cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camco blue water filter leaking

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
I've used the blue Camco in line water filters for years with no problems. Currently been out for 6 weeks and have had two new Camco filters leak at the hose connections. I even replaced the hose to make sure it wasn't a bad hose end. I've tried replacing the washers on the filter and hose and tried Teflon tape on the male threads.

Is anyone else experiencing problems with leaking on new Camco blue in line water filters?
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss
9 REPLIES 9

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
If the filters are dropped on a hard surface like concrete, they can crack. I've seen a Walmart employee dump a whole box of them out on the floor, bouncing and such, then put them on the shelf for sale. i'm sure everyone of those leaked.

When one leaks, I just throw it away and get another. At $15 each, it isn't worth a lot of work to try to find a leak.

I've also noticed the cheaper white Camco hoses often leak from the fittings - even brand new. The metal is cheaper grade and thinner than it was four or five years ago. Tighten it too much by hand or with a wrench and it stretches and leaks. Double washers won't stop it, in fact make it worse.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
neschultz wrote:
PartyOf Five wrote:
Another thread had suggested quick disconnects on these; may help once the leaks are contained.

I started using these Gator fittings on every hose, filter, etc a few years ago. Easier to connect, never need pliers and never have leaks. The only regular fitting is the one that connects to the campground spigot.

It's not the quick disconnect that appears to be leaking, it's the connection itself on the filter. Hose or quick disconnect attachment, if it's not screwed on the filter correct, or if there is a flaw in the filter threads or a miss alignment of the way it was threaded at the factory, it doesn't matter what you attach to it, it's going to leak.

Double washers may help.

Personally, I've not had any problems with mine. Got my last ones at WalMart.

But there again, I don't put them under pressure, as I fill my fresh water tank and pump from there. I use the in-line filter when adding water to the tank. So, maybe that's my difference.

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
PartyOf Five wrote:
Another thread had suggested quick disconnects on these; may help once the leaks are contained.

I started using these Gator fittings on every hose, filter, etc a few years ago. Easier to connect, never need pliers and never have leaks. The only regular fitting is the one that connects to the campground spigot.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Juzaxadar
Explorer
Explorer
I also bought another camco double pack a month or so ago and one of them leaked at the output. However I was able to hand tighten to the point where there was no leak. I just had to make sure to get it tight. My connection is a 3" springed hose to the output (preventing the weight of the filter from causing a kink) and a regular hose from the input to the source.

I just think they're cheap.
2000 Minnie 31C V10

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
No QA on their injection molding process, just churn those housing out in the tens of thousands, figuring who's going to complain about a $6 filter leaking.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a two pack of these filters from Amazon two weeks ago and they both leak at the output side. The one I replaced never leaked and I put it back on and no leaks. The little rubber gaskets look okay. It sounds like a bad batch of filfers.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Which end is leaking?

I've noticed that the female side of the filter tends to be manufactured incorrectly. Doubling up on the gasket worked for me one one filter. Another one just split as I was torquing it.

Look into getting a "whole house" filter housing and add hose thread fittings. Then you can just replace the media as needed without having to mess with the connections
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Some years ago I had several that cracked.