cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Potluck ideas?

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
We are doing a BBQ potluck with ex-co-workers, burgers & hotdogs.

Looking for ideas for a couple of potluck items to make while camping, something not to difficult, but unique. Not looking to bake but do have crockpot.

Thoughts?

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie
21 REPLIES 21

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver2 wrote:
Jalapeno Jam-- in a large pot pour in a gallon jar of sliced pickled Jalapenos (I chop them fine but you can just use them as they come), add one pack of lemon Kool Aide, add 2 quarts + or - of sugar, boil in pot until sugar melts and begins to thicken. 15-20 minutes depending on amount of liquid in Jalapeno jar, be careful not to let it get to thick or you will have jalapeno rock candy. Generally when it starts to sheet off of a spoon it is thick enough to be like jam when cooled in a refrigerator. Let it cool,then put it in the refrigerator to thicken and serve with cream cheese and crackers.
My wife made a variation on this and it goes on everything.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Quick potluck setup. Warm up pre-cooked frozen wings per instructions and throw those baby's in the crock pot. Maybe add a little sauce of your choice to them. Who doesn't like wings?
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Pumpkin Poke Cake
Heat oven to 350 degrees & spray bottom & sides of 9x13 pan.
In large bowl beat with electric mixer medium speed for 2 minutes:
1 yellow (or Spice) Betty Crocker Super Moist cake mix
1 cup canned pumpkin. (Not pumpkin pie mix)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 tsp. Pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
Scrape bowl occasionally then pour into pan. Bake 28 - 33 minutes. Test center with toothpick to assure itโ€™s done. Remove from oven, place pan on cooling rack and begin poking holes all over top of hot cake, using wooden spoon handle. While cake is warm, gently spread with 12 ounce jar Caramel sauce & reserve a small amount for top. Work back and forth to fill holes. Some filling remains on top of cake. Refrigerate 2 hours. When ready to serve, Spread with tub of Whipped topping. Sprinkle with a little pumpkin pie spice and drizzle with rest of caramel sauce. Too Good !

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
Corn Pudding is a favorite. Itโ€™s great with BBQ, ham, steak, hamburgers, etc.

CORN PUDDING
Preheat oven 325 degrees
1 box Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
3 eggs
1 medium onion, chopped
2 Tbsp oil
1 8 oz carton sour cream
2 cups (or more) shredded sharp cheddar; divided use
2 cans creamed corn
1 10 oz. can whole corn, well drained
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

Sautรฉ chopped onion in oil until soft, cool a bit. In a large bowl, whisk eggs well, add cornbread mix, sour cream, creamed corn and drained whole corn. Add 1 cup of the grated cheddar, the cooled onion, salt and pepper. Stir together well until all ingredients are incorporated. Transfer to a greased 8X12 or 9X13 pan. Cover with foil and bake 40-45 minutes. Uncover and top with remainder of cheese, I usually use more than a cup. Bake until firm, about 15 -20 minutes more. If you like the cheese to be gooey, uncover as per directions and wait to put the cheese on 5 or 10 minutes before you remove from oven. I have baked this in different ovens and have found baking times can really vary, just bake till firm.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
cooler corn, peel it throw it in cooler (can do a lot in a single batch) pour in boiling water close lid, wait half hour. serve (side not will stay good in cooler and hot for a good 4 or 5 hours) this is a camp gathering staple for me so much so that I have a corn cooler in the camper
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the Dutchmen's post.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Iowa? Corn on the cob for all.

shuck it, de-silk it. Then....

slather on butter
garlic salt
pepper
chili powder to taste

Wrap in 2 layers of foil, roast on BBQ for about 5 minutes, 1/4 turn and repeat
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
DeanRIowa wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:

Also, know your audience. If those participating are all mid-west farmers, they are most likely not going to like Suchi. If your participants are primary from India, they will not eat anything with meat. Know your participants and consider what the average appetite is.

Personally, I don't like beans and I don't like Mexican, and sometimes, I've left pot-lucks pretty hungry because of that.

I agree in most cases, however this is an IT get together so the invite list are people from China, Ghana, Russia, and Mexico, with others having deep roots to Jamaica, Austria and Italy.

Some good ideas so far, thanks!

Dean

I work for a company that also has a very diverse population from all over the world and all walks of life. What usually happens at the office "pot lucks" or a get-together is those from India will bring their native dishes. Different ethnic groups will bring their unique or favorite dishes. What ends up, every one who participates ends up show-casing their ethnicity and cultural uniqueness, their favorite dish, or something is is very common to their home culture. It's an opportunity to try samples from a lot of walks of life. Some turns out to be pretty good, some ... well ... my taste buds don't ALWAYS enjoy an international flavor! ๐Ÿ˜„

FYI, I also work in IT (Software Tester) for a very large organization.

I suggest then, you keep your dish simple. Stick with your favored ethnicity and just bring your favorite dish. If your "IT" department is like mine, everyone will enjoy sampling everything.

But for what it's worth, salads (without meats) are universal for EVERY culture all over the world!

Kebamo
Explorer
Explorer
Dim Sum

Dim sum

Dim Sum is not that difficult to make and very delicious.

Ingredients

Makes about 50 dumplings

50 (3.5 inch square) wonton wrappers.
1 pound ground pork (or you can use turkey )
1/2 tablepsoon fresh minced ginger root
2 cloves fresh minced garlic
1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onion
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 egg, beaten
2 1/2 cups very finely shredded Chinese cabbage

Directions

In a large bowl, combine the pork or turkey, ginger, garlic, green onion, soy sauce, sesame oil, egg and cabbage. Stir until well mixed.
Place 1 heaping teaspoon of pork or turkey filling onto the center of each wonton skin. Moisten edges with water and pinch the wonton skin up to form a little ball and to seal in the filling.
Set dumplings aside on a lightly floured surface until ready to cook.
To Cook: Steam dumplings in a covered bamboo or metal steamer for about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
Very nice served with hoisin sauce, hot Chinese style mustard and toasted sesame seeds.

Nice appetizer and easy to make
Karl & Bobbi
1994 Coachman Leprechaun Class C
2 B 1 ASK 1
Retired/DAV
Passport America Member R-0310475
Good Sams Club Member
KE3NF Advance Class Ham Radio Operator
Conway, SC. USA

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

Also, know your audience. If those participating are all mid-west farmers, they are most likely not going to like Suchi. If your participants are primary from India, they will not eat anything with meat. Know your participants and consider what the average appetite is.

Personally, I don't like beans and I don't like Mexican, and sometimes, I've left pot-lucks pretty hungry because of that.

I agree in most cases, however this is an IT get together so the invite list are people from China, Ghana, Russia, and Mexico, with others having deep roots to Jamaica, Austria and Italy.

Some good ideas so far, thanks!

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sloppy Joe sandwiches and Coney Dogs (hot dog with the Sloppy Joe hamburger-sauce on the bun). Add relish, onions, other condiments, and let them enjoy!

Develed Eggs
Any kind of cakes, pasteries, chips and dips.

The bottom line is, if you make something TOO unique, folks won't eat it. Make comfort food and it will disappear in a heart-beat.

Edit:

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like to have a theme for potluck get togethers.
Mexican food is my favorite. Last fall I had several people help me cook that grew up in a village in Mexico with no roads. We made everything from scratch on a fire. We played Mexican music and there was plenty of Spanish being heard. It was a smash.

Other great themes are Italiann food, Carribean food, Spanish paella, Chinese food, or pioneer food. I had a Lewis and Clark party in 2006 on the 200th Anniversary of their return. I cooked a buffalo roast in a Dutch OVen and roasted salmon on cedar fence boards over an open fire. People came in costumes. Great fun.

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
I have started taking corn. Just a bag or 2 of frozen corn prepared in the microwave, then add butter & salt, & maybe just a little pepper to taste. Have been doing this for a couple years(20+ potlucks), and have NEVER brought back any leftovers, in fact, it is one of the first bowls to empty. SO EASY!! Yet so good!! Gary
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Its her secret recipe, and is very good.

This is so sad. Good recipes, like good books are meant to be shared. Anything less is just selfishness which dies only when the "secret" recipe holder does the same.