Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aspiring Full Time RV College Student Address/Domicile

zenprincess
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! 🙂

I am new to this forum. Thx in advance! I am planning to get an RV and do full time sometime next year. I reside in TX which I've read is a good thing!

I'm hoping to get feedback from someone who has done college online while living in an RV. I'm almost done with my associate's at my current school. They have strict guidelines for proving that you're a resident in district. Since I only have two semesters left and my current address has been recently updated by using my lease, there would be no reason for them to check it if I decided to travel before school was over. (I already go online....Austin Community College)

It did get me thinking about online schools and how I'll be able to give them an address and what they will require etc. Not sure how this would affect my FAFSA either. Finding an accredited online school for Psychology and figuring out what they'll require for residency has me in a pickle.

Any feedback would be appreciated! I'm mostly just free thinking and throwing it out there. It's my biggest hurdle! These address/mailforwarding services....what proof could I even submit to a school? Maybe someone knows of a legitimate online school that won't require so much detailed residency info.

Thanks. 🙂
7 REPLIES 7

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
zenprincess wrote:

I'm hoping to get feedback from someone who has done college online while living in an RV. I'm almost done with my associate's at my current school. They have strict guidelines for proving that you're a resident in district. Since I only have two semesters left and my current address has been recently updated by using my lease, there would be no reason for them to check it if I decided to travel before school was over. (I already go online....Austin Community College)

With all due respect, I think you need to take a course in ethics and personal responsibility instead of trying to deceive your current college.

OH, PLEASE! Moderators, please let me answer this question without getting banned from the site due to my response!
To the OP, you did see that he is a TX resident and you do not have to live in TX to be a TX resident, right?

Maybe I misread the OP's comment when he/she said, "They have strict guidelines for proving that you're a resident in district. Since I only have two semesters left and my current address has been recently updated by using my lease, there would be no reason for them to check it if I decided to travel before school was over." I have to take that to mean the OP plans to travel around and reside in the school's district as required by the "strict guidelines..."

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
DownTheAvenue wrote:
zenprincess wrote:

With all due respect, I think you need to take a course in ethics and personal responsibility instead of trying to deceive your current college.

OH, PLEASE! Moderators, please let me answer this question without getting banned from the site due to my response!
To the OP, you did see that he is a TX resident and you do not have to live in TX to be a TX resident, right?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I've been through this with a couple of students (my son and a friend.) Many colleges will not accept something like a PO Box. They would accept something like a lot number in a RV park, but quite often you can't get mail there. Any time you have to apply for aid, your address on your FAFSA and other aid forms needs to match the address you use for tax returns, and they all need to match the physical address where you live.

IME attempting to move around in a RV is a not a good idea while you need to stay in a specific area for in-state tuition. You would be better off getting a shared apartment, with regard to utilities and maintenance costs.

Now I realize that rents are sky-high in Austin, and that may be what's moving you towards a RV. If you still decide to go for a RV, my advice is to get one and park it in one place for extended periods. That means a commercial RV park. You can only stay a couple of weeks at most local/state/Federal campgrounds.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
zenprincess wrote:

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
First, tell us why you're choosing to live in an RV.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I know you can join escapees.com for the domicile and mail forwarding, as far as online degrees Arizona State has one of the best known online programs, including Psych. However I don't know how your domicile choice may play into tuition cost and assistance programs.
If you want to stay with a Texas program you may want to start here,,,
https://www.psychology.org/online-degrees/texas/
This way you are not going to run into the "instate tuition" questions.
Good luck.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I just read an article regarding being a full timer in an RV, establishing residency and things like mail forwarding, etc. There is a company in Texas that helps with those things. It’s callled Escapees. You might check out their website for ideas on what you would need to do.