cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wind Cave, SD to Ft. Robinson, Crawford, NE

BigMac
Explorer
Explorer
Planning next year's late summer trip. Two possible stops are Wind Cave in SD followed by Ft. Robinson. One trip planner says take SD SR-71 south from Wind Cave to NE border where the route re-identifies to NE SR-2/71, eventually intersecting with US-20W to get to Crawford. Good Sam trip planner on the other hand states to take US-385 all the way to US-20. I drive a 36' Class A with toad. Does anyone have experience on the SR-71 route suggested above? Just curious why Good Sam Trip Planner wants no part of it. I have nothing in the settings that says to avoid that type of highway. Thanks in advance.

Mike and Cindy

FMCA / Good Sam Member
2016 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34 PA
2010 Pontiac G6
3 REPLIES 3

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Been a couple of years, but 385 to 26 to I80 was our go to to Kansas City. 385 is a great road 70 mph.

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
I've never driven the 71 route, but I'd just go the 385 route. It's only a few miles longer. The 71 route might be "too remote", never heard of anyone taking that route. I'd guess the roads are wider via the 385 route also.
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II

Bruce_Kyles
Explorer
Explorer
Mike: have done the 385 trip both ways and is a very good road with good shoulders. Have not done 71 so cannot comment. We stopped at Ft Robinson last year and did two days there as there is lots of history with the fort. Have been to the Black Hills 5-10 times so lots to do there. One suggestion would be I see you are from Ohio and I would look at coming out hiway 20 instead of running interstate. I don't know how fast you run but I love running 20 instead of 90 or 80.
2003 Dutchstar (reskinned/paint 2009)
2016 Ford F150