cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban Electric Water heater

TGO
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Carriage It has a Suburban Gas/electric hot water heater. Lately the electric side has been working intermittently. Very frustrating. Gas side works perfect. I replaced the element with no luck Then I took the partition out and when moving some wires around, it started for a while. Thought maybe it was a loose connection on the modulator but when I put the modulator back into place I lost power to the element again. I'm not an electrician although I do have a light knowledge and a few electronic tools to check voltage and amp. Anybody have any ideas? Question: What is the purpose of the modulator? Is it for gas, electric or both? Probably have to take it in but just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues. Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
Wire going to thermostat was loose and burned, replaced thermostat and wire connector. Symptom was first just low temp, then no heating on electric.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

TGO
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I think I have enough info to get things rolling.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Modulator.......
Do you mean the circuit board that is on backside of water heater tank?

IF so and moving the wiring on it does affect the electric operation then you could have a 'DEL' model
Similar to the way Atwood uses DC to trigger AC to the element

DC goes to a DC/AC Relay...DC from electric on/off to JUNCTION Box to relay to element. Ground wire (Yellow) from circuit board ties to ground in junction box
No solid ground no electric

2 Junction Boxes (looking from the rear).......One left side/DC and One right side/AC----DC/AC Relay in AC Box

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed the outside switch (near the element) would lose connection due to corrosion, so an occasional cleaning with deoxidizer spray and cycling the switch a few times would help.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Get your multi-meter out and check if you have power going into the on/off switch and then out of the switch. I've had this problem before and once I replaced the on/off switch it worked as it was suppose to.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2005 Suburban the switch was bad, the wiring between the junction box, the switch and the 120VAC hi limit pack had burned pish on connectors, and a wire that had rubbed on the sheet metals sharp edges. All within a year. You need to open things up and start looking at the wiring.

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
Junction box on the side on the inside your 110 wirenuts are loose

Or the switch at the bottom hasa bad connection you move a wire itvreconbects it

This is likely your problem.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Junction box on the side on the inside your 110 wirenuts are loose

Or the switch at the bottom hasa bad connection you move a wire itvreconbects it

TGO
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply, I think this is beyond my pay grade. A little knowledge is dangerous! Thanks again

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I am assuming you mean the ignition module, and no, on Suburban it only control the gas side.
-- Chris Bryant

TGO
Explorer
Explorer
So modulator has no connection to AC side?

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
On that model the electric is totally separate from the lp side. Electric consists of the switch on the outside, the thermostat and Eco, which is under the black plastic cover on the left side, and the element.
-- Chris Bryant