cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are NADA prices accurate?

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
Are NADA prices accurate? I keep seeing listings with people asking way more than NADA and wonder if these people are getting what they are asking or are they in fantasy land. I just saw a 1997 roadtrek 190 versatile with a sign in the window asking $21,500. The base NADA price (no options) ranges from $8,800 to $10,800 (retail). They are asking double NADA and it's a private sale. What are people paying? Should I expect to pay close to NADA for an average condition RV and a bit more for a great one or is NADA very low?
15 REPLIES 15

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still shopping.

TrVlBug
Explorer
Explorer
To Skibum,
Did you buy it and what did you pay? Are you happy with it? We are looking at a 97 and having similar questions. Thanks.

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the answers.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
The value of a motor vehicle or RV is not an absolute figure, not even close but rather the amount a buyer is willing to pay so an "accurate" figure is not possible by any source. But I think NADA is an estimate at least based on some data and not just pulled out of the air so I use it as a place to start. It would be like asking a relator what my home is "worth".
Jayco-noslide

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Most people who are selling a late model rv are not in fantasyland, they're in upside down debt land because they first paid way more than they had to, and second they took the 120 or 144 month financing. Even 4 or 5 years after the purchase they still owe as much as they paid, thevting has depreciated close to 50%, and they'll never admit to making a bad financial decision. They're making a vain attempt at breaking even.

The free online NADA is not the subscription version used by dealers.

^^^^ This ^^^^

Make a low-ball offer and if they say "no" tell them you're not financing their mistake and walk. Eventually, they will get the picture!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
x2 most B,s bring good money

X3
Probably the only RV that 'ridiculously increases' in value as you use it!
Although those used pop-up owners are almost right up there with the used roadtrek prices. :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 most B,s bring good money

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the responses you are getting are from folks who obviously don't know about Bs. When we were looking the prices were always much higher than NADA. And yes - we paid a lot more than one would think for our used Roadtrek - more than our first home. :E

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree NADA is nearly useless on older motorhomes, particularly when talking about sought after models. They also lump things together WAY too much, for example according to NADA every 1997-2002 sub 30 foot class A motorhome with no slides built built on the P32 chassis has the exact same $15,150 value regardless if it were a entry level Fleetwood Flair with vinyl graphics and particle board cabinets that had an MSRP of $63,000 or an upper end Safari Trek with full body paint, real wood cabinets which had an MSRP of $119,000 when new.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Used Roadtrek's are always notoriously high priced.
AND the sellers usually get what they are asking.

Law of supply and demand for used ones.

I found NADA does not have all the options listed that can be on a MH and therefore IMHO useless for using for pricing. It's just a guideline nothing more.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
SkiMore wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Most people who are selling a late model rv are not in fantasyland, they're in upside down debt land because they first paid way more than they had to, and second they took the 120 or 144 month financing. Even 4 or 5 years after the purchase they still owe as much as they paid, thevting has depreciated close to 50%, and they'll never admit to making a bad financial decision. They're making a vain attempt at breaking even.

I understand upside down, but are they getting what they ask?

Are the prices in the dealer version of NADA very different than the free one I'm looking at?

1...For the most part no.....unless they luck into finding another sucker.

2....The average retail is close to the same, but even dealers seldom get average retail on a used rig. The subscription version gives you different ranges including wholesale value. If you want to estimate wholesale value take the low retail number at online NADA and subrract 35%. Thats what a dealer will offer on trade if a rig is in Pristine condition. He'll then list it at average retail intending to get somewhere in the middle or less.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:

I understand upside down, but are they getting what they ask?

Are the prices in the dealer version of NADA very different than the free one I'm looking at?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
In my limited experience, once you're past 15 years old, NADA is useless.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v