cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Titan XD Towing with the 5.6 V8

Quadcab
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just wondering if anyone out there is towing a 32'+ TT with this truck? Very close to committing to a purchase as DW and I want to upgrade from our 1st generation Titan with the same engine. I am told the newer V8 has been upgraded with additional HP & torque, and the XD chassis is a big upgrade as a towing platform. I know most people on this forum are Ford, Chevy & Dodge truck owners, but I would not trade my current Titan for any other. It has been the most trouble-free vehicle I've owned, and the only reason we are letting it go is my best camping bud really wants to buy it. Do not want a diesel - no way, no how! The truck is the Super Cab with a 139.8" wheelbase and 2560 payload. We want to pay off the truck in 4 years, then retire without any loan payments hanging over us. Any one care to share some real world towing experiences? Thanks much!
Quadcab
2018 Titan XD 5.6 V8 Kingcab
2018 PT Crusader Lite 28RL
21 REPLIES 21

RG53Hornet
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:

Need to ask the obvious question here... if the Blue Ox hitch was working well, why did you step up to the ProPride hitch? Most just don't go and spend $2500+ to replace the hitch because they wanted to. Sorry if that comes off as confrontational as it's not meant to be... I'm genuinely curious.

No offence taken. Like I said the Blue Ox did well but I still had the push-pull on the trailer from passing Buses and Big Rigs. It did not upset the truck but I could see the trailer in the mirror move left than right as each big rig passed, sometimes making an extra swing on the rebound. Now I am sure this is due to the design of our trailer. The kitchen with all its heavy stuff is all the way in the back. Countertops, cabinets, refrigerator, stove, microwave, water heater and furnace. That's got to add up.
Yup, that hitch was expensive. But I sold the Ox for a good price and used my tax refund for the balance, so not as painful.
Keystone Cougar 33MLS
2018 Nissan Titan XD

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
RG53Hornet wrote:
I have run it at first with a Blue Ox hitch and it did well but last year I stepped up to a Pro-Pride. Love the Pro-Pride, I have to keep reminding myself to slow down and put two hands on the wheel its so relaxing.

Need to ask the obvious question here... if the Blue Ox hitch was working well, why did you step up to the ProPride hitch? Most just don't go and spend $2500+ to replace the hitch because they wanted to. Sorry if that comes off as confrontational as it's not meant to be... I'm genuinely curious.
I love me some land yachting

RG53Hornet
Explorer
Explorer
Quadcab wrote:
Just wondering if anyone out there is towing a 32'+ TT with this truck?

We do. Tow a 36 1/2 foot Travel Trailer...9,200 lbs loaded and ready to camp. The truck weighs 6,800 with a full tank of fuel, me and the Mrs. and the two dogs, so we are 16,060 on the road. I have run it at first with a Blue Ox hitch and it did well but last year I stepped up to a Pro-Pride. Love the Pro-Pride, I have to keep reminding myself to slow down and put two hands on the wheel its so relaxing. I keep falling back to one handed driving and looking down to see 70mph plus! The gas 5.6 handles the weight well, no problems merging into traffic or out turning onto the highway from a stop. The hills we have run with it (Missouri Ozarks) it will rev but that's what gas engines do. It will return about 7mpg on the runs on I44 from Springfield to St. Louis (hilly with some grades up to 5-6%, never a problem holding 65mph) and between 8 and 9 in the flatlands of Illinois.
As for the reliability, it seems to be still a bit of luck of the draw. I had a 2016 first and Nissan bought it back. My replacement 2018 has been perfect so far for the 6 or 7 months I have had it. I see some on the Titan Forum with many problems and some with none at all. The gas I think is a much better choice than the Diesel, too many emission type issues with the oil burner.

Keystone Cougar 33MLS
2018 Nissan Titan XD

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerem0621 wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
demiles wrote:
GVWR of over 8500 is all it needs to be class 2b, your or anyone elseโ€™s opinion doesnโ€™t matter.

100% correct. What matters is when you sit a cube or two or about a ton and a half or more of bricks in the bed, and the 4900lb rated semi floating axle decides to snap in half and the wheel comes flying off then what? Then it won't matter much be it rated 2b, 2d, or even 2x on some piece of paper somewhere. But I would expect, based on your sig, to never get that point across so honestly do not know why I ever made it in the first place......note to self....avoid all truck threads:B

Lol...because so many semi-float axles snap in half with tires flying around. Iโ€™m lucky to make it through the day with so many axles snapping. Lol

Glad my wifeโ€™s Lincoln MKC has full float axles. Never losing a tire on that bad boy.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Ahhh Lighten up Francis......just making a point that because a vehicle is classified as X because it weighs X does not mean its as capable as another classified as X.

It was meant lighthearted. :). Should have thrown one of these in there :B

Everything I post is lighthearted.....its an online board lol. I hate emojis.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
demiles wrote:
GVWR of over 8500 is all it needs to be class 2b, your or anyone elseโ€™s opinion doesnโ€™t matter.

100% correct. What matters is when you sit a cube or two or about a ton and a half or more of bricks in the bed, and the 4900lb rated semi floating axle decides to snap in half and the wheel comes flying off then what? Then it won't matter much be it rated 2b, 2d, or even 2x on some piece of paper somewhere. But I would expect, based on your sig, to never get that point across so honestly do not know why I ever made it in the first place......note to self....avoid all truck threads:B

Lol...because so many semi-float axles snap in half with tires flying around. Iโ€™m lucky to make it through the day with so many axles snapping. Lol

Glad my wifeโ€™s Lincoln MKC has full float axles. Never losing a tire on that bad boy.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Ahhh Lighten up Francis......just making a point that because a vehicle is classified as X because it weighs X does not mean its as capable as another classified as X.

It was meant lighthearted. :). Should have thrown one of these in there :B
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerem0621 wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
demiles wrote:

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
demiles wrote:

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
With the 9.8" semi floating axle, the XD gives up brute strength right here.
Substantial axle enough for med loads and bumper pull towing.
Not even close in strength for heavy axle loads (like big pin weights).
Not a debate, just reality.
By all accounts it's a good stout truck that has roughly HD truck chassi specs all around save for the rear axle.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
demiles wrote:

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
demiles wrote:

Another good example of labels not meaning much.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
demiles wrote:
FYI this is a class 2b truck not class 2a(half ton)

FYI only based on its GVWR. What is its RAWR and FAWR and how does that compare to other class 2b trucks? Is that rear end semi floating or a full floater? Those are what determines the difference in class in most peoples books who use trucks as trucks, not GVW or Wikipedia.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iโ€™d say it will serve you very well. Like to hear some long term reliability on them but no reason to believe it wonโ€™t be as good as your old one with more power, gears and improved chassis.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do it...great truck.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH