cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ExxonMobil Synergy Diesel Efficient

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Has anyone run ExxonMobil next generation diesel fuel? They claim it improves fuel economy, reduces emissions and runs cleaner, and keeps injectors clean.

I've run a couple of tanks of this fuel not paying attention to the fuel economy, but I did notice a decrease in regen frequency which means it should improve fuel economy. Because of the improvement in miles between regens I decided to look at ExxonMobils website to see if there is something special with their diesel fuel and low and behold there appears to be a new gen diesel fuel being phased in.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
61 REPLIES 61

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
Can any diesel use this fuel?

chevman

Sรญ Seรฑor!
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Can any diesel use this fuel?

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Retired JSO wrote:
So if you want to do anything, buy whatโ€™s cheap and pour in a cup of your favorite shelf bought additive.

I'll pass on the off the shelf additives that don't improve fuel mileage and is a pain to deal with. Instead I will fuel up at my local Exxon/Mobil station that is the same price as the Shell station near by.

Exactly! Why go through the hassle of adding an additive if the price of this fuel is the same. On that note, I just found an Exxon store not too far from my house selling Synergy diesel at $2.71 which is really low for my area.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Retired JSO wrote:
So if you want to do anything, buy whatโ€™s cheap and pour in a cup of your favorite shelf bought additive.

I'll pass on the off the shelf additives that don't improve fuel mileage and is a pain to deal with. Instead I will fuel up at my local Exxon/Mobil station that is the same price as the Shell station near by.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Copperhead wrote:
I might have missed where someone else hit this point, but diesel at all locations in the same geographical area comes from the same fuel terminal. And that comes from a variety of refineries. The only difference is when the fuel is loaded on the tanker, the station that it is going to can specify some additional additives. It really is that simple.

The key to getting the best results from diesel is to buy from high volume, reliable retail locations. I go thru about 21,000 gallons of diesel a year for my various needs, and this is my main focus on where to buy my fuel. I am brand loyal to no one, and the marketing hype doesn't phase me a bit.

I am not sure how true this is at least for my location. The local Exxon Mobil delivery fleet was one of my customers back when I was a territory manager. The terminal is located here (LINK). This fuel was the only terminal Exxon fuel stations in the area got their fuel and some other non branded stores as well. If the Exxon branded stations got their fuel from any other non-Exxon terminals then they could not advertise that they were Exxon-Mobil from what I was told by my customer who was the fleet manager of that terminal.

This terminal a short distance away (LINK) delivers to most of the generic stations. Then there is the Motiva terminal that supplies fuel to all of the Mid-Tex locations(LINK).

All of the Valero stores in this area get their fuel at this(LINK) Nu-Star terminal unless something has changed in the last several years. Nu-Star was owned by Valero at one time. They separated, but still work together.

I don't know how it is where you guys come from, but here they don't all share the same terminals.

Most of the diesel fuel consumed in the United States is produced in U.S. refineries
U.S. refineries produce most of the diesel fuel that the United States consumes. In 2017, imports of ultra-low sulfur distillate (ULSD) fuel oil, which is distillate fuel with a sulfur content of 15 parts per million or less, were equivalent to about 3% of total ULSD consumption in the United States. About 80% of those imports were from Canada. ULSD is sold as diesel fuel and heating oil in the United States.

How does diesel fuel get to a refueling station?
Most diesel fuel moves by pipeline from refineries and ports to terminals near major consuming areas. Barges and trains also move diesel fuel to terminals. Trucks transport the diesel fuel from the terminals to retail service stations and to large volume consumers such as vehicle fleet operators.

Diesel fuel and other products are sent through shared pipelines in batches. These batches are not physically separated in pipelines, and some mixing or commingling of products may occur. Because mixing is possible, the quality of the diesel fuel and other products must be tested to make sure they meet required specifications as they enter and leave pipelines. When products fail to meet local, state, or federal specifications, they are either removed and trucked back to a refinery for further processing or they are sold as different products.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Copperhead wrote:
I might have missed where someone else hit this point, but diesel at all locations in the same geographical area comes from the same fuel terminal. And that comes from a variety of refineries. The only difference is when the fuel is loaded on the tanker, the station that it is going to can specify some additional additives. It really is that simple.

The key to getting the best results from diesel is to buy from high volume, reliable retail locations. I go thru about 21,000 gallons of diesel a year for my various needs, and this is my main focus on where to buy my fuel. I am brand loyal to no one, and the marketing hype doesn't phase me a bit.

