cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement tires

mgann
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1995 Mallard model 19n (21ft)by Fleetwood, dual axles.It's time to buy new tires. What brand do you like? I just started the online research and finding a lot of mixed reviews.
2014 Chevrolet 1500, crew cab, srw, 2wd, 4.6 gas, Stock class V, 1995 Mallard by Fleetwood model 19n
34 REPLIES 34

floor_guy
Explorer
Explorer
ok, thanks Teamfour and Lynnmor

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
floor guy wrote:
my question is......old tires took 65 psi, new tires take 80 psi, does this mean better gas mileage and smoother ride?

Maybe a little better gas mileage, but it will be so small that you will never measure it.

Higher tire pressures equals a stiffer ride. Higher pressures are for higher load carrying.

You still did good but not for the above reasons.

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
GY Endurance for us. Several thousand miles and they are great so far. Noticeable improvement in handling.
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH

floor_guy
Explorer
Explorer
after a blowout on 2 year old factory installed tires, I just replaced mine with goodyear endurance on my t.t. my question is......old tires took 65 psi, new tires take 80 psi, does this mean better gas mileage and smoother ride?

furballs
Explorer
Explorer
Changed to Goodyear Endurance last fall. TT is a hair over 9K lbs. We have had the TT for many years. Having ST tires that limited to 65mph max was annoying. I don't really have much opportunity here in the NW to go much faster, but I do like pulling right at 65 (or a tad more) and did not like being constantly at the design max. Eastern Wa is mostly high desert with summer temps typically in the 90's. I've destroyed 3 Marathons on other TTs I've owned. Last year I ordered a F-350 CC LB diesel with the trailer tow package that reads trailer tps and has the rear camera. The tires had to come off to put in tp sensors. When I started the tire changeover I found that the stock wheels and the OE tire sizes were only barely sufficient (imho) to handle the loads put upon them. No steel wheels were rated high enough. I ended up with alloy wheels and load range E Endurances. Now truck and TT tires take the same max PSI, 80. We are nearly 19K when taking the ATVs and stuff in the truck. It feels good to be hauling with new iron and good rubber. Good luck all.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I am now using the new Goodyear Endurance -- USA made, higher speed rating than Marathons.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ll probably replace the Maxxis tires on ours next year. I will look at LTs and the Goodyear Endurance.
There most likely isnโ€™t a manufacturer of anything that hasnโ€™t screwed up a product and then tried to hide the fact or not take responsibility. If I went with that as a premise to buy a vehicle, I guess I would have a couple oxen pulling the camper with stone wheels.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah well my truck has.......who cares? OP asked about trailer tires.
I've come to the conclusion in 25 years and as many trailers/tires/situations that it's less about the brand and more about the age, care, pressure and luck than it is the brand.

Have hauled to Alaska on a set of the cheapest OE bias trailer tires that were about 3 years old and that one trip wore most of the tread off. No flats or issues.
Just replaced the China bomb tires on my boat trailer that were 8-9 years old. AFtEr a 200mi round trip, before a 1000 mi round trip. Old tires never gave issue.
On the flip side I've had 4 year old Kumhos literally bubble and explode sitting parked.

Get some new tires, get LR D for the added capacity for a minimal upcharge and tow happy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
My new RAM in 2015 came with Firestone and I believe that is still the tire on the SRW models. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
As if people stopped buying Firestone even after the two largest recalls in tire history.

Firestone went from 10.5% OE market share in 1999 to <5% in 2016, so yes people did stop buying from them.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Have had good luck with tow masters
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
mgann wrote:
I did not know of the Goodyear cover until just now. May have to revisit this and buy something else.

Take a close look at the Provider tires JIMNLIN mentioned. They have a long time proven record, and likely better price than the GYs. Most Endurance owners are happy so far, time will tell. They and the Carlisle HDs are similar built, and speed rated, like the more proven Providers.

You can see/read about the Providers at etrailer. These are what I am running.

Jerry

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
As if people stopped buying Firestone even after the two largest recalls in tire history.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
mgann wrote:
I did not know of the Goodyear cover until just now. May have to revisit this and buy something else.
Those were motorhome tires.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman