cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which route

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading for St. Louis in a few days and have a choice of two routes. Interstate 80 or 40. The distance is about the same but the temperature is the factor. I would prefer 40 because I driven it more, but the thought of 115 degrees compared to 85 degrees and which would be easier on the motor home I just switched from a diesel to gas. I now have a 3013 Newmar Canyon Star.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
10 REPLIES 10

caver
Nomad
Nomad
GHOST1750 wrote:

It's not the winds but the 115 degree tempts this time of the year. I have fought winds on 40, winds strong enough to topple semis and turn over SUV's.

It's not the 115 degree temps. Today's high in OKC is 85.

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
caver wrote:
I always get hammered more from southerly winds on I80. I don't ever really recall fighting much wind on I40.

It's not the winds but the 115 degree tempts this time of the year. I have fought winds on 40, winds strong enough to topple semis and turn over SUV's.
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
If you like looking at endless miles of corn and soybean fields then I-80 is the way to go!

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

caver
Nomad
Nomad
I always get hammered more from southerly winds on I80. I don't ever really recall fighting much wind on I40.

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
GHOST1750 wrote:
I would prefer 40 because I driven it more, but....

I'm wondering why driving on a different interstate would be uncomfortable to you regarding the 'driving part'? They're all the same... billboards and cities. They all have rest areas, truck stops, the same fast food places.

I think you probably have a point there, haven't you heard when you get old you get set in your ways. :R We will come back 40. The first time I drove from there to here after being released from the Air Force the route was not 40 but route 66, the original two lane historical highway. Motels were a whole $6.00 at the most, that was in 1958, so you can see, I'm well set in my ways.:B
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver2 wrote:
"Why not I-70" much more up and down.

And soOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more to SEE.

But if you are driving out west to Just Drive, stay at the top or the Bottom, Leave out the Beautiful Middle in Colorado!

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
GHOST1750 wrote:
I would prefer 40 because I driven it more, but....

I'm wondering why driving on a different interstate would be uncomfortable to you regarding the 'driving part'? They're all the same... billboards and cities. They all have rest areas, truck stops, the same fast food places.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
"Why not I-70" much more up and down.
Turret Class traveler

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
GHOST1750 wrote:
We are heading for St. Louis in a few days and have a choice of two routes. Interstate 80 or 40. The distance is about the same but the temperature is the factor. I would prefer 40 because I driven it more, but the thought of 115 degrees compared to 85 degrees and which would be easier on the motor home I just switched from a diesel to gas. I now have a 3013 Newmar Canyon Star.

Why not I-70? some Hot and some Cool.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you are coming from somewhere on the west coast. We like 80 in summer, 40 spring and fall, 10 in winter. This time of year 80 would win for me.
Turret Class traveler