I am not sure how true this is at least for my location. The local Exxon Mobil delivery fleet was one of my customers back when I was a territory manager. The terminal is located here (LINK). This fuel was the only terminal Exxon fuel stations in the area got their fuel and some other non branded stores as well. If the Exxon branded stations got their fuel from any other non-Exxon terminals then they could not advertise that they were Exxon-Mobil from what I was told by my customer who was the fleet manager of that terminal.

This terminal a short distance away (LINK) delivers to most of the generic stations. Then there is the Motiva terminal that supplies fuel to all of the Mid-Tex locations(LINK).

All of the Valero stores in this area get their fuel at this(LINK) Nu-Star terminal unless something has changed in the last several years. Nu-Star was owned by Valero at one time. They separated, but still work together.

I don't know how it is where you guys come from, but here they don't all share the same terminals.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
I have been using it for the last two tanks in my car.

IDK the answer to this question, but is there a winter/summer blend?

Did you see a difference this time last year?

I used to keep track of fuel usage like that, but it was so overly dependent on my widely varying driving conditions, and didn't really tell me anything anyway.

No, the highest mpg I got before these two tanks was 45.7 mpg and that was due to a mostly highway trip from San Antonio to Houston and back. I generally don't get above 44 mpg unless it is a long trip that is mostly highway.

This car mainly goes to work and back down the same roads every day and I very seldom use it on the weekends. If I do use it on the weekends then it is usually less than 25 miles. So there is not that much of a variance in the driving patterns between my average 43 mpg on other fuel brands and 46.5 mpg on this Synergy fuel.

My truck on the other hand has way to many variables in driving conditions. I plan on labeling this fuel as Synergy instead of #2 diesel in my app just like I did with deleted and stock so I can average out the changes.

Maybe you should start keeping track again and see if there is any average changes in yours.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t let this **** go to your head. Most all fuels in the US are shipped from the refinery via pipeline. Additives are added to the truck load depending on the station of delivery. So if you want to do anything, buy whatโ€™s cheap and pour in a cup of your favorite shelf bought additive.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:
I have been using it for the last two tanks in my car.

IDK the answer to this question, but is there a winter/summer blend?

Did you see a difference this time last year?

I used to keep track of fuel usage like that, but it was so overly dependent on my widely varying driving conditions, and didn't really tell me anything anyway.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

I think it is safe to say I will probably be using this fuel from this point on. I can't wait to get my truck back and see how much of an increase it will have. The 8% increase this fuel gave me in my car is about a 1 mpg increase in my truck.

When did you start using the better and more expensive fuel?

I have been using it for the last two tanks in my car. Normally I get 43 mpg if I drive it to work and back only(about 40% city/60% highway), around 41-42 mpg if I do more city driving on the weekends, and around 45 mpg if the tank was 90% highway.

The 46.6 mpg I got on the first tank was strictly work and back where I usually get @ 43 mpg. The 46.5 mpg I got on the second tank was moslty work and back with a little more city driving than normal due the wife and I shopping this weekend, and would usually get @ 42-43 mpg.

Also, the fuel was not more expensive at all. If you look at the $2.87 per gallon costs on the picture I posted, that is the average price for diesel in the New Bruanfels, Tx area on Gasbuddy.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:

I think it is safe to say I will probably be using this fuel from this point on. I can't wait to get my truck back and see how much of an increase it will have. The 8% increase this fuel gave me in my car is about a 1 mpg increase in my truck.

When did you start using the better and more expensive fuel?

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Just filled up the car again this morning. Did a little more city driving than usual this past weekend, but it did not change the results much.

Computer stated 49.0 mpg just like last time, but got 46.5 mpg hand calculated.

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
44.4 and computer 46.3

Unless the weather has changed, and then it will be slightly lower.

My DMax was down 5% with the colder weather we were having.

Your computer mileage was close to my hand calculated.

Hand calculated: 46.6 mpg (+7% from 43.5 mpg)
Computer: 49.0 mpg

I fulled up with the same fuel again to see if it can be repeated.

For these who may say that the higher cost of the fuel may negate the added mileage..... One, the cost was $2.95 per gallon which as average for my region. Secondly, with a cost of $2.95, other diesel brands would have to be $.20 lower at $2.75 per gallon to have the same cost per mile so even if this Synergy fuel was $.10 higher then it would still be worth it with my mileage numbers.

Good to see some real data Shiner. I've seen a ~3-5% increase depending if I regen or not. Also I've noticed less regens too. I don't have enough data sets to be statistically significant, but eventually I'll be there.

Hopefully my truck will be done and out of the shop next week so I can see how much of a difference would be in that.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD