and it wasn't even a farm. Did have 3 acres though, lol. Did I get ripped off? Shoot, my first car was $1500 and my latest one was $43k. I must be getting dumb cause I got ripped off!
To make it worse, my current full time house is in the high 6 figures for value! I must have gotten ripped off. But I paid 300k less? Now I'm confused, and looking for a 65k farm to buy.....Found one in N WI, should I buy it? But wait history says it'll never be worth more than that up there in that depressed part of the country. But is it still a good deal?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
VernDiesel wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:

Semi's haven't dumped leaf springs. They use leaf springs in conjunction with air bags.

As far as inflation, I would wager that if one compared a truck with the same amenities and capabilities as their older truck; adjusted for added government regulated components like air bags, Anti-lock braking, or electronic stability control then they would probably within a thousand or so with inflation. The technology packed trucks of yesterday are today's base model truck so you can't compare a Lariat to Lariat or Laramie to Laramie.

Then there is the fact of capabilities. In sidecar's truck year, you needed a 350/3500 diesel truck to tow 10k. That could easily be done by an HD half ton or gas 3/4 ton today.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:

Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
So I was a couple years ahead of RAM on the camera in the grill?

The other day at Safeway, I parked with my front bumper a couple inches for the car in the adjacent park spot, and my wife stayed in the truck. The lady came out of the store and my wife said she walk to the front of her car three times to look at the spacing. I asked my wife if she exampled it to the lady, that I had a camera that looked straight down at the front bumper (just like the new RAMs). She said no!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I think the exteriors of the new Rams look much better than the ones they are replacing. The new 2019 Chevys on the other hand I think are getting uglier and I'm a GM guy.

All the bling though I can leave behind.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel