Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NY to Wichita ..

Martha62
Explorer
Explorer
Hi we will be traveling from NY to Wichita Kansas, in Sept,
What would be a good spot to stop overnight ont rt 70 that is close to the highway and midway to Wichita.

Also if you know of any good RV parks in that area Wichita , please
share any opinions with me.

First time traveling out west so not sure what to expect/we are leaving on Sept 12 and need to be there by the 13 or the 14th the latest.
Thanks for your input.

Martha
Martha
13 REPLIES 13

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
From a personal point of view, 350 miles per day is usually our max. We have stretched that to just over 400 in a couple of situations. Pulling that RV, to me, is a lot more tiring than driving the car. Add fuel stops, potty breaks, road construction delays and traffic and I definitely would not be wanting to try that trip in 3 days. But that is just me.

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
Martha62 wrote:
Hi Matt I think we are doing 3 days instead. I don't want to be over tired.
So we will be doing 7 to 8 hrs a day.

It's a minimum of 26 hours, more likely 30 with fuel/rest/food stops. Plan on 10 hours a day and don't be surprised if it's more.
2017 LTV Unity

Martha62
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Matt I think we are doing 3 days instead. I don't want to be over tired.
So we will be doing 7 to 8 hrs a day.
we usually do Ny to Miami in 2 days but not pulling the camper. So we will see how we make out
Thanks
Martha
Martha

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I go back to my original question.
Why taking the RV? are you going camping after the wedding?
bumpy

dedmiston
Martha62 wrote:
Hi Matt we are leaving from Rockland County NY.

Hi Martha. Is there any way to stretch this out to three days instead of two? Two 750 mile days pulling a fifth wheel won't be fun or even very safe. Even three 500 mile days is a lot of driving (and passengering). If you have kids or pets, you might have a rebellion on your hands.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
Martha62 wrote:
Hi we will be traveling from NY to Wichita Kansas, in Sept,

First time traveling out west so not sure what to expect/we are leaving on Sept 12 and need to be there by the 13 or the 14th the latest.

Martha,

Please consider how such a long drive will be tolerated by everyone. I put this in the TL trip planner and it's over 1400 miles and 26 hours of driving (based on the road speeds I adjusted from experience with different road types), and this doesn't include time for food or fuel stops. You likely need to add several additional hours to the trip for those.

1) It's not do-able in 1 day
2) It's still going to be a VERY long 2 days.

None of this takes into account any construction or traffic delays you may encounter, especially considering you will route through Columbus, OH, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and Kansas City.

When there are such significant time constraints, flying is probably going to be much less stressful.
2017 LTV Unity

Martha62
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Matt we are leaving from Rockland County NY.
Martha

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Martha,

NY is a big place.
Where in NY are you departing from?

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Martha62
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks We have a 2018 fifth wheel,but we need to stop at an rv park or campground traveling with Mother in law so its not an
easy trip .
So we need to be hooked up overnight.
This is our first long trip out of our area so just trying to get some tips on the drive out.
Thanks
Martha

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't take the RV if I was that pressed for time.
bumpy

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Your signature doesn't say what you're driving, but in a motorhome we average about 50 mph traveling between stops. You're looking at 14 hours of driving a day in 2 days or 9 hours if you take 3 days. Don't bother with RV parks along the way, just find a place to stop for the night if you need to make that pace.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
There are several RV parks around Wichita.

There's one right in town called USI RV Park. I know nothing about it other than I've driven through it and had a friend stay there for several months.

There's another one west of town in Goddard called All Seasons RV Park. I know nothing about it.

There's Cheney State Park 20 miles west of Wichita if you prefer a more scenic and quite space. We spend a lot of time there in our 5th wheel throughout the year. There is no sewer available.

There's another one about 35 miles NW of Wichita called the Hitchin Post RV Park. I've stayed here when we had no electricity at the house. It has sewer and a laundry room but no shade at all.

Here's a link to RV Park Reviews where you can review all RV parks in or near Wichita.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/kansas/wichita
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56