Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shackles flipped ?

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
Pic
I had the trailer lifted by the auto level until all four wheels were off the ground. Somehow the shackles on one axle flipped such that the spring eye bolt is below and hitting the ez flex arm. Both front and rear shackles should be above the ez flex equalizer arms. If I jack all four wheels off the ground and put spacers under tires and lower back down I move the issue front to rear, but no amount of jerking and prying will get both spring shackles where they should be.
Will I have to pull the bolts out to get this back to normal?
I’ll try to add a picture of the issue. A bit latter.

Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch
9 REPLIES 9

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
“The question I have is, why would you allow the auto level to lift the trailer until all four wheels were off the ground? It is my understanding that you get the trailer somewhat level before activating the auto level feature.“

I don’t normally do that. I was greasing the suspension and needed to retap a grease fitting hole that is on top of the equalizer. Hidden inside the the hanger, so I needed it to pivot to gain access.
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

Bessie-Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
Lift the axle with the proper shackle with a bottle jack. That will cause the equalizer to rotate and make it easier to snap the shackle back in place. Been there, done that!

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
The question I have is, why would you allow the auto level to lift the trailer until all four wheels were off the ground? It is my understanding that you get the trailer somewhat level before activating the auto level feature.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
I was camping at Salt Springs Florida and this happened to a fellow camper. The fix is to run one axle up on a board like you did.

I'm sorry I didn't see the post earlier and save you a lot of work.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
All is right in the world.
I was going to try the pry bar method, but first I wanted to put spacers under the tires on the good axle because previously when I had the weight off both axles and flipped the bad one the other axle went out. Well I put a 2x8 block in front of the good axle and when DW pulled the rig forward there was a loud crack. The bad axle flipped back into place just from that 1 1/2 “ rise on the good axle.
I guess the first speed bump I went over might have straightened things out also.
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
Nope just used the leveling system to take some of the weight off and like I said a big pry bar. It is hard because it is probably twisted different then the other side you have to move a lot. I also had it hitched to the truck.
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks downthe road for fixing the picture,
Camping hut. Did you somehow lift the weight off the axle that’s wrong? I was thinking of driving the good axle up on blocks to get the weight off the one that’s flipped.
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
Last time i did that it took a large pry bar and patience to fix it. It helps to almost have all the weight off of both sides.
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Can't help with the shackles, but I can help with your picture..

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro