cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealer wants to increase Tongue Wt on Blue Ox Rating

surfs-up-today
Explorer
Explorer
I am buying my first trailer and pick it up Thursday. Can't wait! The dealer wants to install a BlueOX with a rating significantly higher than my tongue weight and I don't know why. Should I go with it?

Here is the info:
TV: 2015 Expedition(NonEL) GW Measured on CAT scale as I will use it loaded to max 6600 lbs
TV: GVWR/ Max Trailer, GCWR 7500/9200/15200
TW Max from Ford: 920
TW Max I will use do to TV Cargo Weight Limit: About 750 lbs
Travel Trailer Dry/GVWR/Expected actual 6100/7500/7100

Dealer wants to put a 1500lb Blue Ox on. He has all sizes in stock. I would think I would need a 750, or 1000lb version.

Is it common practice to go over to the next size up (or two) on the Blue Ox? What are the pros and cons of doing this?
18 REPLIES 18

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good luck to you. Sometimes regardless of how you try to "manage" physics can be a cruel mistress. You probably will not like 750lb tongue weight on a 7100lb trailer but you've got enough payload left to max out the tongue weight capacity of the Explorer, so I would not worry about it.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
hawkeye-08 wrote:
Have you asked the dealer why 1500lb instead of 1000lb? He may have a reason we are not aware of.

I was thinking the same thing. Since the BO relies on spring bar deflection to resist sway, the heavier bars might offer better sway control at the expense of a slightly stiffer ride.

However making the bars too stiff can just cause the receiver to act like a spring instead.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
hawkeye-08 wrote:
Have you asked the dealer why 1500lb instead of 1000lb? He may have a reason we are not aware of.

I was thinking the same thing. Since the BO relies on spring bar deflection to resist sway, the heavier bars might offer better sway control at the expense of a slightly stiffer ride.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

surfs-up-today
Explorer
Explorer
I pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for all your replies. I CAN"T WAIT! Although this is my first TT, and at 10:30 am or so I will be rolling out of the dealer, I am absolutely positive and overconfident that I can state a fact..with zero uncertainty....about the all the weights and percentages....it will never be better!.

In all seriousness, thanks for the inputs. I have chosen a wonderful travel trailer that "needs to managed" weight wise. I get it. I look forward to posting my experiences and tips for others that choose similar set ups (on a new thread).

It will be the Blue Ox 1000 with a target TW on my scale of 750-850 depending on TV cargo load.

Thank You Again
Surfs-up-today.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
A 7500lb trailer with 15% tounge weight is 1125lb.

Do they have a 1200lb model?

Also is the 920lb Ford max TW with or without weight distributing hitch?

Looks like you might be slightly over your GVWR when you add the TW to the 6600lb base weight
I am a HUGE fan of a high TW percentage.

But in this case, he has a hard limit of 920#.

The 1000 bars are more than enough
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
There's one universal rule to RVing: It's ALWAYS heavier than you think it is.

You think the tongue weight on the brochure is accurate? It's ALWAYS heavier.

You think you're "only" going to put 500lbs in the trailer? It's ALWAYS heavier.

You think only 10% of what you put in the trailer is going on the tongue? It's ALWAYS heavier, and in this case that's a good thing. Most travel trailers need more than 10% tongue weight for towing stability. More typical is 13%.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I always say to add 1200lbs to the dry weight. Then figure on 12.5% of that for TW. So 7200lb would be approx. 865lbs TW. Go with the 1000lb system. Bars have ratings for a reason. and too much is not a good thing!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
A 7500lb trailer with 15% tounge weight is 1125lb.

Do they have a 1200lb model?

Also is the 920lb Ford max TW with or without weight distributing hitch?

Looks like you might be slightly over your GVWR when you add the TW to the 6600lb base weight
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

surfs-up-today
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. I will go with the 1000.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
5 votes for the 1000 pound bars, plus yours makes 6. Zero for the 1500. Majority opinion rules. But your's is the only one that actually counts! Good luck!

And congrats on the new camper!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
I'd go 1,000. The Blue Ox system is designed to flex, and maybe your dealer isn't familiar with that since all other brands are designed for much less flex. It will ride far better with the proper range bars.

x2

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go 1,000. The Blue Ox system is designed to flex, and maybe your dealer isn't familiar with that since all other brands are designed for much less flex. It will ride far better with the proper range bars.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
For your reference: Our trailer is 10,000 Gross weight. We are using the 1500 lb bars on our Blue Ox SwayPro...This set up has been perfect for both leveling and sway control.

Keep in mind that the SwayPro must have bar "deflection" to work properly.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro