cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

generators

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
How often do you veterans run your generator? I know that will vary depending on whether you boondock or stay in RV parks etc. but just in general, why do you need a generator, what aspects of camping require a generator? Does a generator give you a much better camping experience? Other than run the A/C and microwave, what does a generator do for you?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
25 REPLIES 25

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ditto Lantley's response. Don't use the genny a lot, but it there when we want it or need it.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
My built in generator gives me lots of options.
Some are very simple. I can stop for lunch or breakfast at a Cracker Barrel and and leave the dog in an air conditioned trailer.
I can stop for a nap and have A/C wherever I am. I can boondock or stay at a marina and have electric.
I can overnight at a Walmart with full electric. Power failure at a CG I have electric.
Honestly I don't do any of those things often or regularly, but I have done them all at one time or another.
Having a genset allows me to be fully self contained at all times which gives me lots of options and different way to use my RV
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
azrving wrote:
No. I installed a transfer switch and Progressive Ind EMS. The generator doesn't run through the EMS just shore power does.

Transfer switch wired from the main shore input to generator input at the front of the 5?

Shore power cord goes into the 30 amp EMS then into the transfer switch. Generator goes into transfer switch. Transfer switch goes to power center.

Cord hanging down to ground

I no longer use the enclosure because I dont run the generator nearly as much now that we have solar. I also started hauling other stuff so removing the enclosure let me shed 75 pounds. Even without it it's very quiet. The right side of the cabinet has a 120 volt 10 inch axial fan thats plugged into the generator. Left end of cabinet has a louvered vent. When it was real hot and running the ac for hours I could prop the lid open at about 45 degrees.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
azrving wrote:
No. I installed a transfer switch and Progressive Ind EMS. The generator doesn't run through the EMS just shore power does.

Transfer switch wired from the main shore input to generator input at the front of the 5?

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
azrving wrote:
10 gauge cord comes from the transfer switch through the front lower basement wall and runs under the overhang. It runs past the pin box up into the truck bed. I can coil it up and stuff it in the pin box cavity. At first it was long enough to reach the generator. I then made an extension so that the truck didn't have to be so close to the RV and I could park it off to the side or Park the hood of the truck to the RV. Don't make that mistake the first time because you're buying more twist-lock plugs.

Was the 5 pre wired for Generator?

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
azrving wrote:
10 gauge cord comes from the transfer switch through the front lower basement wall and runs under the overhang. It runs past the pin box up into the truck bed. I can coil it up and stuff it in the pin box cavity. At first it was long enough to reach the generator. I then made an extension so that the truck didn't have to be so close to the RV and I could park it off to the side or Park the hood of the truck to the RV. Don't make that mistake the first time because you're buying more twist-lock plugs.

Was the 5 pre wired for Generator?

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
azrving wrote:
Ours is bolted in the truck bed and has a remote start so we use it as you would in a MH. If it's hot we can fire it up before stopping for a break.

How is it wired into the 5?

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
azrving wrote:
Ours is bolted in the truck bed and has a remote start so we use it as you would in a MH. If it's hot we can fire it up before stopping for a break.

How is it wired into the 5?

mike2wheels
Explorer
Explorer
On many of our trips the outside temps have been 80+ degrees, so we use the generator to power the AC while driving. If we're dry camping on a warm night we'll use the generator.
2005 Honda Gold Wing
2006 HR Endeavor 40PAQ

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
As you can see by the responses, it basically comes down to will you have shore power? If shore power = yes, then no, generally there is no need for a generator.

Will you be boondocking/dry camping? If yes, then having a generator depends. As many have already mentioned, I also have both a small solar system { (2) 100W panels, (2) 12V grp27 batteries and a 1000W inverter } and (2) Champion 2000W Inverter generators with the parallel kit.

I will only run the generator(s) if needed so I consider them a backup. Even though they are quiet, I do not like running them as I'd MUCH rather listen to a river/stream or nature. If I need air conditioning, then yes I would need to run the generators while boondocking but I try and find reasonably cool places to boondock where air conditioning is not needed. Then you have cloudy or rainy days which might require a generator to run to recharge batteries.

Yes, I could better optimize my solar system by running (2) 6V batteries in series or better, even more batteries. More solar panels to get me to 600W +. It all comes down to the money being spent. One day I'll get there but for now, I'm satisfied.
I love me some land yachting

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
We mostly dry camp and use our Honda 2000I to recharge batteries if our solar can not keep up, also once in a while we will use the built in generator for the microwave or AC while dry camping but it is noisier and uses a lot of propane. when using either generator we comply with the generator usage rules for the campground or park we are in and try to be courteous to other campers
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
Race dirt bikes once a month April-October. Locations don't have campgrounds. Typical for us to run 30 hours in a weekend, mainly to have AC overnight, but also to enjoy all the other amenities. We don't have solar.

Also nice to run while travelling in hot weather so rig is cool when we stop.

If we have a choice, we'll take a full hook up campground in most cases, but generator let's us enjoy all our camper has to offer, regardless.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
We have boondocked in AZ for the past seven years. We occasionally add some generator time when batteries get low and solar is slow to recharge(cloudy days.) We run the generator for using AC and rarely in the morning to recharge the batteries faster when needed.

Note: Gas generators need to be run monthly under load according to the manufacturer. Avoids gumming up the carburetor and more. No need to discuss how I learned this with my first RV.......... thought I was being smart to not run it. NOPE. They are designed and need to be used. Monthly exercising run time is in your manual.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
A generator would give you a lot more flexibility in staying in different types of campgrounds (national parks, national forests, etc.) Solar would do the same. Having neither would be the pits... for us, anyway. We dislike RV parks.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel