cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dead horse state park UT

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for any info you can give about the campground facilities. We would be looking at going around the middle of Sept. Don't know if we will need reservations at time of the year? Etc
Thanks!
Proud father of a US Marine
13 REPLIES 13

Dr__Blake
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed here this summer. It was great for exploring Arches and the canyons around the campground. We were there in August so the electricity was nice for the AC. Kids had a blast riding bikes on the very nicely paved roads! We really liked it and it wasn't busy.

Fun fact - the wind blows like crazy at night; I was unaware of this until the first night...
2013 GMC 3500HD Diesel Denali
2019 Outdoors RV 28BHS
Sold - 2012 Arctic Fox 25S
Alberta Canada

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 CrewMax (Sold - I loved this truck)

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
Great location and campground. Funny story, when the boys were young we stopped here on our way back from Colorado. After setting up, my youngest was upset..... Where are all the horses??? His brother promptly smacked him in the head and said " that's why it's called DEAD horse state park you idiot" Took a lot of effort and tongue biting not to burst out laughing!
2018 F150 FX4, 3.5 EB, max tow
2019.5 Lance 2375
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
(Where's 4runnerguy's awesome write-up on Moab?) Hello? Are you out there? ๐Ÿ™‚
Just bumped the Primer on Moab post so it's easier to find.

OP - yeah, reservations at Dead Horse are needed until November. It's probably already booked full for mid-September as the weather is getting quite fine by then. And don't plan on arriving on a Friday and getting a first-come, first-served site.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Ken's Lake BLM campground is another option without reservations. There are also campgrounds along the Colorado River on Hwy 128 at Moab. You'd need to get there early morning Mon-Thurs otherwise they'll probably be full but you may get lucky.

Here's a good site: http://discovermoab.com/blm-campgrounds/

(Where's 4runnerguy's awesome write-up on Moab?) Hello? Are you out there? ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
Thanks for the replies, we are going to have to play it by ear.. If they are full, we will try horse thief

If all else fails there are a few Passport America options in the Area -- PA Utah

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, we are going to have to play it by ear.. If they are full, we will try horse thief
Proud father of a US Marine

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Dead Horse is an awesome place to stay. Yes, September will still be a busy time. However, check the reservation site to see how it's filling up. You might get lucky, especially if coming in during the week or Sunday by Noon, to get a site without reservations. There are always cancellations or no shows. Always have a backup plan.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will definitely need reservations, especially in September.

:C

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
Great CG. We were there about 10 years ago. At the end of the road great view of the winding river. CG has little roof and electrical outlet for lights. No campfire were allowed when we were there. Lots of Juniper bush. There was drinking water but suggested to have freshwater tanks filled before arrival.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
They now have two campgrounds, most sites with electric only. No water at the park - they have to truck it in, so even at the bathrooms they ask you to limit your use to 1 gallon per person per day. Some sites have beautiful views of the canyons, others so so. I like the park as a center for exploring the national parks in the area when it is hot enough to want electricity for the AC, otherwise, Horse Thief is very nice.

Even if you stay at Horse Thief, be sure to drive out to the end of Dead Horse Point park. The views are breathtaking!

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there 4 years ago and I did a review with lots of photos - we really liked it. Dead Horse State Park
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
If you has a senior pass you my want to check out Horse Thief BLM campground across the road from the SP.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Posts with Dead horse in them
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman