Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 GMC / FIFTH WHEEL or bumper pull?

Meals
Explorer
Explorer
HI,

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab - 5.3L - 6 1/2' box.
I am wondering where to start?

*5TH wheel or bumper pull?
*kind of hitch in a 6 1/2' box?
* planning to NOT buy a new camper
* Needs 2 sleep 2 adults and a couple of grand kids now and then.

Thanks Much

Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, post in the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
13 REPLIES 13

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
It is a 1/2 ton. I like the idea of a 5th wheel. I see some, new and used that are listed as 1/2 ton tow-able.

Your 1500 chevy can safely carry/tow a 5th wheel trailer...however it would be a very small one like this one https://www.allencampermfg.com/upload/199%20RB.pdf.

We have several 1/2 ton trucks that can safely handle a 10k 5th wheel trailer. Not all 1/2 ton trucks are created equal. Most may are a std duty specs such as a 6800-7000 GVWR and small 3800-4000 RAWR. Your may be the std duty 1/2 ton GM truck.

Ford F150HD has a 7850-8200 gvwr and 4800 rawr.
'00 to '06 1500 GM HD has a 8600 gvwr and 6000 rawr.
Mid '00 1500 Dodge Mega Cabs have a 8510 gvwr and 6000 rawr.

Your truck can handle a larger size TT than a 5th wheel trailer. A 8k gvwr 5th wheel can have 1600 lbs of hitch weight alone not counting the hitch and folks and other gear in the bed/cab.

What your truck can handle depends on..
GVWR
RAWR
engine size
gear ratio
auto or manual tranny.

Gotta' have specs to determine how much load it can carry and how much it can pull.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Meals wrote:
I see some, new and used that are listed as 1/2 ton tow-able.

RV Marketing BS!
Only a handful of properly spec'd 1/2 tons can safely tow a 5th wheel, unless it's a 19' fiberglass Escape 5th wheel.

You need to look at your GMC's payload capacity, subtract 100lbs for the hitch, weights of driver and passengers, any options not added by the GMC factory(bed cover for example)and truck cargo.
What you have left over, will be the max amount the loaded pin weight can be.
Sierras are usually heavier than their Silverado cousins because of all the pretty bling they have, therefore lower payload capacities.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
TT only.

I wouldn’t try a fiver with that truck.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
What axle ratio do you have? Do you have the full tow package?
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Escape RV makes a 5th wheel that your truck should handle without problems.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
X2 donn0218 I tried it with a 2012 GMC witn the same engine and rear end. pulling a 5500 lb fifth wheel. It was not a comfortable ride.
Traded for a TT at the same weight. Much better.
Your truck will pull a fifth wheel, but you may not like it.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
There is no way in hades you should consider a fifth wheel with your short bed half ton. YOU SIMPLY PUT, DO NOT HAVE ENOUGHT TRUCK!

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Dealers use the "half ton towable" to sell trailers. It "may" tow it but will have a very difficult time stopping it and towing it "comfortably". I towed a 27' TT with a newer Tundra; towed OK but once I got my 3500 diesel and a 5th wheel, I am surprised how well a diesel tows! Night and day!

Towing with a half ton truck is taxing on the nerves and white knuckles. I really don't think you will enjoy driving unless your'e only camping an hour or less away from home. Research this forum, there are a lot of posts about this subject.

Good luck.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since payload is where half ton trucks seem to falter first, a travel trailer will be your best bet for getting a rig that should be roomy enough for you and your grandkids. It is the pin weight for all but the very smallest fifth wheels that will take most if not all of the available payload your tow vehicle may have, TT tongue weight is less demanding on your payload capacity.

Check label on your driver side door jamb for you vehicle specs, pretty much anything loaded in your truck other than the driver will subtract from your payload. That being said there should be plenty of used light and ultralite TTs on the market that should do the trick, watch for any leaks as they are common and always not so obvious. Take your time, be thorough when inspecting unit.

Meals
Explorer
Explorer
It is a 1/2 ton. I like the idea of a 5th wheel. I see some, new and used that are listed as 1/2 ton tow-able.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
That looks like its a half ton Chevy; you are limited and your best tow will be a short/small TT under 27'. If you want a great tow then you'd need/want at least a 3/4 diesel and best would be a one ton (not much $ difference). Then you could tow almost anything but most of all you could choose many 5th or TT trailers.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
There's are pro's and con's to both. You'll have to decide what you need.