cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AAA Towing

camp104
Explorer
Explorer
If you use AAA for towing, how do you like it? I'm concerned that AAA will not have a big enough tow truck to handle an RV.
20 REPLIES 20

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just remember that if you use your INSURANCE company to tow your RV, it will probably be considered a "CLAIM" against your insurance record. With Good Sams, AAA, CoachNet, it is independent from your insurance company. If you want to add "claims" to your insurance record, which will probably affect your future rates, just to save a few bucks by not having a separate roadside assistance program, fine.
If you call your insurance company, and explain what happens when you have a $1000+ towing charge, ask them if it is counted as a claim. Most insurance companies are only thinking about a short, inexpensive, tow with an automobile.

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on the area that you are in.

In FL, I have AAA Premier RV, they are great. They usually respond quickly, especially if you tell them that you are in a dangerous spot, such as on the emergency lane of the interstate...

AAA has a strong presence in FL... I can't speak for other states or countries.
Inquiring minds want to know...

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Had AAA with my MH. When I broke down they could not find a truck big enough or suggest a place to repair it. I switched to Coachnet but never had a need to use them.

Then I got a 5'ver and had AAA on the truck so I got AAA RV Plus. Blew a tire on the 5'ver and AAA took 3 hours to fix. Six months later my truck blew a brake line pulling. AAA took care of me. 500 miles down the road I blew two tires (now without a spare for the second tire.) AAA took 2 hours, then informed me they did not have anyone that could help me, and cancelled my request for assistance. Never again.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

lily123456
Explorer
Explorer
AAA have lack of some functions

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:

The new Coach Netw only tows to nearest facility who can repair the problem, to a 200 mile limit and other restrictions not in the old

Do you have a link to Coach Net's 200 mile restriction? All I see is the following:
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We have Good Sams and Coach Net. Coach Net was the Gold Standard.
The new Coach Netw only tows to nearest facility who can repair the problem, to a 200 mile limit and other restrictions not in the old Coach Net.
FMCA plan is better, I think than the Old Coach Net.
The New Coach Net woul not help my wife in Ga said there was no one within 200 miles who could help her and no one available to tow. She had forgotten she had Good Sams too. We have the best coverage which includes our other vehicles.
I don't want to be in Az or big Bend of Texas and no one within n200 miles to tow and no service center within 200 miles.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have Nationwide insurance. When I need a tow I have to fork over my plastic.. but Nationwide is real fast with the check to reimburse.

Of course I do remember one time the Adjuster broke up laughing at the way I phrased the E-mailed in claim... (I did that on purpose you see).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
camp104 wrote:
I need to add to my post. I have Progressive Ins for my 35 foot RV. It comes with roadside assistant. I called them and they said they will tow me to the nearest repair shop at no charge. I also have AAA plus RV towing. Since my cars are insured with AAA I added the RV to the roadside plan many years ago. I guess now I have double coverage?? I think It's only 30 bucks a year.

Keep the AAA. That way you can get towed home, since they cover 100 miles wherever you want. The other coverages will only tow you to their nearest approved facility.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

camp104
Explorer
Explorer
I need to add to my post. I have Progressive Ins for my 35 foot RV. It comes with roadside assistant. I called them and they said they will tow me to the nearest repair shop at no charge. I also have AAA plus RV towing. Since my cars are insured with AAA I added the RV to the roadside plan many years ago. I guess now I have double coverage?? I think It's only 30 bucks a year.

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
AAA does not operate in every state. Service is horrible. They do not tow you to the nearest certified service center. There are only 2 players in this business. Coach Net and Good Sam.

Moisheh

That is true unless you have FMCA. They now offer a roadside assistance service called Safe Ride.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
From a towing company executive - "The level of service you receive is contingent on the speed at which the contractor pays their bills". If a tow company deals with a lesser contractor, think complaints posted on this site, they are less apt to speed their service to you, the consumer. AAA is excellent in paying their towing companies which is why many salivate getting to put AAA on the side of their trucks.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Bruce_Brown
Friends of ours had AAA, they needed it twice. From how they were treated I would certainly make them my last choice when choosing a plan for a motorhome. There are better options.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Friends have theirs with Progressive, as part of their insurance package, but with not having used it, they can't be sure. Any pros and cons that one might know of, with using an insurance company?
Also they supposedly have it with their new coach or extended warranty, as well, so you'd think one of those would get you down the road.
As for us, we've been with CN for a number of years and have been well satisfied.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
I had AAA years ago. I broke down in Biggs Junction, OR, and had to be towed to Bend, OR. Distance was 137 miles and AAA only covered the first 100 miles. I had to pay ~$167 (37 miles at $4.50 per mile).

Coach Net would have covered the entire bill as they will tow to the nearest qualified repair facility. I cancelled by AAA coverage and have been with Coach Net ever since.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited