cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping in Jasper area last two weeks of Septembe

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
We are to be in the Jasper area around September 20th. I have a 37 foot fifth wheel and have camped in Whistler campground before. I’ve never been in Wapiti but it says it’s open for winter camping whereas Whistler is closed on the 30th. Anyone camped in Wapiti that can offer opinions about it? We are driving up from Texas to meet our daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren. We love the area. Any advice would be welcomed. We’ve been in September before but not quite that late in the month.
17 REPLIES 17

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Heck, go on North!! You can't predict the weather any better than the "forecasters" and you're there now!! We were there at the same time in 2015, and had everything weatherwise, but that didn't make the trip a bust!! Next week may have a warming, clearing trend, but time will tell!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
I’m here at Lake Louise Campground after three wonderful beautiful days with daughter, son in law and grandkids. But they have left this morning and it’s now raining. I’m trying to decide whether to go north. They keep saying to me that the campground water here is shut off but it’s not. So I’m able to fill my freshwater tank. I’ve got two extra 30 lbs bottles of propane and trying to decide whether to face the elements and have an adventure. We sure have had a great time. It’s been wonderful.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it's the 21st and according to the webcams, it's snowing in and around Jasper.

All other things considered, it looks beautiful.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51:

We must have similar tastes, I prefer Wapati as well. I like the trails down by the river and we've been quite lucky with our sites in that we've had a number along the river. We usually stay in the far South loop so there's the river and the creek.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
with the cold weather you might enjoy the hinton/jasper koa full hookups wifi and cable

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the section that's left open for winter is just the parking lot on the north side, not really great 'camping' sites but at least it's a place to stay.

Yes, a paved parking lot with hookups, and a nice shower building. Big rigs will find it small.

We choose the main part of the campground with more private sites because we don’t need to hook up. I like it better than Whistlers because it is smaller and a very short walk from the river for many sites. Easy to walk to the showers in the “parking lot.”

I read somewhere that Whistlers will be closing for a year of renovation.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't doubt it, we were at Whistler in Jasper just a couple weeks ago and it snowed the day we left.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

weasel4
Explorer
Explorer
With the weather we are having here right now, bring snow shoes.

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. We are all looking forward to the trip.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I have never camped in Wapiti but I bike around it all the time. If I had to choose it would be whistlers all the time. Wapiti is much smaller loops, and as you said not serviced. The overflow is as described...a parking lot but still stunning views. Generator hours are posted for both campgrounds with an hour or two in the am, and again in the PM. We have always had reservations for Whistlers but were always there July/Aug, so not sure how end of Sept would be but I suspect things will be quieter. Typical mountain weather, cool/cold nights with frost and freezing temps are almost guaranteed. Could be snow on the ground so be prepared for that also. Stunning place to visit, enjoy your trip.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the section that's left open for winter is just the parking lot on the north side, not really great 'camping' sites but at least it's a place to stay.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be ready for snow and freezing temperatures at night.

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Did you have reservations at Whistlers or was there space available? How big is your RV? I only need to run my generator a couple of hours so that seems great. Thanks

Imbriaco
Explorer
Explorer
We're in Lake Louise now and just spent 5 days in Jasper at Whistlers. Generators are allowed in am and pm for a couple of hours. However, seems some folks near us at Whistlers ran them all day. We didn't go into Wapiti so not sure how many large sites they have