cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Owners manual says 15 qts, got less than that out of it

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Changed the oil yesterday and when done, IMO, my drain pan didn't appear to have 15 qts or even close to it of oil. Filled w/ 13 qts and dipstick read full. Owners manual says it holds 15 qts. The old 6.0 was 15 qts and was surprised to see my '15 6.7 hold only 13 and figured the '17 was the same. What are others seeing for capacity.?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
8 REPLIES 8

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
You'll never get all the oil out. While I don't have a Ford, what I do with my CTD after draining the oil and changing the filter is add 2-1/2 jugs of oil (about 10 qts), fire it up, then let it sit for about 1/2 hour before checking the oil. I might have to add a quart. Much better than over filling!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:

Lynmor.....Thank you for the update. You'd think Ford would have sent an amended copy/version. Makes sense as to why only 13 now. I guess I got excited thinking it went back up to 15 given more displacement over the 6.0. Just odd as well that Ford cannot make an even amount of oil (ie: 12 or 16 qts.)

If you think the owners manual fiasco is bad, the dummies had the Ford dealership software showing 15 quarts for the 13 quart 6.7 engine for nearly four years. After my first "free" oil change, I checked the oil at home and found it way over full, took it back and they drained some out, again checked at home and it still was overfilled. Drained it myself and collected 15-1/4 quarts and that after some was removed. Sent a sample to Blackstone where they found no engine damage, but it was the wrong oil. When I confronted the dealer service manager, he admitted that probably all the 6.7s were given 15 quarts of the incorrect oil. This is the first oil change ever that I didn't do myself. I don't have a clue how others go thru life depending on others. Imagine all those 6.7 users running around without a clue.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
sch911....Yes I did change the filter. However, even after I poked a hole in it to drain, I still didn't have close to 15 quarts.

Lynmor.....Thank you for the update. You'd think Ford would have sent an amended copy/version. Makes sense as to why only 13 now. I guess I got excited thinking it went back up to 15 given more displacement over the 6.0. Just odd as well that Ford cannot make an even amount of oil (ie: 12 or 16 qts.)

One thing I forgot to do was to re-set the oil minder gauge. Ooops.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I see more mistake on my manual.The air filter wrong P/N.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Some 2017 owners manuals were incorrectly printed showing 15 quarts. 13 quarts is the correct amount.

Here is the corrected manual: 2017 Manual

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Did you change the filter? If not why?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Oil filter.