cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arctic Fox Truck Campers?

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
.... Considering an Artic Fox TC ( new 865 Short Bed ) ( gonna go on a Short Bed Dually Dodge ) & wondering about the satisfaction level of owners on this forum.... Have you been happy with your Arctic Fox purchase? Anything to be aware of with Arctic Fox quality? Any suggestions please? Thanks...
35 REPLIES 35

RICKIM
Explorer III
Explorer III
We're on our second AF1140. We bought our 2008 brand new 10 yrs ago. It had been hauled over 100k miles and still looked and operated like new when we traded it for a 2018 1140.
We looked at other TCs but kept going back to the AFs.
Northwood is one of the few manufactures that still have three quality control checks
that happen before the units leave the factory.
We didn't have one problem that needed to be addressed at the dealership with our 2008, just regular maintenance and up-keep.
Good luck on your purchase,
Hope you have many enjoyable years with it....I know we did and will with ours.

Rick
2018 AF1140DB, 400W solar, Trimetric, Lifeline GPL-31XTโ€™s, rear deck,
2019 5500 Ram Crew, DRW, 6.7L-CTD, Custom TC bed, on board air, Front Rack

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Arctic Fox 990. WE love it and would recommend one to anybody who asks.

the only problems I have that are direct related to manufacture are as follows:

The door to under sink was installed crooked. you can see this just looking at it. Plus the door catch for both sink and RS cabinet over bed don't catch the door very well because they are not aligned which allows both doors to come open while traveling.

I found a soft spot about the size of a 50c piece in roof. It size almost looks like someone put a hammer through the roof, than covered it with the rubber roof membrane. Because it was making a low spot and was collecting a little water on roof I cleaned the area up and put etnerabond over the indentation, than built it up with dicore to stop the little puddle from forming and add support of something hit room in that area. This could have been caused by an honest mistake and I don't think its going to be a problem after I added support over the area.

Problem related to parts that AF does not directly manufacture.

I had a cheep plastic elbow break that attaches the plumbing to the hot water heater. There is a C clip inside the connector that broke. dealer said "they have all the parts you need at home depot" but that was not correct. I had to get parts from local trailer dealer and fixed it myself with the same **** that broke first time (hoping it was a defective connector). so far so good.

I have had the bearings come loose/ fall off the side track, but every 990 does that I hear. This system is not made by AF, just installed by them (are they leaving the nuts loose?)

and other little problem we have are common across all campers.

any outside hardware rusts. I keep after all the bolts with a little brush and clear rustoleum paint which seems to help, but 1/2 the powder coating came off the old down brackets and they are a mess. I just got to get around to power wire bushing them, taping them up and hit them with white rustoleum paint. could this be caused by us using the camper near the beach 30 nights per year? maybe.

the fan in back of refrigerator to promote draft when mounted in a slide could have been done better, but refrigerator manufacturer would rather make unit 1 piece with fan already attached than offering fans that work better in openings (and fan in my 5th wheel still works after being turned on 7 months straight for last 6 years).
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
You decided to downsize?

His 945 Lance legend is 11.3 feet so I doubt that is the reason..My guess would be the Lance is a non basement model that weighs less and is not as top heavy as the Arctic Fox..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2011 AF 1150 Drybath bought new and went to a 2018 AF 1150 Dry bath this summer. We love our Arctic Fox Truck Camper.

Had less problems with our 2011 AF 1150 in 7 years than our Stealth Toyhauler in 18 months. LOL.
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

Bedlam
macdale4 wrote:
We bought a new 2014 AF 1140 and two years later sold it and bought a 1998 Lance. What does that tell you.

You decided to downsize?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
macdale4 wrote:
We bought a new 2014 AF 1140 and two years later sold it and bought a 1998 Lance. What does that tell you.

Thereโ€™s always one in every crowd!

macdale4
Explorer
Explorer
Dale & Eileen
1998 Lance 945 Legend
2011 Ford F-350, dually, 4 X 4

Kalabin
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
Are you sure you want a short bed TC? Having had a TC, I can't quit wrap my head around (or myself into) a short bed TC.

Short bed 865 can accommodate an onboard generator. That's why I'd go shortbed, if I had a short bed dually.

AFs really should be hauled on a dually because they are so heavy

That is one of the main reasons I went with the Wolf Creek 840, it's similar in floor plan and built by the same factory / tech's the build the Arctic Fox's but about 1,000lbs lighter. That and we needed the cabinet that converts to a bunk bed.

If I had a dually I would have given serious consideration to the Arctic Fox.
2009 Ford F350 V10 4.10 FX4 Crew Cab SRW, Timbrens, Leer Topper

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
I have had my 2006 Arctic Fox 1150 since 2010, and it is wonderful. Very high quality build, very few issues. Tons of storage, more than I can fill. Accessing the bathroom and the whole camper with the slide in is a big plus when in a tight parking spot, or stealth camping. I've been overnight in minus 10 Fahrenheit, with a colder wind chill, and was warm and comfy, with the water system fully functional.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
hrose..... Yes, looks like lots of storage & if we pull back seats out of the truck we should be able to haul some "stuff" with us..

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I love my 811. It has been totally trouble free during the 8.75 years I've owned it. I still can't believe I've had it that long.

If I replace it, I'd get another Arctic Fox - either an 865 or a 992.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

hrose
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Af1140 for 2 years now. I dont had any problem with it.

Thats true that the AF are on the heavy side but theres a LOT of storage when you compare to many of the competitor.

Anyways you wanna get their lightest camper and haul it with a dually, so i dont see why people are telling you thats heavy, its very irrelevent in your case

Crazy_Creek
Explorer
Explorer
I had to reroute the plumbing on the fresh water tank on my AF865. The intake to the freshwater pump is at the top front of the tank. If you are parked nose high you "run out of water" rather quickly because it is such a long tank.

My 865 is a 2013. They may have changed the plumbing in newer models to fix that problem.

That and the rat's nest wiring under the step up to the bed are my only real complaints. It's been a great unit otherwise.

I second the thought about hauling it on a dually. We sold our SRW in favor of a Dually and the difference is night and day.

Mike

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Just one word: HEAVY!
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.