Did you mean:ย 

fifth wheel tires

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Need to replace tires on my 38' fifthwheel that weighs 18,000 lbs
Tires that came with rig are five ply
I got a great deal on 12 ply tires
Any reason for not upgrading to 12 ply tires?
38 REPLIES 38

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Wheel specifications are set by their manufacturer and certified by the SAE.

NHTSA does not require wheel manufacturers to display the wheelโ€™s specs on the wheel. When we do find such markings on the wheels itโ€™s normally there because of an agreement to satisfy an OEM wheel provider.

There are three distinct specifications for wheels. Maximum load capacity, Maximum load capacity accompanied by maximum inflation pressure in PSI. Wheels marked with a maximum load capacity only, generally will accept whatever PSI is necessary for the tire to provide the maximum load capacity of the wheel.

NHTSA does require the wheel manufacturers to display a serial number and part number on each wheel. The address of the wheel manufacturer must also be on the wheel. Itโ€™s highly recommended to confirm any misunderstandings about a wheelโ€™s capability by direct contact with the wheelsโ€™ manufacturer.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I think a lot of newer rigs are coming with wheels that will handle up 110 psi. Our 2010 triple axle toyhauler came with wheels rated to 110 psi, even though it came with "E" rated ST tires. So it definitely would be worth checking.

Theres the rub, you got a wheel that will handle 110 psi, but may only be rated for 3750, where now the Sailuns are rated for 4080, and 4400 depending on which 16" size is chosen.

Basically you got a tire that really can't be utilized to its potential , because the limiting factor is the weight rating of the wheel, sure you can inflate to 110 psi, but can't load it up to its weight rating.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:

Sometimes, you have to dismount a tire to check the wheel rating, because it may be stamped in the "valley". I know that the Al wheels on my old Komfort were capable of E rated tires even though my placard was for D tires. I went to E's as soon as I realized this. That being said, I =seriously= doubt a rig placarded for E tires would have G-capable wheels on it...so the wheels would likely need to be replaced as well as tires.

Lyle
I think a lot of newer rigs are coming with wheels that will handle up 110 psi. Our 2010 triple axle toyhauler came with wheels rated to 110 psi, even though it came with "E" rated ST tires. So it definitely would be worth checking.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
eHoefler wrote:
pcaffrey wrote:
This may be off subject but I notice people citing wheels capable of handling pressures pressures, how can you determine what your wheels are capable of handling. Thanks

The wheels should have the capacity and max pressure stamped/cast in the wheel.

Sometimes, you have to dismount a tire to check the wheel rating, because it may be stamped in the "valley". I know that the Al wheels on my old Komfort were capable of E rated tires even though my placard was for D tires. I went to E's as soon as I realized this. That being said, I =seriously= doubt a rig placarded for E tires would have G-capable wheels on it...so the wheels would likely need to be replaced as well as tires.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
pcaffrey wrote:
This may be off subject but I notice people citing wheels capable of handling pressures pressures, how can you determine what your wheels are capable of handling. Thanks
If no pressure rating the max weight rating should collaborate with a tire load/pressure rating. Or contact the manufacturer or distributor.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
pcaffrey wrote:

The wheels should have the capacity and max pressure stamped/cast in the wheel.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

pcaffrey
Explorer
Explorer

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
smarty wrote:
Need to replace tires on my 38' fifthwheel that weighs 18,000 lbs
Tires that came with rig are five ply
I got a great deal on 12 ply tires
Any reason for not upgrading to 12 ply tires?

None tha I know of. CK out Goodyear Endurandce.
Am told they are made in the USA..

1Wheeldrive
Explorer
Explorer
I travel mostly in the west and northwest, and when I replaced the tires on my toy hauler, I specifically went to Les Schwab because of my experience with their customer service.
I bought G rated Geostars and have been very happy with them. You need to have wheels rated to 110 psi. The tires are either 12 or 14 ply "rated". They are heavy and can be regrooved if needed.
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 CC Long Bed
2012 Voltage 3200
2006 KLR 650

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
3 dog nights wrote:
Goodyear G-614's !

Why not, and pay double for them over the Sailuns, and arguably an inferior tire to the Sailun, but JMHO

OHOA - "Other's Humble Opinion Also"..;)

However, *maybe* GY will pay for tire failure damage to the owner's trailer, as they did for many years with Marathons.

Unfortunately, no compensation for down time..:(

~

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a good price, but the Sailun S637 in a "G" rated 235/80-16 size would be around than $175 mounted and balanced.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
eHoefler wrote:
http://roadmastertires.com/getmedia/b6ee23c2-4f5f-4536-9468-b76d751ddaad/RM170.aspx

I run J-rated 17.5's on ours with the correct wheel rated at 125 psi and 6005 pounds each. I have had these now for 3 years and I cannot find anything to complain about this combonation. It was $5.00 more to buy the tire and wheel than just buying new 16" tires.
$155 for a wheel and tire is one heck of a deal in any size.

$105 per wheel shipped
$178 per tire mounted and balanced
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
CALandLIN wrote:
eHoefler wrote:
http://roadmastertires.com/getmedia/b6ee23c2-4f5f-4536-9468-b76d751ddaad/RM170.aspx

I run J-rated 17.5's on ours with the correct wheel rated at 125 psi and 6005 pounds each. I have had these now for 3 years and I cannot find anything to complain about this combonation. It was $5.00 more to buy the tire and wheel than just buying new 16" tires.

Did you know the 6005# load capacity LRJ tires in your reference above also have a speed letter "J" = 62 MPG?

Yes. Things to consider, the ratings are for max loads and pressures. While my tires are rated for 65 mph at max load and max pressure, I am no where near max load of 6005 pounnds, I'm at 60% of max load. Also, these are not ST or LT tires, they are MT tires designed to be used on the steer axle of commercial trucks. I am well into our 3rd year running these tires, have over 15,000 miles running in the summer heat, 100*+ days. The tires have been flawless and they will be purchased again whenn needed.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I said "Yeah" because I agreed with your opinions you stated and isn't at all moot.
The PR I mentioned was aimed at others that say plies or ply rating isn't used anymore.
And of course everyone knows the industry also uses Load range letters.

We do agree on some things regarding tires.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides