cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Changing Tire Size

2puttchuck
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone switched from a factory tire size of 275/80R22.5 to 295/75R22.5. Tire sizes almost identical only about 3/4" wider. My only concern is the dually spacing of the rear wheels. Thoughts?

The reason is I need a 'H' rated tire and moving to a 295 really opens options.

">

Thanks
Chuck
2006 Monaco Diplomat
2013 Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4
1997 Jeep Wrangler
14 REPLIES 14

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
2puttchuck wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
Why is all this necessary and has the coach manufacture not provided the proper tire, for carrying the rated GvWR?
Possibly for wanting to carry the given weight, running lower pressures or what?

Monaco did their part...kind of, it's an H rated tire which does fine for the GVW, however in the size they put on there I only have two tire choices both of which I don't feel like the cost/value is there.

Gee, I thought there were quite a few manufactures out there with that size and one that seems to be pretty popular these days.
Also with many years of having a good reputation in producing a good product.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

2puttchuck
Explorer
Explorer
An update; I found a Uniroyal RS20 in the 275/80R22.5 that is the "H" rated and got them for $340.00 each. I'm going to give them a whirl on the drives and see what happens. Will report back if less than stellar.
Chuck
2006 Monaco Diplomat
1997 Jeep Wrangler

mike2wheels
Explorer
Explorer
Our Endeavor came from the factory with 275, but had 295 on it when we bought it. I was concerned when I learned of the switch, but I've checked the clearances and everything seems to be working ok.
2005 Honda Gold Wing
2006 HR Endeavor 40PAQ

2puttchuck
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Why is all this necessary and has the coach manufacture not provided the proper tire, for carrying the rated GvWR?
Possibly for wanting to carry the given weight, running lower pressures or what?

Monaco did their part...kind of, it's an H rated tire which does fine for the GVW, however in the size they put on there I only have two tire choices both of which I don't feel like the cost/value is there.
Chuck
2006 Monaco Diplomat
1997 Jeep Wrangler

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
In some cases, going to a higher load rated tire may actually cost less per tire, depending on the quantity manufactured. If you have had your coach weighed and know the proper tire inflation pressure, going to a higher load rated tire will still keep the inflation pressure the same.

Bruce_Brown
tropical36 wrote:

You must have missed where the OP said

"The reason is I need a 'H' rated tire and moving to a 295 really opens options."

In our case it was my opinion our engine was turning too many RPMs, and according to the Cummins engine calculator an upside looked to be a good option. Our MH had an abundance of power, I'd gladly give up some power for the projected increase in MPG. 2 years later I'm 100% pleased with our choice.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
The 275/80R22.5 to 295/75R22.5 is a VERY common substitution.

The 275/80 is pretty unique. Most other manufacturers only have the 295/75.

I agree, very little chance of interference with the small additional width. BUT, for those who have "fine tuned" their cut angles (easily adjusted on Sheppard steering boxes) they may need to make minor adjustments. Been there, done that.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Bruce_Brown
You should be able to find the minimum dual spacing information on a tire chart somewhere. That would completely answer your question.

A few years ago we went from 275/70/22.5s to 11R/22.5s. The 11Rs are a bunch taller so there was a lot of researching done before we made the move. Fortunately there is a lot of info out there, although sometimes it takes looking in a few different places to put it all together.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

2puttchuck
Explorer
Explorer
Scott, same issue with the XRV tire.

As always the collective knowledge here is like no other. Appreciate it guys!
Chuck
2006 Monaco Diplomat
1997 Jeep Wrangler

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can not address the spacing however they do make a special "Spacer" (Washer) that may fix it if your lugs are long enough and you have the fender space.

That's about all I can say.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

LaTriker
Explorer
Explorer
I changed last year from Goodyear G760 275/80R 22.5 to Toyo 295/75R 22.5 Load Range H. New tires were not wide enough to cause any issues with duels. Changed my odometer v. GPS by one mph at 65 mph. Have not had any tire issues over the past year.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
2putt,
I'd seriously surprised if there were any interference problems with that little of size change in tires. With such a small amount of increase in any of the dimensions, I'd bet my house you're gonna no issues at all. A while ago, as in this time last year, I was in need or new tires. I had the junk Michelin 255 80R 22.5 XRV tires and they were cracked and shot. So, I wasn't about to make the same mistake the previous owner did and, I started shopping around and looking at what else I could use.

Well, long story short, I came up with some 265 75 22.5 Yokohama RY-103 tires and, like your comparisons, the size difference in any and all dimensions, was minute. I've had them on for almost a year now and, couldn't be happier. Not one single bit of clearance interference anywhere, at any time.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck,

Yes, a common interchange.

Do check that you have the clearance for the slightly wider tires on full front cut angle. I would be surprised if this was a problem, but you need to verify that you have adequate clearance with the current tires to accommodate the added width.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/