Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SoCal to Homer, AK trip in the planning

bikepsych
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks,
Planning on a trip up to Homer, Alaska from Southern California via Calgary. I went from SoCal to Halifax (and back) this past summer.

Some quick questions:
- Are there improved campgrounds along the route or best to boondock?
- Best mosquito strategy.
- Any "must see" stops along the route?
- What's the longest distance between diesel fuel stops?
- I'm ok eating at restaurants along the way, but want to also make sure that we cook onboard to maximize the use of the camper.

Any links to stories are always helpful. Anyone else going? ๐Ÿ˜„ Planning on 1-30 June.

BG
9 REPLIES 9

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't driven up since 2K, here is what we found back then;

-Campgrounds all over the place.
-Ben's, 100% Deet, totally safe.
-Yes, what are your interests?
-No idea, 100 miles maybe.
-Is #5 a Question?

Driving to AK. from So. Cal. is like driving to Newport, OR only longer.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
bikepsych wrote:
Hey folks,
Planning on a trip up to Homer, Alaska from Southern California via Calgary. I went from SoCal to Halifax (and back) this past summer.

Some quick questions:
- Are there improved campgrounds along the route or best to boondock?
- Any "must see" stops along the route?
- What's the longest distance between diesel fuel stops?
- I'm ok eating at restaurants along the way, but want to also make sure that we cook onboard to maximize the use of the camper.

Any links to stories are always helpful. Anyone else going? ๐Ÿ˜„ Planning on 1-30 June.

BG

Read the TCTR postings right in this very forum, many good stories of the journeys into Canada and Alaska.

If your a member of COSTCO, many of them sell diesel fuel (Costco Diesel)

It will be the cheapest price wise, we paid 2.99/ gallon at the Anchorage,AK store.

Many Walmart's have banned overnight parking in Alaska, all three stores in Anchorage have, while the Walmart in Fairbanks will let you stay forever.

Finding a place to sleep the night away usual isn't a problem in either Canada or Alaska.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

bikepsych
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
What month? Alaska trip is our bucket list from Vegas and next year it might actually happen.
You would not mind fellow campers to follow you, would you?
My only dilema is visit to my friends in Victoria, but the ferries are darn expensive.

Kayteg, drop me a Private Message.

BG

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, best route would be I-15, CAN 4, CAN 3 and Can 2 to Edmonton.
If you have not been up the Icefields Hwy, Go west on CAN 1 to Lake Louise, Banf, Jasper then into Prince George.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
What month? Alaska trip is our bucket list from Vegas and next year it might actually happen.
You would not mind fellow campers to follow you, would you?
My only dilema is visit to my friends in Victoria, but the ferries are darn expensive.

bikepsych
Explorer
Explorer
Great insight so far...keep it coming. Was going to head up the 15 all the way to AmCan border. Have to pickup my cousin in Vegas on the way.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
bikepsych wrote:

BG

Go early.
I got to the Kenai peninsula about May 3, went to Kodiak for a while, then gradually worked my way north to Deadhorse. Didn't see a mosquito until Fairbanks on the way back south about June 6.
Cal

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There is commercial, government campgrounds along the way. We do both dry camp and use campgrounds to replenish fresh water and dump holding tanks. June should be good for campgrounds with out reservations.
Fuel is readily available at most cities. Longest stretch is about 200 kilometers.
We were not realy bothered by mosiquitos. We didn't like the no-seems. They are a real pest.
We eat out occaisonally to get the locaal dishes. Reindeer sausage breakfast is a must. Gwennies in Anchorage.
Great dry camping on the spit in Homer just as you get onto the spit.
Get some reading materials like the Milepost and Church's Alaska camping.
Laird Hot Springs is a must!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
I assume your not in a real hurry? 395 north, I90 to Spokane, north across the top of ID on US2 cross to Calgary. From there NW thru Edmonton to Grande Prairie where you can get back on 97. Pretty direct, avoids most freeways, but enough places for fuel.