cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic Fridge

RollingRockTX
Explorer
Explorer
Those of you with modern TT campers (2015-Present) whom have Dometic Fridges with the slider fin Thermistor..is it keeping your fridge cold? Our experience with Dometic is very poor, much prefer Norcold.

We are looking at picking up another camper and the ones we are looking at all come with Dometic and we HATE them based on our experience. Seems no matter where you place the thermistor the temp controller doesn't work. Our fridge didn't get below 40 degrees so we had to disconnect it and put it in protect mode to get cold.

Have they made any improvements?

Thanks

RR
2017 F150 Lariat 3.5EB
2016 Acura MDX SWD
2013 Yamaha Golf Cart
10 year old Quarter Horse, "Shadow"
2019 Jayco White Hawk 28BH
5 REPLIES 5

RollingRockTX
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. We had a Dometic in our Cruiser 5th Wheel, we tried everything. We did the snip the tip mod, we put 2 12v fans behind the unit facing up across the coils, we tried putting in a potentiometer, nothing worked on getting that fridge below 40. Unplugging the thermistor was the only solution...it puts the unit in protect mode and buries it temp wise...we had to do this when camping to keep anything cold and safe for eating. When our trip was over, we'd plug it back in when it was in storage. I was hoping that they are better now b/c the units we like (Jayco's) are no longer using Norcolds.
2017 F150 Lariat 3.5EB
2016 Acura MDX SWD
2013 Yamaha Golf Cart
10 year old Quarter Horse, "Shadow"
2019 Jayco White Hawk 28BH

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I have that issue too. Replacing the unit with another Dometic but a compressor fridge, CR series. Absorbtion fridges mine be 'peachy' for the Amish but for me, they suck.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
If it gets cold enough with the thermistor unhooked, replace the thermistor. Many recommend the snip the tip replacement, which has an adjustment on it.
-- Chris Bryant

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned both Norcold and Dometic fridges of various sizes and neither works any better or worse than the other. That slider is intended to make only a minor temperature adjustment - if your fridge doesn't cool properly then it has other issues. I certainly wouldn't let the fridge make / model prevent me from buying any trailer I otherwise much preferred.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My experience with Dometic has been good. Mine is the auto temp set, with sliding fin adjustment. Moving the thermistor on the fin will only change temp a small amount. I think you may have had other issues, with your Dometic fridge. It may have been operated off level at some time, causing partial plugging of tubes, which would keep it from cooling properly.

Jerry