cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TR: Eastern Sierra Nevada and White Mountains

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have never experienced Fossil Falls before off the 395 near lone pine this place is pretty awesome. It was pretty warm here a couple weeks ago, but our Honda 2000 genny kept the inside cozy.

Pretty good views with no one around, just the way we like it

evidence this area had masses of water flowing through at one time

we headed up to the White Mountains to check out the Ancient Bristlecone pine forest. California has the tallest trees in the world, the largest trees and the oldest trees...go figure...Also want to add the most number of charred trees

and Falling trees!!

oldest trees in the world

while on the trail a major thunderstorm rolled through the area
pelted us with hail...dropping a ton of rain

parking lot at the visitor center before the strom

and after

video of us freaking out

we headed for calmer waters to grant lake to see if our inflatable kayaks still could hold air

We decided to put these Torklift talon tie downs and fastguns to the test once again and head up to Leavitt lake, how much rattling and rolling can these things handle?

I got pretty sketched out when a full size truck coming down the mountain said there was no way we would make it....

the next vehicle we passed said, we were good....

4X4 Low in this truck is amazing...had one slip of the wheel, and slight scrape with the running board but for the most part all was well with an 11k+ load climbing to 11K feet @ not sure what the grade but it is extreme

the goods

you know your off the beaten path when....the only other camper you see is in a Tee-pee tent with a pet goat, who brings 3 assault rifles and a chain saw to cut his fire wood

we planned on staying at least 5 nights, just got settled when the smoke started rolling in

California seemed to ignite all at once, this was smoke rolling in from the Ferguson fire as when we were there is just had started ๐Ÿ˜ž

we were able to test again and see if our inflatable kayaks had any holes in them

we got 2 nights in but the air quality @ high altitude was not a good mix, we tucked tailed out of there in search for fresher pastures

we ended up in Reds meadow for a night and hiked to rainbow falls (diclaimer: there are approx 100,000 people behind me in this pic)

this was bit of a dissapointment since we are not used to such heavy crowds and a dirt campsite costing $23, but a crowded day camping is 100 million times better than the best day working!!

we did find our own slice of heaven @ reds

and a refreshing dip

We headed up to Little lakes valley, which is a bit of an upgrade from a walmart parking lot to a backpackers parking lot

finally had the clean air we were looking for and untouched by fire

this might be one of the last places to visit before the all the burned out sierras turn into shrub bushes

all in all we had 10 nigths in the TC, and just love the freedom it provides. From sheltering against a hail storm, getting free lake front camping, to offroading deep into the sierras to boondocking in a backpackers parking lot...we love our TC, and our TL's

off course as soon as we got home all of California appeared to erupt in flames, not to mention literraly right out our own backyard!!! Prayers to all those familys that have lost loved ones and/or their homes
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads
17 REPLIES 17

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Very nice! Thanks

fiveeyes
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, pics are fully appreciated. Gods country.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ride. We don't do summer camping (because we don't have to) but it's nice to see some of our favorite destinations through your lens in the full bloom of summer.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The road to Leavitt is pretty intense -- lots of big rocks right in the middle of the road. Well done, and great TR!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice, great photos and memories your kids and you will never forget!
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
ppine wrote:
NIce TR. The eastern Sierra is in my backyard. I have traveled a lot and enjoyed living near the Cascades and the Rockies but when it comes to weather give me the Sierra. Headed for some backpacking near Carson Pass on Monday.

I'm there now. Air is clear high in the low 80s day 35 at night in hope valley. Lots of traffic delays due to road work from silver lake to caples lake
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Slow and easy usually gets the goods within reason. Cool place, nice pics. Glad your folks are ok at home.

sharkman
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome pics and trip report, thanks for sharing.
Camper: 2005 Lance Lite 815
Truck: 2003 Dodge Ram Loramie 3500HD, CTD, DRW, Q/C, L/B, Draw-Tite Front Hitch
Boat: 1985 Alumacraft Trophy 175 - Evinrude 90 HP

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
NIce TR. The eastern Sierra is in my backyard. I have traveled a lot and enjoyed living near the Cascades and the Rockies but when it comes to weather give me the Sierra. Headed for some backpacking near Carson Pass on Monday.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Great photos and trip report!

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camp woof wrote:
Beautiful!

Saw your vid of driving into Leavitt Lake, answered my own question of would a long bed dually make it ... "no" is what I came up with! (with camper intact anyway)

Cancelled a car camping trip 2 weekend ago due to smoke, will try next weekend around Sunrise Lakes (off Blue Lakes road area near Kirkwood/Hwy 88) , or where there might not be too much smoke!

What great photos, I'm still just thinking "wow".

Dave

For what itโ€™s worth, That video is of a couple years ago, the road is actually a lot better this year and believe it or not we saw a long bed dually make it up and down twice picking up backpackers. He didnโ€™t have a camper on however.
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Camp_woof
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful!

Saw your vid of driving into Leavitt Lake, answered my own question of would a long bed dually make it ... "no" is what I came up with! (with camper intact anyway)

Cancelled a car camping trip 2 weekend ago due to smoke, will try next weekend around Sunrise Lakes (off Blue Lakes road area near Kirkwood/Hwy 88) , or where there might not be too much smoke!

What great photos, I'm still just thinking "wow".

Dave

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Seeing snow, while having 110F outside my window ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
Tell us more about area?
Seems I've been within 1/2 hr of drive from there dozens of times, but never went this route.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sitting here in my Lance on the west fork of the Carson River reading your post and going hmmmn....
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags