cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what am I not thinking of???

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
I have an OX tow plate being installed Thursday, I'm picking up a very mildly used Ready Brake Elite tow bar with the blue ox clevis, I've got a set of magnetic lights to set up the tow. I've ordered the cable kit.
What have I forgotten? 2015 Winnebago Adventurer towing a 2003 Jeep Wrangler. ?????????????????
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
9 REPLIES 9

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
8 Inch drop will do it. Most tow bar manufactures recommend 2inch plus minis off level.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
OK, finishing up and ready to make the connections, The hitch is coming in at 26" and the tow plate is at 16". What size drop down do I need, or what size is usable?
Bob & Lynn

RichNewcome
Explorer
Explorer
At some point you might want to consider an indicator light in the RV to monitor the braking action in the towed. The Ready Brake has a micro switch to do this, but I think it is better to tie into the towed brake light circuit. This indicates to you that the system is braking and releasing properly.

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
The cable kit - this is the one that runs from the brake pedal to the bumper?

Safety cables(2) that go from the front of the car to the hitch. The NSA supplied cables are nice and easy to use. Should be included with the tow bar.

A locking hitch pin

Spare clevis pins, I've set mine on the bumper and driven off. Luckily they stayed there, but someday...

I would consider having the towd lights wired in and a 4 pin receptacle added to the baseplate.

We got a HF soft sided tool tote to hold the cables, pins and a pair of work gloves. It's sturdy enough to support one towbar arm while you connect the other

Norm
F1BNorm

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^ "ReadyStop" set-up, to go along with ReadyBrute surge brake. You do realize you need to run a cable from the brake pedal thru the engine compartment to connect to the ReadyBrute, right? Second cable routed similarly for Ready Stop...
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Viewfinder
Explorer
Explorer
Break-away switch? Most important part of any setup.
jim

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 7 to 4 pin adapter, have already run wires thru jeep, out door under hood and thru grill. Determined I need a 5/6 foot extension to connect. Idea is to be able to pull wires off, so I don't do anything to wife's Toy. 15 years old, 80k miles garage kept. She did drive thru a puddle one time, but I had to wash it afterward.
Bob & Lynn

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Make sure the MH is set up four a four wire connector for the magnetic lights and not a seven pin with separate turn signals.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Well, let's see...
Towbar? Check.
Base Plate? Check.
Braking system? Check.
Cable for braking system? Check.
Lighting system? Check.

How about the wiring and connector for the lights?
How do you plan to run the lighting wires? I would recommend installing the 4 conductor cable permanently, with a connector at the grill of the Jeep, run the cable under the hood, through the firewall, along the OEM wire bundle on the left side of the body, and terminate it with another connector just inside the tailgate, where the magnetic light wiring can plug into it.
Actually, what I did was exactly as I have described, except when I got the wire harness to right beside the driver's seat, I cut into the wire bundle there, found the left turn, right turn, and tail light wires, cut them, installed a four pin connector, and terminated the towing wire harness with a four pin connector to match the one on the vehicle light wires. I just unplug the connector in the OEM wire bundle, and connect the towing harness to the tail lights. If you want to, you can install a 9 pole double throw switch and forget about the extra connectors. The wires to the lights go on the center three posts, the towing harness to the three connectors on one side of the switch and the vehicle feed wires to the other three connectors. When I have used such a switch, I put the left turn wires on the left side of the switch, the right turn wires on the right side of the switch, and the taillight wires on the center three terminals. Mount the switch for your convenience. I used an aircraft style switch guard, so that the guard closed was normal, and the guard open was towing.
Have fun.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"