cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

short circuit when hooked to shore ower

Hoot887
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 Holiday Rambler that has developed a short circuit when it is hooked to shore power. I have turned off the 2 master switches = same problem. I disconnected the batteries of both the truck and the house and still get the tingle when shore power is connected. The only thing that has changed is the backup camera stopped working. I just removed the backup camera and monitor and sent them to RV Cam who tested the camera good but the monitor was bad. I purchased a new Voyager monitor and used the old camera to save a few $. I reinstalled the system using the kits I purchased from RV Cam and the monitor works fine
I know very little about the wiring of the rig. Any help you can give would be a great help.
21 REPLIES 21

MrWizard
you have an old 2 prong outlet at the house/garage and were plugged into that

Never had a problem anywhere else

Check that outlet
It might be wired backwards

Hot wire belongs on the gold screws, white neutral wire belongs on the silver screws

Replace that outlet with a regulation 3 prong 20 amp outlet
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ah I see you found the problem... Side note.. I had a professional "Fix" a broken switch by installing a 3-2 prong adapter.> Dang near killed me he did. the switch was shorting to chassis.. I became the path to ground.

I found and replaced the broken switch... I was a minor at the time and suggested to my mother a proper complaint be filed as it was dangerous but I do not think they ever did.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

John_Wayne
Explorer
Explorer
go over to the web site "NoShockZone.org" he will explain your problem and how to fix it. He writes rv electricity articles names Mike Sokol. Articles appear in daily and weekly RV Travel.com
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
FIX IT! Don't ignore it. Now that you've identified the culprit, fix it immediately before someone gets hurt or worse. ..Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First you have THREE power systems nearly 100 prcent independent.
12 volt TRUCK/Chassis
12 volt HOUSE
120 volt HOUSE ONLY
So there is some "Common" stuff. the converter or inverter/charger (you have one or the other normally) is common to both and some 120 volt devices use 12 volt CONTROL systems but they are isolated by a relay.

The Tingle indicates one or two problems. MOST LIKELY ONE

Open ground on the shore circuit. May be the outlet you are plugging into. may be the cord or adapter or the motor home..

TO TEST. start with a 3-light tester and work your way toward an outlet on the RV. the lights are self explaining .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Like above, you still have a wiring problem.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Hoot887 wrote:

....10forty2 what do you mean by pedestal, the extension cord is plugged into a garage outlet. Are you referring to the pedestal at a camp ground.
thanks for the help

Yes, I assumed you were plugged into the campsite power pole, otherwise referred to as the pedestal. Glad you found your problem. An ungrounded outlet can sure do that to ya!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, no more tingle with a proper ground.

BUT (yes, large BUT) you still need to determine the source of the leak from hot to ground.

Start by turning off all 120 VAC breakers. Turn them back on one at a time until you find the leak. Prime suspects are water heater element and absorption refrigerator heating element.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad to hear that it is fixed. Electricity is dangerous and when you get a tingle it means that you are only a good contact away from a fatal does of electricity.

Hoot887
Explorer
Explorer
oops sorry

Hoot887
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I found the problem..I change the extension cord from an outlet that required a non-grounding 2 prong plug to a outlet on a different circuit that uses a conventional 3 prong grounded outlet.PROBLEM SOLVED I now have a wiring problem in he house to take care of.
thanks for all the help
Hoot

Hoot887
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I found the problem..I change the extension cord from an outlet that required a non-grounding 2 prong plug to a outlet on a different circuit that uses a conventional 3 prong grounded outlet.PROBLEM SOLVED I now have a wiring problem in he house to take care of.
thanks for all the help
Hoot

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are getting a tingle, it is because something is NOT grounded properly. The outlet feeding your RV from the garage MUST be properly grounded at the main power box. The power cord hooked to your RV must have a good ground connection at both ends, in your RV and at the garage outlet.
I would start looking at your garage outlet to see if it is properly grounded in the box and that your ground rod, outside your house, is still connected to the power box.

Hoot887
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the return. The breakers are not tripping. The RV is in my drive way and I have used a heavy duty extension cord plugged into the RV 30 amp cord. I suspected the cord I have been using so a got a new cord, same problem

10forty2 what do you mean by pedestal, the extension cord is plugged into a garage outlet. Are you referring to the pedestal at a camp ground.
thanks for the help