cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

North South route to avoid Nashville

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone worked out a route with as few stop lights signs and little towns, that will allow you to bypass Nashville, Tn on I65 and I24?
And Chattanooga?

We have in the past car only taken 31 and 27 and won't do it again on purpose.
Kinda defeats the purpose if it takes longer and tires the nerves.
11 REPLIES 11

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
ADAD437 wrote:
just take briley pkwy around nashville, only a couple lights and good road, do it all the time with no problems.

Absolutely. If going north or south on I-24, look for state 155, Briley Parkway, it loops around the East side of town, goes right by Opryland and the airport, and is limited access except for a couple of lights on the south side by the airport. Rarely is there any traffic on it, 6 lanes most of the way. Interstates thru downtown are horrible, won't do them anymore.

Chattanooga I just go thru on I-75 to I24 and back. It is really not that bad. Roads are not good but unless you hit it at the rush hour, its Ok.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
iJust thinking or mulling it over:
We live not far from 136 and have taken it to Trenton and then over Lookout Mountain, to Lafayette and still on 136 to where it joins 80, I think to Ringgold, Ga. and I75.
Tiring n a car in a MH well... We have also gone to I59 and then to Gadsden, Al and turned left on what amounts to the old South Carolina road, or close to it and over to I75. Not fun either, or From 136 Trenton to Lookout Mtn and down the spine to est of Gadsden, not fun either.
Even tried I59 to Birmingham, why? and I20 east I285 to I75. Won't do it again.
I suppose the best thing to do is drive through Nashville and Chattanooga on I24, hit Nashville at past midnight Central time and Chattanooga at about 4:00am Eastern time or a bit earlier. Not crazy about that either.
From where we live we get either one or the other depending on if we are going south or north.
If we cam make it past Chattanooga, I75 to Knoxville is not great but past Knoxville to Michigan and I96 or wherever from there is a lot better than dealing with Louisville and Indy, and I65 in Indiana. Lot less traffic.
The new I69 alignment once past Nashville from Ft Campbell Pennyrile exit, I haven't heard or read of the total route alignment but it crosses I65 near Elizabethtown or does it run with I65 from there?
I haven't figured out how to beat Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta going south yet or going north either but Chattanooga and I75 north seems to be the best.
If I can find a way eat Nashville traffic. I24 to I57 to I55 is great but then have to deal with Chicago and it goes down hill.....and it is longer.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
To bypass Chattanooga from I-24 east to I-75 south I really see only 1 option. GA-136 from Trenton GA, exit 10 on I-59. To Resaca GA, exit 320 on I-75. You will have to cross Lookout Mountain.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
I do not know where you are coming from or where you are going.

As said above TN 155 Briley Parkway is a good bypass either on the east or west of Nashville.

A wider bypass is Clarksville, Dickson, I-840, Gallatin, I-65

However, the best way is to drive through Nashville at sometime other than rush hour.

We were just in Nashville this last April, Briley Parkway was what we used. VERY easy going that route! Just don't be in rush hour going around ANY large city and you'll do just fine! We've been through Nashville twice in the the last 3 years and 155 worked GREAT for us!

Dan

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
North-South, there is not a good bypass for Nashville. East-West 840 is a lot further, but faster. Briley parkway is good from or to I-65 north, buy there is still a LOT of traffic north of the intersection. Except for during rush hours, straight through is usually the best and quickest. I-65 north, and I-24 East are always horrible, but doable.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went straight thru Nashville around 11am on a weekday and there wasn't anything as far as traffic problem. We just cruised right thru. We avoid large cities when possible, but would have no problem driving thru Nashville again. Memphis was much worse.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Traffic backups before getting to Briley Pkwy are up to half n hour or longer depending on time of day and or construction and wrecks. Coming south on Briley, getting onto I24 there is now always a considerable backup.
We use to take Briley a lot. 840, at murfreesboros, from I24 to I40, get off at Lebanon and onto 231, north from there or vise versa might work. Last time through real several stoplights north of I40. Maybe west of Nashville are some options?

If it wasn't so far going north 840 west to I40 and at some exit go north perhaps. If you could intercept I24 before Hopkinsville exit and east or now north on Pennyrile/I69 to I65 at Elizabethown.
I doubt any of that makes sense. Sure would be a longer trip.
Nah not practical.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For fun, maybe, go to Google Maps and put in your origin and destination to see what Google recommends. Then you can tweek the route to bypass whatever you want. It calculates the miles and the time for the new route and allows one to return to the original.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I do not know where you are coming from or where you are going.

As said above TN 155 Briley Parkway is a good bypass either on the east or west of Nashville.

A wider bypass is Clarksville, Dickson, I-840, Gallatin, I-65

However, the best way is to drive through Nashville at sometime other than rush hour.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
just take briley pkwy around nashville, only a couple lights and good road, do it all the time with no problems.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛

melandme
Explorer
Explorer
A route that I have used a couple of times is US 231 from Murfreesboro TN to US 31E and then north into KY. After getting into KY you can take 231 to Bowling Green at Scottsville or stay on 31E to Glasgow and then either the Cumberland Parkway or KY 90 to I65. A couple of years ago, we left the Sunday after Thanksgiving headed south and went this route to avoid construction on I65 and Nashville. We did not hit any traffic until I24 at Murfreesboro. From there to Chattanooga, traffic was a pain. Most of the stoplights will be in Murfreesboro, with Lebanon and Glasgow having a few. We like taking the secondary roads and would go this way again. The Pilot in Lebanon has RV lanes which we had no trouble getting into with our class C and toad. Bailey Point Campground, a COE campground, on Barren River between Scottsvile and Glasgow is a very nice campground.