cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

false overheat

FarmerBob
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 V-10 on the F-53 , Had the temp gauge max out while idling. It went into limp mode, let it rest for a bit and it was fine. Engine did not seem hot at all, no antifreeze smell. When I got home put the scan on it and it said 253 deg.
Have read about this happening, but has anyone had this happen and did it come back or was it just a one time thing?
14 REPLIES 14

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Ford recommends flushing the system and replacing the antifreeze every 5 years. Maybe the rust inhibitors have broken down and the suggestion about a sticking thermostat is correct???
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate wrote:
Interesting that his 2006 only now is having an issue. I would think that if it was false overheat per the TSB, it would have surfaced by now. Perhaps something else is wrong.

Yeah, my thought too.

Chum lee

FarmerBob
Explorer
Explorer
I have only owned it for a little over a year

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting that his 2006 only now is having an issue. I would think that if it was false overheat per the TSB, it would have surfaced by now. Perhaps something else is wrong.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
FarmerBob wrote:
The "overheat" occurred while idling after a 5 hr drive. Went into limp mode. Shut off engine and re started and it was fine other than engine check light. Scan said code p1299 and that the temp got to 253.

If you have your VIN number you can check with most Ford dealers to see if the TSB mentioned above has previously been done to your vehicle. Because of the vehicle age and the time between the TSB issue and today's date, Ford may deny the warranty issue if it has not been previously completed. The parts may still be available for purchase though.

Chum lee

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I think Pirate has the right answer. There's a good probably some conditions may trap air in your crossover pipe preventing the T-stat form opening, and hence the updated crossover.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
With a 16 lb. cap the top temp would be 158F.

FarmerBob
Explorer
Explorer
The "overheat" occurred while idling after a 5 hr drive. Went into limp mode. Shut off engine and re started and it was fine other than engine check light. Scan said code p1299 and that the temp got to 253.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming the coolant level is full, since the overheat occurred at idle, I would check the fan clutch before I dived into the cooling system. (easy to do) Does the engine cool down when you are moving at say 30 mph, or, does the overheat occur at all speeds? With the engine shut off and your hand on the fan, there shouldn't be any forward and/or reverse play (wobble) between the radiator fan and the fan clutch. If the overheat occurs at all speeds its probably not the fan clutch and I would then also look at the thermostat as others have mentioned.

It's not common on Ford V10's but if you have air trapped in the cooling system around the temperature sensor, (or low coolant) you will get a false high temp reading. You didn't say where you pointed your scan gauge to get your temp reading. Always use a 50/50 coolant/water mix.

Chum lee

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
could be a faulty temp sensor, using a scan tool read the engine temp, and a infrared thermometer check the upper rad hose and compare readings and see where that goes

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Faulty engine fan and/or thermostat
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/false-overheat-tsb-50007-2.html

TSB
06-21-15 MIL ON - DTC P1285 / P1299 - 5.4L 3V / 6.8L 3V - FALSE OVERHEAT

Publication Date: October 13, 2006

FORD: 2005-2007 F-53 Motorhome Chassis, F-Super Duty

ISSUE:
Some 2005-2007 F-Super Duty and F-53 Motorhome chassis vehicles equipped with a 5.4L or 6.8L 3-valve engine may exhibit an engine temperature gauge indicating an overheating condition with the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P1285 and P1299.

ACTION:
Performing normal engine cooling system diagnostics in Workshop Manual, Section 303-03, if it is determined that the engine is not physically overheating (coolant expulsion), install a new thermostat and crossover pipe. They have been revised for improved cooling system flow characteristics.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
7L3Z-8575-A Thermostat - 5.4L
7C3Z-8575-A Thermostat - 6.8L
3L3Z-8C368-A Crossover Pipe - 5.4L
3L3Z-8C368-B Crossover Pipe - 6.8L

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
Note: Normal would be from 190 to about 220. The actual boiling point of the system is about 262. 212 water+5 for coolant +15x3 for cap pressure =262.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
I would take it to a good radiator shop, have the cooling system flushed, instal new belts, hoses and thermostat.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
?Thermostat hung up and then freed itself?

If a scan showed that temperature I would sure replace the thermostat.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/