cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Notifying disabled wife in case I can't?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
We can't RV right now due to wife's medical condition, but I'm wondering if someone can help? This "disabled" stuff is all new to us.

What do you think is the best way to notify others that my disabled wife is at home and will need help? Let's say I'm away from our house, maybe out shopping and I fall over dead or vehicle accident or what ever and I can't call her?

What is the best way to let others (probably first responders) that she is at home unattended? We do have a plan of what she should do if she is notified, but we want to make sure that she in fact notified in the event I can't.

I have her listed as "ICE" in my phone and have an instruction note taped to my driver license in my wallet.

Being this "disabled" stuff is new to us, surely there is a better way we haven't thought of, your thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
12 REPLIES 12

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
ol' yeller wrote:
OP what you are asking about happened to us just a month ago. Short story is got home from movie, left wife in handicap van (doors open fortunately) ran in to check on new rescue dog. He got out and ran towards busy street. I gave chase for 5 blocks in 95+ heat. He got hit and killed by a car. I dragged his body out of the road, collapsed on the sidewalk and my heart stopped. In our case I was able to gasp out that my handicapped wife was in the car in our driveway prior to collapsing but what if???

My point is that you can never plan for every emergency. I think you have things pretty well covered but I'd include the number of a neighbor or family member in your wallet (I left my wallet and cell that day in the car). I have been told by many that leaving my wife alone can be considered abuse of the elderly. I know however, that sometimes when something has to be done, it has to be done. When I leave her alone (she is quadriplegic) it is only for a very short time and I make sure she has access to her cell phone/Siri or Alexa so she can call me or get help. You and I have a tough road and you have my utmost respect.
MY wife is a quadriplegic too. We have property I go out and work on. If I croak while out, she will suffer until the next morning. It is a tough way to live but the alternative is nursing home. We pay a company to call us every morning at 10am. If nobody answers, they have set instructions of what to do/who to call. They call even when camping. We keep our kids informed of every place we stop. So in theory, I could croak at 1001am and she will suffer in her wheelchair until at least 10am the next day. There are no easy solutions sometimes.

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
Contact ARRP 1-800-775-6776 and subscribe/buy a medical alert system that is directly connected to emergency responders. When you leave the house your wife will have an alarm unit with a button, all she has to do is push the button and the emergency responders will automatically contacted. The alarm units are small enough to wear around her neck.

X'S 2

scoutken
Explorer
Explorer
EMREGENCY HELP
I am an 82 year young widower, polio savior. I live and RV alone. I believe the more active you remain the better you will be.

I RV in an older class B van, with bath. I use a cane for walking and a walker for longer walks.

I have a Phillips Lifeline system. It is VERY effective in managing help when needed. It uses GPS to fine you exact location. It can detect a fall, and get help with NO action from you, or you can push the neck button. You are in voice communication at all times. The system does REQUIRE ATT cell service.I simply DO NOT camp where I can't get ATT service.

I have emergency info posted in my RV, I ask the camp host and my neighbors to keep an eye on me.

Also I have had wonderful help from GoodSam TravelAssist during a couple of emergencies.

Enjoy your life and your RV. KEN
Ken Newkirk
Scoutken_99@yahoo.com
1988 Xplorer Xtra Van Class B
Check out my Adventures at:

groups.yahoo.com/group/KensBigAdventure

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP what you are asking about happened to us just a month ago. Short story is got home from movie, left wife in handicap van (doors open fortunately) ran in to check on new rescue dog. He got out and ran towards busy street. I gave chase for 5 blocks in 95+ heat. He got hit and killed by a car. I dragged his body out of the road, collapsed on the sidewalk and my heart stopped. In our case I was able to gasp out that my handicapped wife was in the car in our driveway prior to collapsing but what if???

My point is that you can never plan for every emergency. I think you have things pretty well covered but I'd include the number of a neighbor or family member in your wallet (I left my wallet and cell that day in the car). I have been told by many that leaving my wife alone can be considered abuse of the elderly. I know however, that sometimes when something has to be done, it has to be done. When I leave her alone (she is quadriplegic) it is only for a very short time and I make sure she has access to her cell phone/Siri or Alexa so she can call me or get help. You and I have a tough road and you have my utmost respect.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
My wife stays with the rv by choice.
I have a badge holder with a lanyard and wear it around my neck (I think they can be purchased at office supply places).
I have my name on one side and on the other side, I have emergency contact numbers, my vehicle info and anything else I want on there.
You could customize to fit your conditions.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Op here..
You got me going in right direction, things I never would of thought of or even knew existed!!!

Thanks for great responses.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
path1 wrote:
We can't RV right now due to wife's medical condition, but I'm wondering if someone can help? This "disabled" stuff is all new to us.

What do you think is the best way to notify others that my disabled wife is at home and will need help? Let's say I'm away from our house, maybe out shopping and I fall over dead or vehicle accident or what ever and I can't call her?

What is the best way to let others (probably first responders) that she is at home unattended? We do have a plan of what she should do if she is notified, but we want to make sure that she in fact notified in the event I can't.

I have her listed as "ICE" in my phone and have an instruction note taped to my driver license in my wallet.

Being this "disabled" stuff is new to us, surely there is a better way we haven't thought of, your thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Since you're soliciting information about when YOU are out and about and need to make a notification that something has happened to YOU, the things you've noted in your original message is a good starting point. Along the sames lines as mentioned elsewhere, you can buy a medic alert bracelet to wear on your wrist or around your neck, and have a custom engravement "see wallet instructions" so that your note attached to your drivers license is not overlooked. First responders always look for any sort of medic alert information, on the wrist or around the neck.

Something else you can do is type out instructions (so they are easily read) and put those instructions in a brightly coloured envelop, kept somewhere visible inside your vehicle. Print on the outside "In Case of Emergency". Could also be kept in the glove box or center console of your vehicle.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Where I live, the County Sheriff's Office has the R.U.O.K service available. When you sign up, you receive a recorded message once or twice a day at a time of your choosing. You decide the time of day/evening and number of calls you wish to receive. If you don't answer because you aren't going to be home for any reason and haven't alerted the Sheriff's Office that you won't be answering the call, the Dispatch center is alerted of the non answered call and either a trusted friend, relative, neighbor or a Deputy is sent to the residence to check the well being of the person that signed up. This has proven to be an invaluable service in our area and has saved many lives over the years.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We use "ICE" on our phone numbers too. But that only works if you phone is unblocked from using a password. If you have to access it with a password first, "ICE" on your phone list won't do you a bit of good. We disabled our passwords. Yes, taking a chance there at theft and usage, but we decided allowing anyone to access the "ICE" contacts was more important than worry about theft. We guard our phones like Fort Knox guards it's gold by the way!

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Contact ARRP 1-800-775-6776 and subscribe/buy a medical alert system that is directly connected to emergency responders. When you leave the house your wife will have an alarm unit with a button, all she has to do is push the button and the emergency responders will automatically contacted. The alarm units are small enough to wear around her neck.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
thestoloffs wrote:
First, contact the local Fire Dept. They may have stickers for the windows, indicating a person needing assistance in an emergency, and may also have lists of "people needing special attention".

Second, check if your locality (municipality, county, etc.) has a daily seniors check-in service -- either calling outbound or inbound, with follow-up.

Third, make friends with your neighbors.

In an emergency, either the PD or hospital will contact her if you're carrying ID showing her as next of kin. (Past experience -- 17 years fire/rescue & 5 dispatcher)

Ditto on what he said above.

Do you belong to a church? If so, ask the pastor or another senior member of the church to act as your official "next of kin" to be notified in case of your death. This would offer your wife some support in that case.

Do you not have any close friends or relatives that you could also include? When someone dies, there is lots and lots of paperwork, reporting, decisions to be made, etc. and it's hard for one person to do all those things. Make it easy on her or yourself by having a lot of that stuff easily accessible. If you have none of the above, how about talking to an attorney and giving them instructions to follow upon your death. Many funeral homes will also have someone that can help you will pre-planning and the many filings that have to be done.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
First, contact the local Fire Dept. They may have stickers for the windows, indicating a person needing assistance in an emergency, and may also have lists of "people needing special attention".

Second, check if your locality (municipality, county, etc.) has a daily seniors check-in service -- either calling outbound or inbound, with follow-up.

Third, make friends with your neighbors.

In an emergency, either the PD or hospital will contact her if you're carrying ID showing her as next of kin. (Past experience -- 17 years fire/rescue & 5 dispatcher)