Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing a mini van

Lisa_Boyer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi again...

Researching all of this, sure drums home how much I "don't" know!

On towing..we would like to tow our Town and Country (mini van) behind the rv. How much of a strain does this put on the rv? Should we go something with less weight? Does the towing hitch and assembly make a difference? Flat, or front tires elevated?

I've been reading online and frankly, it's confusing. So many different ideas and responses, so many contradictions. I was hoping to clear the air here.

TIA
10 REPLIES 10

mike2wheels
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a number of Dodge and Chrysler minivans used as toads, but I think most had the lube pump installed to be flat towed. We use a tow dolly to tow our Town and Country and it tows nicely, but we have a 400 hp diesel and a class IV hitch. Our Town and Country weighs a bit over 4000 lbs.
2005 Honda Gold Wing
2006 HR Endeavor 40PAQ

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Braking is not a concern as long as you install an aux. braking system which is required in every State for vehicles of that size. As long as the RV's combined weight rating works and the tow hitch and tow bar meet specs you should be just fine.
Your biggest concern might be if the vehicle is towable 4-wheels down or whether you have to make some major modifications before making the attempt.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Your owner's manual should tell you if and how it's towable. If you don't have it look up the manual online.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Lisa Boyer wrote:
Sorry for not giving enough info,

Class A, 2004 Itasca. Gas powered.

You don't say which model Itasca but since it is gas powered it is likely, but not certain, that you only have a 5,000 pound hitch rating. Most, but not all, minivans would be too heavy. Remember it isn't just about being able to get it moving down the road, it is about being able to stop it too.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say what year your car is but I'm thinking it may need a lube pump to tow it. See Remco's site.

Here's a good site for how to tow a car, in general and what is needed:

https://images.goodsam.com/newmotorhome/towguides/2018DinghyGuide.pdf
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lisa_Boyer
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for not giving enough info,

Class A, 2004 Itasca. Gas powered.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Putting something like a heavy van on a small gas motorhome might be a strain or even over towing capacity. Doing the same on a larger more powerful diesel pusher probably not to absolutely not. What are you using for a motorhome?
Most vans aren’t towable 4 down .. so that means dolly ,trailer or get rid of it and buy something that is towable 4 down.
You don’t give enough info for. Clear answer so come on back and fill us in ??
Bill

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
what rv do you have?
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
This is a complicated subject. Usually, front wheel drive vehicles with automatic transmissions CAN'T be flat towed, you either need to put them on a trailer or put the front wheels up on a towing dolly.

I suggest you get RV Education 101's DVD TOWING BEHIND YOUR MOTORHOME.

http://shop.rveducation101.com/towing-behind-your-motorhome-dvd-p15.php

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
How much does the minivan weigh loaded for travel? What can your MH tow? Is the van four down towable? What braking systems have you considered?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad