cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is it time to leave?

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to the gulf coast for a family visit. This is our first trip south with our fifth-wheel during hurricane season. At what point do you say time to get the heck out of dodge.
Would you sit through a tropical storm? Or head out before that.
Would you wait till the hurricane warnings are posted?
I do not plan on staying around for the mandatory evacuations.
How do the campgrounds react if you cancel your stay because of the severe weather?
13 REPLIES 13

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
Do not become part of the problem, if you know the hurricane is coming to a location were you will be camping or even close by then don't go, they will have enough problems without you adding to them ... Don't be part of the disaster within the disaster, not only may you loose your nice trailer but your life or one of your love ones lifes, what so important that you want to chance that Ugh !11!

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking that if a hurricane makes it to the southern tip of Florida it is probably time to head north. Depending on where the track is of course.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Most business in hurricane zones are pretty reasonable...they really don't want to clean up the mess if there are dozens of broken up RV's strewn about the park.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
grizz272 wrote:
How do the campgrounds react if you cancel your stay because of the severe weather?

I have zero experience with hurricanes, but...

I have never seen a business that didn't have a cancellation policy. Almost always right on the web site. Why don't you check with them?

It will vary, but the most common is to lose your deposit if you don't show on the first day, or give 24-48 hours notice. Once you've stayed that first night, no penalty for leaving early. Likely there will be some grace for inclement weather, but what you have to do is ask them.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a truck wash and stay in it till the storm passes. They will not be busy during the storm anyway. Take plenty of booze for your nerves. Also if you have someone with you take turns holding the brake if they leave the doors open. Just a thought. P.S. take some common sense with ya.
Dennis Hoppert

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Make sure you have a full tank of gas and get out at least a few days before any evacuations will start.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go enjoy your trip, stay alert without being obsessive and react to the situation if it changes. If I ran every time there was a hurricane threat I would be away from home two months out of the year. Play Safe and Have Fun
--------------------------------------------------------------
Ditto on that, you cannot predict weather so there is little use trying. This time of year a Gulf storm is less likely, despite the one that they just had. Most late season storms are far off in the Atlantic. Like the one out there right now. The Gulf tends to get storms at the beginning of the storm season so avoiding the Gulf coast in May and June may make some sense but you almost always get plenty of warning now days.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Explorer II
Explorer II
grizz272 wrote:
We are heading to the gulf coast for a family visit. This is our first trip south with our fifth-wheel during hurricane season. At what point do you say time to get the heck out of dodge. This depends on where you are. I would leave earlier in south Florida more than south Texas. The gulf coast covers a lot of territory.

Would you sit through a tropical storm? Depends on where I am and the situation. I would consider it if the eye tracks east of me at a reasonable distance. If you expect the eye to be within 50 miles, move 50 miles away from it, wait a day and come back. Stay away from trees and low-lying areas wherever you park.

Would you wait till the hurricane warnings are posted? Yes, watch the weather broadcasts often

Go enjoy your trip, stay alert without being obsessive and react to the situation if it changes. If I ran every time there was a hurricane threat I would be away from home two months out of the year. Play Safe and Have Fun
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I would opt for postponing the trip, even if you lose your deposit. The last thing an area needs during a weather even like this is more people in the area than necessary.

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Delay your trip. You can always go later. If your worried about CG, and Cancelling, your reservation, and losing your deposit. It will be a toss-up if you lose your deposit or not? Best of luck in your decision.
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
If you are staying at a state park they will come around and give you a time to be gone by and refund your money. Haven’t had any experience with private parks. We were at Rocky Bayou in Niceville, Fl last weekend and was supose to leave Tuesday on Monday the Rangers came around at about 1:00 and told us that we had to be out by 5 pm that evening and our refund had already been done due to the incoming tropical storm.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you do stay during a storm, try to find a high place. It may not overly rain where you're at, but it could rain a lot heavier north of you and all of that water will come your way.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
grizz272 wrote:
We are heading to the gulf coast for a family visit. This is our first trip south with our fifth-wheel during hurricane season. At what point do you say time to get the heck out of dodge.
Would you sit through a tropical storm? Or head out before that.
Would you wait till the hurricane warnings are posted?
I do not plan on staying around for the mandatory evacuations.

You go when you think it is prudent, IF there are high winds, and torrential rains forecast. I leave earliest. Your safety is in your hands.
As for what the CG does. some will not charge if the storm is there. Some will. At most if you cancel, all you will lose is your deposit. Much better than your life.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers