cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roaming and boondocking in Mexico

Roadlover
Explorer
Explorer
This coming winter we would like to travel into Mexico and possibly do some boondocking, but also hear of the violence in various areas. Are there areas that are safe to cross the boarder, go camping and even boondock? We travel in an AF 1150. Thanks
"The Journey is the Destination"

2015 GMC Denali 3500 DRW Duramax/Allison
TorkLift Talon Tiedowns, StableLoads and FastGuns with Locks

2012 Arctic Fox 1150 with Dry Bath with Fox Landing and Wobble Stoppers
30 REPLIES 30

Talleyho69
We have boondocked in Mexico frequently and never had other than an great experience.

The same can be said for the few state and national parks here. Just like the US, we have never visited a state or national park that wasn't absolutely wonderful.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Living close to the border (just south of Monterrey), we have boondocked all over the northern states. Nuevo Leon has some great state parks as well as the state of Chihuahua. We are slowly venturing back into Tamaulipas after years of missing it and the eastern coast of the state.

Boondocking is great in Mexico. Not many restrictions and after 19 years boondocking here we can say we have had no issues.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I have Polish young friends, who just few years ago flew with 1-year old baby to California, bought 2WD Toyota RAV 4 and drove it all the way to Equador. They slept in tent not seeking campgrounds.
Seems the white head baby made them friends everywhere with Spanish people, but they had the trip of their life and all excelent memories.
All on limited budget.

That is impressive!

That would put them in the record books as the first in history to drive the Darien Gap!

Folks that make that trip generally drive to Panama then go by boat to Columbia and continue the drive from there.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
Check out!

Trent & Allie and there dog Frank on YOU TUBE.
They have been traveling a couple months know in Mexico and know are heading to Central America. This would get any one excited about traveling South of the border.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're on the right track to reserve the right to where you choose to face the danger,....in the USA or Mexico,......since danger is potentially everywhere.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
We did eight winters in Mexico, only the final one without boondocking most of the time. We did hear from close friends who had been near scurmishes, and were quite shaken by them. But never for ourselves, we had been a bit on edge a couple of times driving to and from destinations. That's about it. Loved the warm weather and the warm waters found 900 miles south,and beyond. Loved the people, got to know some around our usual spot, 1200 miles south on the Pacific mainland, would never camp out near a border, always made substantial "tracks" right after the border crossing. We have stayed short durations in All-Inclusives, just to visit with fly-in friends enjoying short trips, themselves. But always could hardly wait to get back to "our" beach! No electricity, nobody running a generator, just enjoying, percolating coffee outside while dawn breaks, Bike rides through a farmer's fields to a tiny, out of the way, restaurent for breaKfast, followed by swims around the coral, showers in our shower tent once the sun had warmed the garapfons, a cold Dos Equis from the fridge, friends congregating along the beach, birthdays, Christmas dinners (measure the turkey to fit in someone's fridge) New Years'Eve festivities, having the Launder Man pick up clothes and have them look like new when returned the next day, once a week shopping in a nearby town, greeting the Beer truck for the two new boxes of beer brought to the doorand exchanged, or the man with the water truck for the exchaange of garafons (5 gallon jugs) of water, washing the 4X down near the river and exploring the countryside's backroads with a couple of other vehicles from the beach. To pay for this was a donation of 5 dollars a day and the must do job of removing the blackwater away, placed judiciously near an area where the cattle roamed and into the coco palms - a small price to enjoy the paradise for the winter. We could stay there forever, but for the heat that beat us out, about the first day in March. Gone to higher ground to again enjoy the cooler interior magic of Mexico, this time in a campground balanerio (hot spring). Almost 2 years of our lives, fully enjoyed!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are problems within about 50 miles of the border. There are problems in some towns and provinces due to the drug trade. You can get a lot of good info from the State Dept.
How is your Spanish? Do you understand the culture there?
The odds are not good in some places. I am considering a trip to Baja by truck which is one of the safest places in the country. Keep your wits about you. Bueno suarte.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from Truck Campers
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from roaming the complete length of the Baja Pennisula no problems, mostly boondocked but did stay at Baja Sunrise RV park on the southern tip.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from Mexico and spent 4 months there driving around boondocking etc.

All told I have probably spent over 2 years in Mexico with a truck camper.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Several posters reference Baja. My perception is that is quite different than the miles and miles of border of Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
Go too www.borderland beat.com and see if you still want to do this!

ykphil
Explorer
Explorer
Did you eventually travel to Mexico? I've been boondocking there for months on end in the winter, since several years. I came back (limping after a major mechanical failure) from there a week ago, and I am already planning our next road trip in October. Over the years, we camped in every single state except Tamaulipas and Veracruz and never had any issue whatsover, on the contrary. PM me if you need practical info. on insurance, vehicle permits (TIP), tourist card formalities, etc. As for truck campers, Mexico has recently been refusing to issue a TIP to any foreign-plated vehicle with a GVWR over 7715 lbs -they consider them as commercial vehicles, unless they show as an RV on the title or registration certificate. We were able to get an exemption for our F350 after submitting photos of our camper on the truck but it was not easy to convince the authorities.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing. If you have collision and/or comprehensive insurance, neither one is usually valid in Mexico. Sometimes your insurance company will have it as an additional-cost option. The Mexican insurance someone mentioned that you are LEGALLY REQUIRED to buy from a Mexican Insurance Company is just liability insurance.

Something to keep in mind, especially if a bank financed your truck or camper and requires you to have them.

Oh, and as to whether or not a road service plan like CoachNet or Good Sam works in Mexico, I have no idea, but you might want to check on that if you have one.