cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minneapolis to Flagstaff, AZ

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Have a dear friend who will leave Tuesday from Minneapolis heading to Flagstaff, AZ. He will be on a new to him motorcycle and is a very experienced rider.

The map things take him all down interstates into NE, KS, etc.

I would like to see him come over thru Denver to exit 195, down 91 to Leadville, 24 to 285 to 112 to 160/491 to 89 to Flag.

See the gold in the mountains.

He is used to riding 500 miles per day without issue.

Any thoughts before I go back to him? He flies out Monday to Minneapolis.

(Also, we are in Buena Vista in an RV park and would like quick cup of coffee).

Thanks.

Lauren
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

5 REPLIES 5

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
He needs to go to Montrose CO and take the 550 south to Durango. It's the Million Dollar Highway and is one of the best motorcycle roads in the west.

X2

I wish while we were still riding we would've done that section of CO! 😞

Dan

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.

He leaves Tues am and has three days to do it. 500 miles a day is his usual so not sightseeing as such. I told him I would buy coffee if he comes thru Buena Vista.

I have driven and also photographed Million Dollar many times. In fact we will in Ouray once again (8th time) on Sept 6th for 9 days. I just did not know some of the roads from Denver down.

He sold his Harley and BMW bikes and bought this used one up there where he came from in MN. Don't know what kind he got.

Oh, he is my 64 year old very good friend and pastor!

Lauren
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
He needs to go to Montrose CO and take the 550 south to Durango. It's the Million Dollar Highway and is one of the best motorcycle roads in the west.

One warning: I rode Grand Junction to Durango twice a week over Red Mountain, Molas, and Coal Bank passes on a motorcycle from May to Oct. Even in August it can snow on the top of the passes. Watch the clouds from the valley and if you see the pass covered in clouds put on winter driving gear and be prepared to turn around. Motorcycles and snow/ice do not mix, even rain on Red Mountain can be tricky.
Turret Class traveler

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
Have a dear friend who will leave Tuesday from Minneapolis heading to Flagstaff, AZ. He will be on a new to him motorcycle and is a very experienced rider.

The map things take him all down interstates into NE, KS, etc.

I would like to see him come over thru Denver to exit 195, down 91 to Leadville, 24 to 285 to 112 to 160/491 to 89 to Flag.

See the gold in the mountains.

He is used to riding 500 miles per day without issue.

Any thoughts before I go back to him? He flies out Monday to Minneapolis.

(Also, we are in Buena Vista in an RV park and would like quick cup of coffee).

Thanks.

Lauren

Lauren,

My Bing MAP

Add or subtract as you wish - but remember he is on just Two Wheels and can go almost anywhere.

Denver to Rt 58 to Rt 6 - this will take him up Clear Creek Canyon through the 6 Tunnels and on to Idaho Springs and I-70 then he can head on to RT 91 heading to Buena Vista OR Option one RT 6 over the continental divide MotorCycle makes this a Smart/Fun Option ... Rt 91 to Leadville If he has time and energy he might stop for coffee then do RT 82 to THe Bells then Rt 133 down to Montrose With a quick stop in Redstone and Marble - ? - or As Mapped on to Gunnison and then Montrose .........Just so Many Great Options Too Bad Cottonwood Pass is Closed or he could take it to Crested Butte.

OK now we are in Montrose on to Ouray RT 550 to Silverton and on to Durango - Now On to Mesa Verde for a quick drive through as we head to Goosenecks/Mexican Hat/Monument Valley - last little side route is my Favorite Canyon de Chelly before finishing in Flagstaff.

The maps should help - you can zoom in to see exit number if needed - or do Satellite view to see what's there.

As is usually the case YOU are in the Middle of all the Aspen Beauty in September - Hope this is of some help.

Enjoy the Aspen,

Bill
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE