cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Tailgates

nkc914
Explorer
Explorer
I have a F350 dually that I use to pull my 42' Columbus. This is my first fiver and I would like to hear from you about tailgates. We are not full timers and I would like to know whether folks like the fiver tailgate or do you miss the factory gate. I still have the the factory gate on and have plenty room once the trailer is connected.
Thank You

Mike Jenkins
2016 F350 Lariat
2018 Palomino Columbus 42'
28 REPLIES 28

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
If Iโ€™m not 100% straight with hooking up, my tailgate is scary close to the front of the fifth wheel. Being able to hook up with the gate up would be reel nice.

Ours is worse than that. It will definitely crush the TG into the trailer. That was my motivation to get one, I'm naturally cheap like some others here. But once I got it I discovered it was just plain nice to have.

And BTW, I also have a locking cover, and it works fine with the Vee gate. Even if I don't use the Vee insert, it would be difficult to get anything out of the bed through that opening.

When I had my 6'-6" bed I never had an issue with the tailgate down vs the the front of rig but now with my long bed, I have the scars on front of the the rig to prove that if not straight it will hit. I learned quickly to close the tailgate once the pinbox clears the tailgate.
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5
2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with most options + 17.5 wheel & tire combo

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never had anything but a V tailgate. Bought the truck & trailer used as a package. Having the V gate does not mean that you never have to open the gate to hook up. It means that you have to know by looking in the mirror if the kingpin is high enough to clear it on upsloping sites.

I cannot see my hitch plate in the mirror properly, neither can I see the bottom of the tailgate notch at all, but I do know that as I get close to the kingpin, if I can see the whole kingpin it will not clear the notch.

Even with a notched tailgate you need to be familiar & careful. You learn stuff. In my case the leg buttons are under the 5er overhang left side. On level ground I know that if my nose touches the center of the marker light on the side above the leg switches, the trailer is just the right height to clear the V gate & pinbox hitting the center of the 5th wheel jaws.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

nkc914
Explorer
Explorer
I just want to thank all of you who provided the many opinions,stories and advisements. There was a lot of good information to consider.
I have decided that since I am a year from using my trailer full time that I will keep the factory gate for now.

Thank you all

Mike.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Super_Dave wrote:
If Iโ€™m not 100% straight with hooking up, my tailgate is scary close to the front of the fifth wheel. Being able to hook up with the gate up would be reel nice.

Ours is worse than that. It will definitely crush the TG into the trailer. That was my motivation to get one, I'm naturally cheap like some others here. But once I got it I discovered it was just plain nice to have.

And BTW, I also have a locking cover, and it works fine with the Vee gate. Even if I don't use the Vee insert, it would be difficult to get anything out of the bed through that opening.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
From the above stories our needs are not the same and is a normal deal. We use our truck for towing and driving in the winter so we have had the fifth tailgate since 2001 and also have the V-box at the rear of the bed. Also have a camera.

Nice for us to like what we have.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
A fifth wheel tailgate is a great idea regardless of what anyone says. Yes, I have an older truck without a rear camera but you never have to worry about forgetting to lower your tailgate. I know everybody is going to think theyโ€™re more careful than that but you will quickly realize how easy it would be to forget...Either hooking or unhooking.
In addition, I have the blue ox bed saver system on my hitch and if the hitch would ever fail and the bed saver catches the king pin, your factory tailgate would be destroyed.
There have also been a few times ( I mean just a few) where I needed to hook up truck to trailer on a bit of an angle and it wouldnโ€™t have worked due to clearance issues between tailgate and camper.
My factory tailgate has been safely stored away at home for many years of camping...

RockyMt
Explorer
Explorer
So true

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
13 years pulling a fifth wheel and never saw a need for one. Lower the tail gate hitch/unhitch, lock the hitch and raise the tail gate. I always had a hard cover on my trucks, so with the stock tailmgate I could always lock the bed for secure storage. No an option with a V notch tail gate.

Hmmmmmm - The "need" is for theft prevention of the tailgate!!

13 years puts your TG in the "gone in 20 seconds category".
(Be sure to use at least basic theft deterrent).

Check the cost for a replacement (factory/stock) TG. Plus 'wait time' to get it, paint match, etc. etc. Prob way more expense than what's in the bed!

Newer (factory) TGs have better theft prevention designs - but they
are still a "hot" item (no pun intended). Ask a LEO - difficult to trace and easy to "fence", in high demand due to: back-up damage (not just by 5th wheel folks), AND theft (vicious cycle).

Sure, your insurance covers it! - Deductible? - Premium increase?

The Hard Cover (have one):
It does keep your stuff out of sight when closed, but....
1. The locks on the cover are a joke.
2. However, you can add padlocks to your aftermarket TG, which will both prevent it being stolen - as well as opening the TG to access your treasures.

I did set up the TG locks, but have never bothered to use them - as
*nobody* wants to steal my $200. Northern Tool TG! LOL..:B

Never had anything stolen from my p/up bed whether covered or not.
Never had anything stolen (period!) in 48 years of "camping" with TTs and 5th wheels.
Yes, I *do* have friends who have had factory TGs stolen - as well as *20* from the L.A. Times p/ups (in their parking lot) in one fell swoop a few years ago.

BTW - Full or part time doesn't matter ....it's *NOT* where you live (perm or temp) - it's your travel *location/s*...:W

Unless you have a tall tool box (or?) in your p/up bed, the "V" notched TGs make hitching a breeze - no need to open the TG..:C

Happy tailgating!

~

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Dry box tailgate, that way I can carry an extra 25 gallons of fuel and still have room to lock away other stuff like tools ect. fold down door's make it easy to get to the fuel can's also.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
Puddles wrote:
Only takes one ut-oh to make you very sad... yea, i miss the step & camera... but if you're sightseeing and moving a lot. It becomes a task to lower back in and then raise it and back into the hitch... if you leave it down and are not pretty straight when backing in, the corner of the gate + the trailer are at risk.

I need to get the camera moved down to a license plate bracket... anything you can do to lower hooking up risks is good work.

Yes... forgot to mention the turbulence moving stuff around... have a louvered v shaped tailgate. Nothing moves or blows out..
HTML

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Custom Flow makes a locking 5er TG with filler for the V when not towing. I like mine as easier to hitch two less steps and less wind resistance due to the louvres allowing air to pass.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a camera with the Husky 5th wheel tailgate which will plug into the OEM plug.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

RockyMt
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fifth wheel tailgate, keep it on all the time. Love it.