Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Annual clean/wax/seal
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Annual clean/wax/seal

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/18 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are planing on re-sealing the roof, re-caulking and such I'd start by mopping the roof (do not wax EVER) then do the re-caulk, Mop it again then wash and wax the sides as you would a new car.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

slider45

GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/18 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryJM wrote:

ScottG wrote:

I use Mequires on the whole rig including the graphics but don't rub it in aggressively on the latter.

I also have been using Meguires Ultimate on entire trailer including graphics for the last 11 years twice a year w/o any issues with the graphics.

Larry

The Meguires Ultimate has been working its magic around here as well. Highly recommended.

macjom

Fl

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/18 02:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the Megs marine wax. Aside from a giving a nice shine, it provides UV protection.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/18 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WHat products do I use. Same as a car. I like Turtle Wax Ice and another one that begains with "M" Meguilers or something like that. for the Wax.

Any decent auto wash for the wash.

Spick & Span for the roof. (Do not wax roof).

John Wayne

Long Beach, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/18 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to cut down your wax time make it look better and make the wax go further. Go to Harbor Freight and buy their dual action polisher. And don't for get your 20% off coupon. Watch a few you tube videos one guy even uses the Harbor Freight unit. You will not be sorry.

John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So many options, I'm overwhelmed. Why are some of you saying not to wax the roof?

What about Meguiars flagship marine wax?

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvshrinker wrote:

So many options, I'm overwhelmed. Why are some of you saying not to wax the roof?

It depends on the type of roof. Mine is aluminum and waxing would do no harm and perhaps add some longevity. I would not put wax on a rubber roof. The wax is not designed for rubber and might actually degrade it.

I tried Meguiars flagship marine wax. I got a blotchy looking appearance instead of a nice shine. So I went for another coat. And then another. It took over a day's work and the results were poor. At that point I got wax stripper and spent hours more removing the Meguires. I applied 3 coats of ZEP acrylic floor finish. The application was simple, just wipe on a light coat. It is supposed to dry 30 minutes before reapplying and that was about the time it took me to complete an application before starting the next coat.

The results with ZEP have been astounding. I used to have problems with black streaks but those do not occur with the ZEP finish. Months after applying ZEP, I took a trip for several months, returned with a bug splattered RV and left it for the winter. In the Spring, I just rinsed it with a hose. I did have to scrub off the bugs from the cap of the RV and reapply some ZEP but the rest of the RV looked like it had just been waxed. Now another year, 4 months of travel and lots of bug splatters have again occurred. I might be able to just rinse off the splatters. I will probably wipe on a fresh coat of ZEP on the whole RV. Again that will not involve any heavy work, just wiping on some new finish.

As you can tell, I highly recommend ZEP and will never return to waxes.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvshrinker wrote:

Aluminum sided, filon sides? Pretty much any wax you use will work for either and typically the more expensive and harder to buff off, the longer it lasts. However, I've basically quit hand waxing all the vehicles and toys. It's just too easy to use spray wax a little more frequently.
Regarding the roof, is it a rubber type roof? That's typical on most RVs. If so, you don't do anything to it.
Just wash and wax the RV and put a cover on it. Don't be overwhelmed.
What about the caulk, do you really have anything to repair there.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The instruction manual speaks of fiberglass, not sure if that's just the roof or sides as well. Outdoors RV 2018 MY. They confirmed to use Dicor for the roof seams as needed but looks pretty good to me. A few spots on the sides are a little thin and for that they said to use geocel/proflex if that helps.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used Dicor many times with no issues. Twice I had problems with Geocel proflex. I think the material in the tubes had started to set. It came out thick and did not seal. This happen to me twice with tubes I bought a different places.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Annual clean/wax/seal
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.