Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Soooo Tell Me About Quartzsite
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

Open Roads Forum  >  Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

> Soooo Tell Me About Quartzsite

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast - Winter in AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/18 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And after you have visited the big RV tent, don’t pass up on browsing through the huge Tyson Wells flea market!

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/18 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually get there around Thanksgiving and might run the AC some afternoons. The Q sits just west of the plamosa mountains and isn't much different than other places in the desert. One person sees the desert as a gravel pit and the next person loves it. It's not what I would consider touristy. It has WW2 history because it was a training area. There are air navigation markers in the desert and a memorial to the man who worked with the military on their training of camels.

If you have a Jeep or ATV it's a great place and the riding goes far and wide. The Arizona Peace Trail cuts through Bouse to the east.

There are several areas to camp. I have camped at a free area on Plamosa Rd about 4 miles north of town. It runs along both sides of the road out to mile marker 3.

There is a small amount of flea market stuff when we get there but it really starts filling up in December. I've never been to the big RV show but have been on Plamosa Rd during that time and there are a ton of people but always room for one more.

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/18 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

We went twice in one visit; first and last.

Joking aside, I agree everyone should see it. It’s a spectacle. Very dusty, not a blade f grass. Our eastern spoiled dogs were disgusted. Nice folks. Some deals. Definetly go for the RV show.

My in laws Montana friends wintered there for many years. They hated FLORIDA so to each their own.

I know what you mean. Our dogs also want to eat grass so we take them to the dog park.

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/18 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

We have never been. We would like to go this year since we have Red and the S&S back. We can do a long weekend there...Thursday to Sunday.

Can you see most of it in a couple days?

When is the best time to go?

Where is the best places to stay?

What's the weather like there then (boondocking, no AC)?

You won't be alone. There are usually several hundred thousand RV's there through or at least part of the winter. As others have said I would go when the RV show and the big tent is there. There is a bar/restaurant in the hills that is kind of neat and fully self contained as to power, etc. You can stay in some BLM campgrounds for up to around 14 days for free. Those that stay the entire winter usually pay about $180 for the winter. It is desert, no hookups, no water, no sewer, etc. You just find a place in the desert and camp. The town of Quartzsite does have all the amenities and there are mobile water and sewer trucks that service the campers for a fee. For just a long weekend you probably will not need much to be self contained. The nights can be quite cool and the days are usually very mild. Expect some wind. Take your mountain bikes or quads and go riding. The area is huge and lots of desert to ride in. There is a lot of information on the internet on Quartzsite. Many RV owners groups meet there. The attendance is huge. So, As I said, you won't be alone.

* This post was edited 08/26/18 10:57pm by jmtandem *

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/18 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bring a hobby with you. Flea markets are good for a day or two max.
Amazon has better prices on most of the stuff.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/18 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We like the desert and Q is that. The Big Tent is a cool hour of exploring. The big flea market next to the Big Tent has a lot of stuff and at good prices. There is one tool seller there who has some good stuff at really great prices. There are flea markets from the West side of town down the North side of main street.

If you like country music there is Beer Bellys adult day care center adjacent to the north side of the Big Tent.

The QIA has a Big gem and mineral show and Thursday night of the RV show openibg they sponser a concert by The New Christy Minstrals, whose first but not last .hit was Green, Green.

There are RV dealers from one end of town to the other and we did see some good prices. Basically it is a good excuse to spend a few days in the RV along with thousands of like minded, potential new friends. Camping is better than working.

We like High Jolly BLM area. It is a free BLM area with a 14 day limit.

We have explored the Blouse area and an old copper mining area, the Wiley's Well rockhounding area and the Colorado River area up to Parker and London Bridge.

We also drive around the various BLM camping areas to see if we know ant of the close to one million RVers camping that week.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/18 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you like desert it will offer you a bucket full. I don't care for quartzsite at all. if you want to be in a park and have full hook ups make a reservation now. too many old people, but then so is Yuma

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/18 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like others have said, not much to do or see, but what an experience! However, the night sky is like no other. That alone is worth the trip.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/18 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool, thanks for all the info. It looks like we are going to go around the 24th of January to catch the RV show and flea market. At least that's the plan for now.....

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/18 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a small shop vac with brush to aid in cleaning up all the dust and dirt.

Dust rags, too.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

> Soooo Tell Me About Quartzsite
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.