Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Potential TT owner looking for advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Potential TT owner looking for advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/18 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Short answer, not ideal and likely not enjoyable.
Add 1000lb min to dry weights to estimate ready to camp weight.
Possible, yes. Confortably? No.
Personally I'd stick to pop ups or Rpod type/size campers with a mid size SUV

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/18 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kavoom wrote:

camp-n-family wrote:

Another consideration is how much do you plan to carry in the tow vehicle? All seats filled? The new tow rating standards account for 150lbs for a driver and the same for 1 passenger. Any weight added to the vehicle above 300lbs will reduce your tow rating pound for pound.

Towing with a 4 cylinder engine with a CVT (Ascent) is not going to be fun in the mountains at any weight. My coworker tows an Rpod with a Kia Sorento. Lightly loaded with he and his son and he says it struggles to hold highway speeds in the flats.

Subaru's are not Kia's.

Well aware thanks. Read the whole post. The OP asked about towing with the Subaru but also indicated using his Kia, that’s why I included that statement.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Bottleofsmoke

Yakima, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/18 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for all the replies. I was originally looking at a Kia until i realized Subaru had recently come out with the Ascent. (I'm a longtime Subaru owner - on my fourth now.) Subaru has been really pushing the towing capabilities of the vehicle, but it's such a new vehicle that it's still hard to find many people with experiences to share. The few i've found have been very positive.
Subaru's vid (I know it's advertising, and not to take it literally) has the Ascent pulling a 4300lb Airstream in Oregon with 6 passengers, dog, and a trunk full of gear.
Ideally a nice big truck would be great, but needs must and a mid size SUV is best for the family. I'm not in any rush, so i can wait and see how the Ascent seems to perform.

PAThwacker

East Stroudsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/18 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never heard of an Ascent and tow vehicles with CVT transmissions is asking for trouble. All we see on roads these days are newbies with single axle full height trailers. They will be used inventory quick once they bend axles, have a blow out, or blow up the transmission or snap a belt in a CVT.

2007 R-Vision Trail Sport 26-QBS
2007 Jayco 1206 Pupup
2004 k2500 Suburban LT 6.0/3.73 Captains.
Lowe Bass Catcher Pro Mod-V Welded 50hp Mercury
Bell Chestnut Prospector 16ft Royalex
Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4 Camo

xteacher

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/18 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look at a fold down camper, such as an Aliner or a popup. Even if a TT is within your weight limit, pulling a full sized TT is like pulling a sail into the wind. If you still want to go with a TT, the R-Pods are probably your best bet. I have a couple of friends who pull an R-Pod 178 with a 4-Runner with no problems. However, I think the 4-Runner is beefier than either of the cars you're suggesting, even with the same tow rating.

Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Bottleofsmoke

Yakima, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/18 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So....if i were to buy a used truck what kind of thing should i look for? It would be used for nothing but towing. A bit during the summer and a few weekends spring and fall, so only something basic is needed. It would need to be enough to pull around 4000lbs GVWR.

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/18 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winnebago has a few TTs that you could tow. Sometimes you have to drive several hours to find a dealer with the TT you want.

2008 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, 3.73 rear end, tow package, Prodigy Brake Controller, Equal-i-zer Hitch.
Trail Cruiser TC23QB

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/18 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Subaru Outback and have been following the Ascent as we also have a Chevrolet Traverse which is a direct competitor. From a Powertrain perspective the turbocharged 2.4L should do well. Subaru has been using and refining their CVT for a while - 5yrs, 10yrs? I have towed about 2500 pounds with my 3.6L and CVT which is more than adequate. I would like to understand more about the Ascent's CVT design and programming before fully recommending.

I have not seen any as equipped payload or receiver limits yet on the Ascent either. These are often limits for mid-sized SUVs below the 5000 pound tow rating. The manufacturer site lists 500 pound receiver limit so that should be confirmed on vehicles.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/18 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bottleofsmoke wrote:

So....if i were to buy a used truck what kind of thing should i look for? It would be used for nothing but towing. A bit during the summer and a few weekends spring and fall, so only something basic is needed. It would need to be enough to pull around 4000lbs GVWR.

Just about any half ton with a V8 will do and the Ford Ecoboost.
Probably any V6 midsize:Frontier, Tacoma, Canyon/Colorado.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/18 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about the Spokane RV show in January? Great place to shop without to much pressure, 200 or more RV's,eat a good meal at the Spaghetti Factory? Huh? Sounds good to me.
I think pulling much of a trailer larger then a VERY small one will tax your tow vehicle. Think about leaving Yakima and going to Ellensburg-then returning. You'll be up hill slow & downhill fast! I recall an old adage; "no substitute for cubic inches."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Potential TT owner looking for advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS