Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator LP Use

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the generator which will come with our Lance is this:

Onan 2500

Just wonder how often I will be refilling the lp tanks.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos
12 REPLIES 12

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how much they improve the cylinders storage on new Lance?
My 2002 model has double 7.5 gal cylinders, but they have no gauges on them and the slide-tray is poorly mounted, so with short hose it is quite a challenge to pull inner cylinder and you have to disconnect the hose.
My 2002 Fleetwood has double horizontal cylinders with gauges and mounted side-by side, so pulling them is way easier.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m looking forward to seeing your new camper...

Iโ€™d buy a new Lance if they made one with the exact same floor plan as the one we have

Chet
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was just wondering how often I was going to have to refill the tanks. They are difficult to change out in our old Lance, should be easier in the new one.

Yep, still jeepin and still campin.
Wake Up America

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I also have solar panels

I do not run the AC with solar
I do not run the generator with solar
And I do not heat water with solar

I do run lights, tv, stereo, computers,, 110 outlets and charge 12 VDC batteries with solar when possible

Propane is a very clean fuel for RVโ€™s and easy to store... I donโ€™t find Itโ€™s price fluctuations are near as bad as diesel or gasoline. When you travel for months at a time you will notice the difference.

Brad... I think that you will find that you wonโ€™t worry about the amount of propane that you will use... itโ€™s benifit far outweighs its cost and itโ€™s ease of use.

Good to see that you are still camping.

Chet
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, two five gallon l.p. tanks. The generator will definitely be for occasional use only.
Wake Up America

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sleepy nice to see you! I think you have some solar if I remember correctly!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a Generac 36LP since 2003... and have used it an the camper for 1318 nights. Never stayed in campgrounds.

My camper uses LP gas for the 6 cuft refrigerator, for hot water, and the generator. In hot weather we run the generator 24/7 when necessary.

I have two 30lb propane bottles. We have never had to fill them more often than every three weeks.

This information is accurate... no guessing or speculating.

Note: i would never use gasoline in a built in generator

Of course Iโ€™d never use gasoline in my truck.... I have a diesel truck.

I have no need to haul and store gasoline.

Sleepy

Rocknita
Explorer
Explorer
If heโ€™s getting a late model Lance then itโ€™s the 5 gal 20lb removable tanks. The smaller models get one tank and the larger floor plans get two. You can swap them out at a lot of places but they donโ€™t seem to fill them up to there rated capacity. Also I would rather keep my tanks as a lot of the tanks you get are older.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Propane is fine for occasional use . I am curious , fixed tank or portable !

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I sure would not want an LP generator--hard to find a place sometimes to get a fixed tank refilled.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the reply.

I also found this (see page 23). About .4 gal/hr under 50% load.

Onan Info

Fuel Consumption
LP, Gal/hr
2.5 kW/60Hz
No load 0.3
1/2 load 0.4
Full load 0.6

I think our EU2000i uses about .3 gal/hr at full load. That matches up to what you posted, LP use rate is about 2 times gas use rate.

The new generator won't see much all-day use. I'm think it will mainly get used for keeping the dog cool while we are in a restaurant or walmart. It will also get used when we pull over to sleep a few hours while travelling.

Thanks,
Brad
Wake Up America

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Propane not only has less energy than gasoline, but also propane carburetors are less advanced than those running with gasoline.
Meaning usual records are about twice the use of propane comparing to gasoline.
Or about one 7.5 gallons cylinder per day of AC use.
Maybe Onan improved the design in new generators, so post your experience once you get it?