cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long have you had your current RV?

Sinton4616
Explorer
Explorer
I was watching videos today on RV buying. One interesting comment was "the average person keeps their RV for 2.5 years." Struck me as kind of odd since we had our for 10+ years before a hurricane destroyed it.

So, how long have you had your current RV?
2018 F350 6.7L DRW 4WD 3.55 with 5,490lbs CC "little yellow sticker"
B&W 20K Companion Hitch
2018 Keystone Avalanche 321RS
Destroyed by Hurricane Harvey: 2006 Fleetwood Prowler 3102BDS
118 REPLIES 118

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bought it in 2010 when it was 10 yrs old. Still fulltiming in it since 2011. So we have had it 8 yrs with no plans to replace it anytime soon. We will update it though.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
11 years, no plans for changing. Surprised at how long many keep their Rv's , I would have thought much shorter .

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Second RV = Gas Engine A Class had it from new in March 2003 = 15 years. First was a fifth wheel for 3 years.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
RRTom wrote:
Current 10 days
Prior 9 years

From looking at the answers here, maybe if those who sold quickly had visited these forums they would have found answers, solutions, tips that would have helped them enjoy the RV lifestyle more. Just my thought.

How true that is!

But maybe more importantly: From research in these forums maybe prospective buyers out shopping for a new RV would become aware of the design and construction deficiencies they are seeing in certain new models ... and then describe to the dealer what design and construction deficiencies are causing them to walk away.

Over time, these actions by prospective buyers would begin to serve as powerful feedback - first to the dealers - and then of course back up the chain to the manufacturers. This powerful feedback to manufacturers originating from prospective customers who rejected poor design and construction practices would of course dramatically drive the manufacturers to improve their practices.

Without employing the ultimate communication and walk-away tactics above ... new RV purchasers will continue to deserve what they're getting. We need to vote with our mouths first, and then our walk-away feet.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
Current 10 days
Prior 9 years

From looking at the answers here, maybe if those who sold quickly had visited these forums they would have found answers, solutions, tips that would have helped them enjoy the RV lifestyle more. Just my thought.
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

tewitt1949
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our first trailer we bought used and kept it 2 years. Then we bought a new trailer in 1996 and still have it. 23 yrs old. Still use it.
Terry Witt

daireemt
Explorer
Explorer
Have had it 11 years. Weโ€™re tired but not retired, so wont be able to use it so much as to wear it out anytime soon..........
Daireemt--"I thought it would take longer to get old."
Dear Wife of 37.5 years
2004.5 Chevy Duramax
2007 Jayco 28.5 RLS

MuleBrand
Explorer
Explorer
7 years for this Class C and 8 years for our previous 5th wheel.
David and Pam
2011 Itasca Impulse

soulman327
Explorer
Explorer
Tough to say since next week we are trading in our TT which we have had 3 weeks short of 6 years for a Class C MH.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
The shortest time period was 1 year. Bought a new Gulfstream Streamlite (ultralight) in 03 and did not like the spongy floors. I traded off the trailer after one trip. I traded it in on new 04 Cherokee TH that I still own. So the longest (so far) is 14 years and counting.

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
Previous MH for 10 years, 70,000 miles--current MH 2 years, 19,000 mi.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
126 days

Almost as good as the person who had theirs 27 years!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
We bought ours new around 12 1/2 years ago and it now has over 71K miles on it.

It's layout, construction, characteristics, drivability, and features can't be duplicated today, so we plan to keep on going with it ... why part with perfection.

That's why we're keeping ours too!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
126 days
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)