cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DP door locations and Floor plans

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. Starting to look at DP`s. Looking for opinions on floor plans and door locations.
I`m noticing that some have a mid coach entry door, never realized they did that on DP`s. I like the door up front because it seems to keep the mid side of the coach open for more floor space or seating.
I know we will want a bath and a half and at least 3 slides.
FWIW, we are looking at between 2013 and 2015 around $100-$140k. I have no problem waiting for the perfect one so I can look for a while, we wont be buying for at least a year or so. just doing some pre purchase research.

Thanks everyone!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
30 REPLIES 30

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
I love the mid door on my coach, it is so much easier to load, my wife sits next to me instead of being pushed back, the door never ends up way up in the air and it is under the main awning. Also, I do have a front drop down bed that is quite popular with my family. But, each to his own.

Thanks. The door location isn't a deal breaker. So wherever it ends up on the coach I buy is OK. I think Im looking around 07-10. that seems to be in my price range. So those will not have the drop down bed. Still looking at brands and layouts.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love the mid door on my coach, it is so much easier to load, my wife sits next to me instead of being pushed back, the door never ends up way up in the air and it is under the main awning. Also, I do have a front drop down bed that is quite popular with my family. But, each to his own.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Excursions were a great rig for TTs with a family. By the time I desperately wanted and needed one, they quit making them, the used market skyrocketed, and I had to go to a big block suburban unfortunately.

Yep, and the big block burbs are even harder to find!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Excursions were a great rig for TTs with a family. By the time I desperately wanted and needed one, they quit making them, the used market skyrocketed, and I had to go to a big block suburban unfortunately.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I always get that question. Well, I work at a Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram dealer. Used to have all Mopars. Then I bought the X to tow a larger trailer. I wanted a HD SUV and only drive the best. If Dodge made one I wouldโ€™ve bought it. :B

And because I only want whatโ€™s best is why Iโ€™m asking here! Yes I know Prevosts are best, but that is just a bit out of my price range. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Hello everyone. Starting to look at DP`s. Looking for opinions on floor plans and door locations.
I`m noticing that some have a mid coach entry door, never realized they did that on DP`s. I like the door up front because it seems to keep the mid side of the coach open for more floor space or seating.
FWIW, we are looking at between 2013 and 2015 around $100-$140k. I have no problem waiting for the perfect one so I can look for a while, we wont be buying for at least a year or so. just doing some pre purchase research.

Thanks everyone!
Just curious why Dodge Guy drives an Excursion in the pic ๐Ÿ™‚

You'll have fun, there are a lot of nice coaches out there in that range. Check out floor plans to see what suits you best, then you can work the year to match the budget after that.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
mike brez wrote:
Do a search for Thor

Thor does own Entegra these days, so hopefully they won't be dragging it down and since it's one of the better newer coaches out there for the money, nowadays. As for the mindset of newness and price for an entry level rig, it's pretty hard to change an individual's thinking and no matter how much advice they seem to be asking for.

Yes I know that and have read that Thor is leaving them alone and nothing has changed with the Entegra line.

Well, that's good to know and with now owning 17 different brands, including Airstream, you'd think they'd leave some of the quality brands alone, instead of cheapening them. Can't say that for some companies, like REV Group, who seem IMO, to be dragging down American Coach, just for one example.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
mike brez wrote:
Do a search for Thor

Thor does own Entegra these days, so hopefully they won't be dragging it down and since it's one of the better newer coaches out there for the money, nowadays. As for the mindset of newness and price for an entry level rig, it's pretty hard to change an individual's thinking and no matter how much advice they seem to be asking for.

Yes I know that and have read that Thor is leaving them alone and nothing has changed with the entegra line.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
Since you mentioned high-end coaches like Prevost, try here:

Panterra

They buy Newells and Prevosts, go through them and sell them. I think their prices are reasonable. We bought a small B+ from them they had on consignment. We had some title problems (not their fault), but they stood behind it and said they would buy it back if the situation didn't resolve. Fortunately, it did and we took that little coach to Alaska the following year and never had any problem. Still have her.

Newells are all mid-entry, I believe. Very high end coaches and the ones we saw when we were doing business with them were beautiful. They don't buy basket cases. They actually buy most of them in Florida and drive them back to Michigan and go through the DOT process on the engines, etc.

If we ever are in the market for such a coach, we will try there first. We thought they were very honest business people and no high pressure.

Dale

I think you'll find, it's only older Newells that are mid entry and before slide rooms became the most popular thing going. That's the problem with older and higher end, which would be my preference, except for finding 1 1/2 baths and min. 3 slides that would meet our budget. As a result, we had to settle for newer, but at least with some real quality.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
Do a search for Thor

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Since you mentioned high-end coaches like Prevost, try here:

Panterra

They buy Newells and Prevosts, go through them and sell them. I think their prices are reasonable. We bought a small B+ from them they had on consignment. We had some title problems (not their fault), but they stood behind it and said they would buy it back if the situation didn't resolve. Fortunately, it did and we took that little coach to Alaska the following year and never had any problem. Still have her.

Newells are all mid-entry, I believe. Very high end coaches and the ones we saw when we were doing business with them were beautiful. They don't buy basket cases. They actually buy most of them in Florida and drive them back to Michigan and go through the DOT process on the engines, etc.

If we ever are in the market for such a coach, we will try there first. We thought they were very honest business people and no high pressure.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search for Thor
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank everyone.

So I`ve come across some. Thor Palazzo`s seem to come in around $115k for a 37footer with 2 slides. although from the looks storage seems to be lacking. The Forest River Berkshire also come in around $130k for a 37footer with 3 slides. Storage looks OK, but they don't seem as nice as others. Then I find some 08-11`s that have quite a bit and are going for around $75-100k. Lots of Thinking and looking to do.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Thanks everyone!

I have to agree with others, on your year/budget being entry or mid level at best.
Always repeating myself on here, but for cutting through the chase, just choose a side radiator chassis of your choices and drop back in the years until one, fits your budget. This way, everything else having to do with quality, just falls into place and since we're talking DP's here.
As for the entry door, the up front is most popular, with not many mid entries around and there are reasons for that, which includes a better passenger side, slide room area.
Speaking of the entry door, that's where most shoppers head for first and whereas the discriminating buyer, first looks in the rear. Can't see the engine for the radiator covering it up, then keep walking!