cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kicking around the Idea of full timing but I need help.....

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
So we have thought about full timing multiple times but have never really landed on it because of $$$$. I have read about and watched people make this decision but they are usually some kind of internet worker or freelancer. So here is my question. Is there any families out there doing something different and making enough money? Right now I make a little over 80k / year and I would love to find something that pays the same or more to be comfortable full timing. I understand I wouldn't need as much but we spend most of our income on food because we try to eat healthy and have a family of 6. So any ideas on how to make decent money out there. I'm a pretty handy guy that usually does everything DIY. Thanks in advance.
37 REPLIES 37

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps you could capitalize on your travel experiences:

https://rvfta.com/
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Whew, I always hate these threads about families going fulltime- the responses here are so misguided. My wife, I, and 2 kids have been on the road for 3 years. We love it and don't have an end in sight.

We have great friends who have 6 girls and a lot of friends with 4 kids. More than 6 is a bit of a rarity, though they're out there. (I think the Kellogg Show has more than that.)

To the folks who said that fulltiming isn't about working fulltime, well phooey on you. ๐Ÿ˜„ I work a normal 9-5 from "home" and we travel every 1-3 weeks. I might not have as much free time as someone who doesn't work and lives this lifestyle, but it doesn't mean I haven't explored and enjoyed the country. Here's my 2017 Year in Review. My fulltiming might be different than yours, but please don't look down your nose at it.

To the folks who are concerned about the children's welfare- generally, this is just misguided. My daughter was 11 when we launched and is now 14. I can honestly say, she has better and more meaningful relationships with her friends than she did back in our stick&brick home. The kids on the road know that they need to keep in touch better. As well, she's able to make friends she wants vs. just the friends who live nearby. We plan some travel around seeing different people and theirs/our friends.

As for work, the options are limit-less. Though, trying to replace a $80k/year job is tough unless your skillsets allow you to work remotely from a similar job.

For trades, a good many of my friends work for RV Armor and do RV roofs, some are electricians and take contracts (2-3 months typically), and lots of pipeline and linemen workers.

I have one friend who is a safety officer on oil rigs; his company flies him to the rig for 2-3 weeks at a time and then he's off for 2-3 weeks.

I know one family who the wife camp hosts (for pay + free sites/discounts) and the husband is a handyman picking up oddjobs in the area.

As you mentioned, IT is fairly well suited for remote work. That's what I do; I'm a programmer by day and add supplemental income as a blogger. A couple of my friends are in IT- some traditional work from "home" like me, others actually travel and fly regularly.

As well, crafts and artisans can make a living either selling online or going to craft shows. My wife has just started a vinyl crafting business and has made + sold some really neat stuff.

A very small smattering of people actually make a living at MLM companies. But they're a super rarity and traditionally MLM companies tend to cost the person more than they'll ever make.

All told, there are a lot of opportunities but it really depends on where your skillset lies. Maybe pay for a membership to FlexJobs.com and look to see what kind of remote-work types of jobs they have.

The recommendation for Fulltime Families is an excellent one. They have a Members-only Facebook group that is an incredible source of information. In fact, they have a specialized group for Large Families on the Road.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Any employment that you can do from an internet would work.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m surprised at the amount of people trying to talk you out of it. Hereโ€™s a tip folks on internet civility.. when a poster asks a question your options are to offer something useful or not answer.

Anyways have you considered being a contractor and advertising what you do online? Like travel nursing but youโ€™re your own boss. You would be a 1099 worker. My part time job is an EMS coordinator for a hospital. When I accepted they changed it from hourly to 1099. Deducting mileage and expenses is nice. Iโ€™d love to full time but main job as a firefighter means Iโ€™m stuck. Unless they develop a travel firefighter program.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Check out the Xscapers;
https://www.escapees.com/community/xscapers/

"Working on the road or raising a family while nomadic is no longer a rarity but a rapidly growing segment of the RV lifestyle. Modern technology has provided new tools to make life on the road easier, making pursuing this dream increasingly possible for many aspiring RVers. Xscapers embraces this change and is ready to be a part of it with you. This isnโ€™t only our way of life, itโ€™s a conscious ideal."

Definitely check out the above site along with this one:

http://www.fulltimefamilies.com/

The couple who started the Escapees RV Club some 30 years ago worked and traveled. It's been done ever since. Today the newest group with Escapees are much, much younger and they work at many jobs... from their RV or something while traveling. Many of them have blogs or are probably on Facebook for you to contact them for ideas. If you happen to be near one of their gatherings just drop in even if you don't have a RV. They would surely welcome you and your questions. Many travel with families. It can be done!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
there are guys like the rv geeks who build web sites and rv full time. and many others on you tube that full time and work and make good wages, so the jobs are out there if you have the know how

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Xscapers;
https://www.escapees.com/community/xscapers/

"Working on the road or raising a family while nomadic is no longer a rarity but a rapidly growing segment of the RV lifestyle. Modern technology has provided new tools to make life on the road easier, making pursuing this dream increasingly possible for many aspiring RVers. Xscapers embraces this change and is ready to be a part of it with you. This isnโ€™t only our way of life, itโ€™s a conscious ideal."
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I've been full time since 2013. It is important to have an exit strategy in place. I'll be doing that in March of 2019.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
A good friend of our's works as a remote executive assistant, handling scheduling, making appointments, etc., for 5 or 6 high ranking executives in 4 companies. Her income is in the low 6 figures, and she works entirely from her RV. One of her clients is her former direct boss that got her started when he didn't want to lose her services when she wanted to take early retirement to travel in her RV.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years, I've met numerous full timers working in the construction trades. Some had families and kids, but I don't recall any having 6. Of course, if you're working in a certain area and have the itch to move on, as many full timers do, you'd have to quit that job and find another in the area you wish to visit. When I was full timing, I was retired with no desire or need to work, and couldn't fathom staying in one spot more than a month or so. But then, we all don't have "itchy feet".
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
36, 4 kids and you make 80K in Oklahoma... Not too bad of a gig... I have zero advice for you as I'm 55, make like 70k in Washington state with NO kids and could not even think of doing something like that...

Health ins is the biggest thing.. I can work a day or two remotely, but not full time and still keep my job..

Don't you think if there was a way to make 80k while being on the road with a family of 6, everyone would be doing it? Well, I'm sure there is a way to do that, but whatever that is, are you willing to do it?

No golden egg here... Just gotta find what works for you and your family and go from there.. How about taking a month long adventure with your family and then once the kids are out of the house and ON THEIR OWN, you consider the "full timing" life style?

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
If I were you, I would be very hesitant to give up an 80K job (if you like it) in hopes of replacing it as a full-timer. Maybe I'm missing something. Not sure why full-time if you will still be tied down with a full-time job. Nothing all that special in just living in an RV. Usually it's special if one has the freedom to travel in it, and lot's of time for fishing, hiking, etc. Doing it with a large family; I won't even go there.
Jayco-noslide

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
I think you need to do a lot more research like someone said healthcare costs with all those kids and I'm not sure you are going to find a new job starting at 80,000 which sounds like what you might need with that big a family
I don't think full timing is really that easy

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe "full timing" for the pleasure of the parents is a good for kids either emotionally or educationally, and while eating healthy is a great, it doesn't cost more when done with planning. Regarding making good money on the road, why did you ask without discussing your skill set? Skill set number one should be your kids BTY.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad