Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: The Campground Driveby
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> The Campground Driveby

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/18 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

And I thought this was going to be about golf carts.

lol, me too!

Been to a couple campgrounds where people drive around in golf carts.

At Fort Wilderness (Disney World), it is called "looping". We actually did looping for one day when we rented a golf cart. After going around a couple times, though, we went and did something else.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/18 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't sit at the campsite. We go to the pool, float/sit and people watch and criticize! Much more fun and much better scenery if you know what I mean!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

SusanDallas

Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/18 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the same problem in the subdivision where I live. It is in a very small rural area. Our houses are set on 1 - 5 acres. The whole subdivision is only 5 streets. This strange drive by behavior started almost 2 years ago by people who had just moved in recently. It first started in the spring 2 years ago. My street has only 4 houses on it & I own 2 of them.

One morning, I was eating breakfast & this silver pickup drove by going very slowly. I wouldn't have noticed but their engine was loud. This pickup drove by every 30 minutes all day long. I thought at first they were looking for a loose dog, horse or goat. After the third day, I called the county sheriff. The police parked at the end of my street and observed this person drive by several times. The only thing the sheriff could think of was maybe this lady was learning to drive since she never left the subdivision. The only thing is sometimes it was a man alone in the pickup.

After about a week of this behavior, I got in my car and followed her. I wanted her to know that I was following her because I wanted her behavior to stop. This must have upset her because she pulled into her driveway on the street next to mine and got out. She had a baby in a carrier in the pickup with her. I drove off and went home. I would never confront anyone. I am a chicken but I wanted to find out what she was doing. She drives around the whole subdivision then goes in her house. Twenty minutes later, she loads the baby back in the pickup & the whole process starts over again.

I wouldn't have been very concerned but my rental house next door to me was vacant. I was worried that they were scouting the area for something to steal. Anyway, this has gone on now for almost 2 years. They start around 7 am & it goes on until I go to bed. Most of the time it is the woman. I believe her husband must work. Mostly, on the weekends, it is her husband doing the drive by.

One day this last winter, it was sleeting and 17 degrees outside with the wind blowing. This woman still put her baby in the pickup and continued her every 30 minute drive by all around the subdivision.

This is very odd behavior and I have yet to figure out why they do this. I thought at first the woman had some obsessive compulsive behavior but her husband drives by also. If any police officer or psychiatrist has an answer to this I would love to know. After watching this for almost 2 years, I just ignore it but it is still a mystery. Strange but True.

lovemountains

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/18 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe she is driving around to put her baby to sleep.

momentum rv

Central Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/18 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ralph Cramden wrote:

It must be that we normally avoid the holiday weekends and typically arrive on the Monday for the week. This time we came early. Has anyone noticed the campers who evidently get great joy from riding around and around campground loop roads, over and over. I lost count with one guy at 47 passes over two days. Its not my gas or time, and I could care less what they do, but we're getting some good laughs watching these people riding around. Must be boredom or am attempt to show off the tow vehicle.

It's the same people that are constantly walking around during concerts.

2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

Mich F

Plantation, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/18 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SusanDallas wrote:

We have the same problem in the subdivision where I live. It is in a very small rural area. Our houses are set on 1 - 5 acres. The whole subdivision is only 5 streets. This strange drive by behavior started almost 2 years ago by people who had just moved in recently. It first started in the spring 2 years ago. My street has only 4 houses on it & I own 2 of them.

One morning, I was eating breakfast & this silver pickup drove by going very slowly. I wouldn't have noticed but their engine was loud. This pickup drove by every 30 minutes all day long. I thought at first they were looking for a loose dog, horse or goat. After the third day, I called the county sheriff. The police parked at the end of my street and observed this person drive by several times. The only thing the sheriff could think of was maybe this lady was learning to drive since she never left the subdivision. The only thing is sometimes it was a man alone in the pickup.

After about a week of this behavior, I got in my car and followed her. I wanted her to know that I was following her because I wanted her behavior to stop. This must have upset her because she pulled into her driveway on the street next to mine and got out. She had a baby in a carrier in the pickup with her. I drove off and went home. I would never confront anyone. I am a chicken but I wanted to find out what she was doing. She drives around the whole subdivision then goes in her house. Twenty minutes later, she loads the baby back in the pickup & the whole process starts over again.

I wouldn't have been very concerned but my rental house next door to me was vacant. I was worried that they were scouting the area for something to steal. Anyway, this has gone on now for almost 2 years. They start around 7 am & it goes on until I go to bed. Most of the time it is the woman. I believe her husband must work. Mostly, on the weekends, it is her husband doing the drive by.

One day this last winter, it was sleeting and 17 degrees outside with the wind blowing. This woman still put her baby in the pickup and continued her every 30 minute drive by all around the subdivision.

This is very odd behavior and I have yet to figure out why they do this. I thought at first the woman had some obsessive compulsive behavior but her husband drives by also. If any police officer or psychiatrist has an answer to this I would love to know. After watching this for almost 2 years, I just ignore it but it is still a mystery. Strange but True.

Perhaps they've appointed themselves the "Crime Watch" team for your subdivision. [emoticon]

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/18 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First you find the sites that look good, level etc..
Then you check them out several times per day
For shade, sun angle, etc..

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/18 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

was the driver young? I've seen people give driving lessons and practice.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/18 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SusanDallas wrote:

Maybe - since you have determined that she lives in your neighborhood, you should bake a pie, take it over to her and start a conversation.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mooky stinks

Cicero,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/18 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've driven around campgrounds for all different reasons. Recovering from surgery and cannot walk for long periods of time. To look at other trailers or get ideas of what screen tent we wanted. Even when our dog was so sick she didn't have the strength to go on a walk but loved to ride with her head out the window. Sometimes we drive around just to see how full the campground is. I never thought it would annoy someone so much.

2017 Silverado 1500 LT, Max Tow

2012 Outback 277RL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> The Campground Driveby
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS