cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many people put power awning in every night?

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
With my old manual awning, I used to put stakes in the ground and use ratchet straps to tie it down. Never had an issue or thought about bringing it in in high winds. Now with the power awning I'm afraid of every little gust of wind and I've been bringing it in every night. DW thinks I'm being paranoid. I'm wondering how many others bring it in every night? Or do you leave it out if the weather forecast is decent?
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids
70 REPLIES 70

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
lewisr wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Lantley wrote:
@ Ralph Cramden
Once upon a time I took your approach. But now I realize the electric awnings are just too flimsy to survive a strong wind.
I put my stuff under the fiver overhang for the night and just press that button and not worry about any overnight gust or what the weather is going to do.
I awake and push that button again and all is well.
I no longer feel the need to protect my table/stuff with the awning overnight.
It's not worth the risk.
Mother Nature can easily destroy our flimsy awnings despite our best attempts to strap them down with various gadgets

I feel little risk if any, since my various gadgets have proven themselves on more than one occasion, including the one when the ranger station 1/4 mile away recorded 70 mph gusts and 45 mph sustained winds.

Your awning/technique must be better than mine. I would not suggest leaving out an awning in 70 MPH winds, that's just me.

Your table must be pretty sturdy as well as the 70 MPH winds did not affect it either.
Yes I consider 70 MPH winds a risk, I will push the button.

The 70 mph gusts were in a popup storm while away at the lake, took out a few popup canopys and knocked down some tents.

On another forum a gent makes and sells aluminum brackets for pole attachment on Dometic awnings, basically a kit that comes with a detailed plan for the poles, the brackets and mounting hardware. Another member had been making and selling the poles. They are self storing so you have the option of using them OEM style or not, and you need not store the poles elsewhere, and they take less than 5 minutes to deploy if you want to use them. Want to run the awning in? Pull two ratchet straps and two pins....have at it. 30 seconds or less.

Those guys sold hundreds if not thousands over the last few years, actually could not keep up with orders, so I guess they dont work and are a bad idea. Especially since I dont remember ever seeing one post where someone lost an awning when using them other than when the user screwed up, like using unsecure ground anchors. But then again here at RV.net, having absolutly no experience with a modification qualifies one as having a high level of expertise with something they have not had and know absolutely nothing about, as per usual.

Run your awning in and out half a dozen times a day if you wish, have at it.

As far as power or manual.....good luck getting a manual now days as a lot of manufacturers will not install a manual one even by special order. Rockwood had agreed to install a manual when we did a factory order in 2015....with a caveat that they would not cover the lower bracket attachment points under warranty because backing was installed in the mass produced laminated wall panels for the power awning, and there was no way to alter or add more to align with the manual attachment points.

I bought the brackets you speak of and made my own poles with black pvc. I use rachet straps and “The Claw” hold down stakes. Very sturdy setup. I leave mine out all day and night.

It is....and if you add the poles to use deflapper clips its even more so. I put mine out last Wednesday evening and its staying out until 9-16 even when I commute back and forth to work a few of those days. I don't have any worries at all. If I had any worries it would be the daily in and out as the motors have been known to be the weak point on a Dometic and theyre a little pricey.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

lewisr
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Lantley wrote:
@ Ralph Cramden
Once upon a time I took your approach. But now I realize the electric awnings are just too flimsy to survive a strong wind.
I put my stuff under the fiver overhang for the night and just press that button and not worry about any overnight gust or what the weather is going to do.
It's not worth the risk.
Mother Nature can easily destroy our flimsy awnings despite our best attempts to strap them down with various gadgets

I feel little risk if any, since my various gadgets have proven themselves on more than one occasion, including the one when the ranger station 1/4 mile away recorded 70 mph gusts and 45 mph sustained winds.

Your awning/technique must be better than mine. I would not suggest leaving out an awning in 70 MPH winds, that's just me.

Your table must be pretty sturdy as well as the 70 MPH winds did not affect it either.

The 70 mph gusts were in a popup storm while away at the lake, took out a few popup canopys and knocked down some tents.

On another forum a gent makes and sells aluminum brackets for pole attachment on Dometic awnings, basically a kit that comes with a detailed plan for the poles, the brackets and mounting hardware. Another member had been making and selling the poles. They are self storing so you have the option of using them OEM style or not, and you need not store the poles elsewhere, and they take less than 5 minutes to deploy if you want to use them. Want to run the awning in? Pull two ratchet straps and two pins....have at it. 30 seconds or less.

Those guys sold hundreds if not thousands over the last few years, actually could not keep up with orders, so I guess they dont work and are a bad idea. Especially since I dont remember ever seeing one post where someone lost an awning when using them other than when the user screwed up, like using unsecure ground anchors. But then again here at RV.net, having absolutly no experience with a modification qualifies one as having a high level of expertise with something they have not had and know absolutely nothing about, as per usual.

As far as power or manual.....good luck getting a manual now days as a lot of manufacturers will not install a manual one even by special order. Rockwood had agreed to install a manual when we did a factory order in 2015....with a caveat that they would not cover the lower bracket attachment points under warranty because backing was installed in the mass produced laminated wall panels for the power awning, and there was no way to alter or add more to align with the manual attachment points.

I bought the brackets you speak of and made my own poles with black pvc. I use rachet straps and “The Claw” hold down stakes. Very sturdy setup. I leave mine out all day and night.
'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

KW4G
Explorer
Explorer
I always retract the power awning at night. The wife and I have had our share of trying to retract awnings during a sudden storm with high winds.
Roy Jackson
Sebring, Florida
RV'ing since 1985
Ham Radio Operator since 1983

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
I don't leave it out when we are gone for the day. Unless I expect strong winds at night, we have left it out over night. It keeps the front of the camper dry in rain or dew and keeps the sun at bay on that side so we can sleep longer and cooler in the summer.

We always make sure to keep the arms clear of obstruction at night so that I can easily retract it if we hear wind or banging.

Just came back from a five day trip and used your logic. Works great and is nice to have dry stuff after a night of rain but no wind. The sensor didn't go off.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry but my awning works just fine. Too say my awning is stronger then the next is just foolish.

All awnings provided shade and all can be destroyed in a high wind. Some are easier to use, some provide better coverage and some "features" are little more than add hype.

If you like your awning fine, if you do not like your awning, there are others on the market.

To answer the OPs question, if it bother you to leave it out, roll it in.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Lantley wrote:
@ Ralph Cramden
It's not worth the risk.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Farm Camp wrote:

I've seen a few fellow campers lose their awnings too I have to admit. .

Once I found myself out at 4AM quickly unhooking the straps and pulling it in when a really nasty thunderstorm rolled in. The rest fo the time it's just been there doing it's job. I might loose it someday. It might wear out too.

Guess I'm lucky so far, but, I've noticed while out camping that many or maybe most of my neighbors seem to use a similar strategy of using their awnings for their intended purpose, tying them down if they feel the need, and pulling them in if wind gets really bad...

I'm not trying to do a 4:00 AM scramble. I'm also not relying on luck or good fortune. I push the button and go to bed without contemplating the scramble drill or rolling the dice. BTDT.
Yes I've strapped,tilted staked and rode out a few storms but now I see no need for any of that.
I just push the button as required and all awning worries are solved in 15 seconds.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Lantley wrote:
@ Ralph Cramden
It's not worth the risk.

Correct Trax,Splendide

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
I've gotta admit I'm surprised to be seemingly in the minority here. The default for my awning is extended at all times. But I do try to practice some common sense. When I've stayed at the beach I left it in or mostly in most of the time...

Where we camp (mostly in Ohio) we can get sudden and unexpected very gusty thunderstorms, but, for the first two years I never bothered even strapping mine down. I just watched the sky and if it looked like it's gonna blow hard I'd pull it in.

In the last three years I started strapping it down if the winds might get iffy... I angle it down low and slope it down further on one side if I expect really heavy rain to make sure it sheds water... If I am leaving the campground and there is a chance of severe wind I might bring it in while I'm away... Maybe. Not often.

Heck... I even left mine extended and tied down all night as a tropical storm passed us at Disney's Fort Wilderness a couple of years ago...

I've seen a few fellow campers lose their awnings too I have to admit. Not any that were strapped down as far as I can remember though. A buddy didn't slope his to make sure the water would shed off and it ponded up and bent his tube.

Once I found myself out at 4AM quickly unhooking the straps and pulling it in when a really nasty thunderstorm rolled in. The rest fo the time it's just been there doing it's job. I might loose it someday. It might wear out too.

Guess I'm lucky so far, but, I've noticed while out camping that many or maybe most of my neighbors seem to use a similar strategy of using their awnings for their intended purpose, tying them down if they feel the need, and pulling them in if wind gets really bad...
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing like having the convenience of a flimsy power awning and then adding straps, bars and posts in an effort to get it a bit more stable, but still not as good as a manual awning. Some of us that have camped for many years remember when you put out a manual awning and never worried about it unless the weather made the national news. But now folks like buttons to push instead of actually doing things.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
@ Ralph Cramden
It's not worth the risk.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
@ Ralph Cramden
It's not worth the risk.
Correct Trax,Splendide

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I guess its different for everyone. We dont have much out except 2 chairs and 2 small folding tables which I can slide under the fiver and the chairs get put away.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
Electric awnings are all about push button convenience.
It's hard to teach an old dog a new trick, but there is really nothing to debate. Bring it in. Why take a chance? Extend or retract requires little effort.
Just push that button at bedtime and push it again in the morning.

It may be about convenience....but I prefer to get up in the morning and not have the picnic table, 3 burner Camp Chef Stove and the grill, the chairs we use around the fire, and whatever else wet due to the overnight dew.....or rain. I certainly am not into covering or packing everything away every evening. I guess your method works great if you just pull in to a site and run the awning out with nothing under it.

When that windy storm pops up, or on that blustery fall weekend, I'll be the guy sitting under the awning drinking beer and not worrying one bit about any of it.