Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Annual clean/wax/seal
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Annual clean/wax/seal

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I full time and migrate. So I do a full wash and wax... LAST WEEK 2 times a year (Just before migration)
So Week before last I washed it stem to stern and back (or was it the other way around)

Then it rained (Always after you wash your ride)
Then came Sunday and I sang in the church choir.
Monday I waxed front cap and driver's side
Tuesday was the rest of the ride
Wed is grocery etc shopping 20 miles down the road
Thu was Holy Thursday Service (I sang)
Friday .. Church again for more singing
Sat.. You guessed it Easter Vigil Service
Sun Easter Services
Mon: On the road agin (migrating back to Michigan)
Currently sitting in a Denny's (#8577) Knoxvill TN

Time for bed

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvshrinker wrote:

The instruction manual speaks of fiberglass, not sure if that's just the roof or sides as well. Outdoors RV 2018 MY. They confirmed to use Dicor for the roof seams as needed but looks pretty good to me. A few spots on the sides are a little thin and for that they said to use geocel/proflex if that helps.

Do you know what fiberglass or filon looks like? Hard and shiny like paint. Wax this with whatever your favorite wax is.
Is the roof fiberglass or rubber/epdm? Most RVs have rubber/epdm roofs, no wax this.

If you want to get fancy, the newer ceramic coatings are supposed to last years, but a cover is cheaper and easier if you're a weekend warrior.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wash, polish, and wax your RV will double trade in value /sarcasm

Inspect yes, but that's a lot of work for very little value. One think I might consider is a rubber roof sealant, but most issues don't come from the rubber roof, but instead seem to come from aging dicor or rtv.

WTW

Lakeland

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nu-finish is my choice on cars boats and campers. See demo on YouTube. Works nicely on all my Florida toys.

Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

Lexx

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm Zep is meant for interior floors right? Will it yellow when exposed to harsh uv rays over time?

2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Inspect yes, but that's a lot of work for very little value. One think I might consider is a rubber roof sealant, but most issues don't come from the rubber roof, but instead seem to come from aging dicor or rtv.

Wish,wax,polish is not about trade in value. It’s about pride in ownership! And yes detailing will get you up close and find little things that you may not normally discover.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Addy15

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

philh wrote:

Wish,wax,polish is not about trade in value. It’s about pride in ownership! And yes detailing will get you up close and find little things that you may not normally discover.

Yes, pride in ownership, but also trade value.

We wash pretty much every time we use our trailer. It gets waxed three times a season -- once when we bring it home from storage; once mid-season; and again right before bringing it to winter storage.

You can be as sarcastic as you want philh, but we received about $1,000 OVER blue book high retail value when we traded in our last trailer which had been taken care of the same way...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvshrinker wrote:

The instruction manual speaks of fiberglass, not sure if that's just the roof or sides as well. Outdoors RV 2018 MY. They confirmed to use Dicor for the roof seams as needed but looks pretty good to me. A few spots on the sides are a little thin and for that they said to use geocel/proflex if that helps.

Yup. Don't touch the roof unless it's grungy, then just wash it. Soap and water. Touch up any roof penetrations that may need it, but not likely any do being that new.
The sides? Wash and wax it like a car. Nothing special here. Go to Autozone, hit the car care products aisle, close your eyes, grab one and use it.
Keeping your trailer in great shape is more about keeping it out of the elements when it's not being used than anything. AND it'll cut down alot of cleaning and repairs.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lexx wrote:

Hmmm Zep is meant for interior floors right? Will it yellow when exposed to harsh uv rays over time?

Maybe eventually but I am on 3 years with only adding a touch up coat each year or so and there is no sign of yellowing that I can see. Stripping the old ZEP and starting over would still take less work than washing and rubbing on the usual wax coatings.

ZEP does not contain any UV protectants. I am not sure if that matters or if traditional wax finishes contain any or enough to make a difference. I have heard that some owners apply Aerospace 303 protectant and then apply ZEP or other coatings. That does not seem necessary. The chalky oxidation seems to occur due to exposure to air and not due to UV rays.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Annual clean/wax/seal
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.